Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
To me it would come down to what ever one you think looks the best. Both intakes make within 2-3 hp of each other which is not enough to feel on the butt dyno.. You really can go wrong either way. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Love my CAI and as others have said you can customize it if you want.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
if you're choosing between CAI and Roto-fab, just go with whatever look you like more. Like tyler said, you're only talking about a couple of horseys difference. I think when i bought my roto-fab with a yellow box and couplers, i got it for about $40-50 cheaper than the CAI as well.

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
I've got a Roto-fab getting put on soon. I had mine hydro dipped to macth the rest of my car. U can get the black plastic and have it CF dipped. There r a lot of colored CF films out there. Ck for pricing though.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
For me, I couldn't justify the price for the CAI's slight (if any) performance difference over the Roto-Fab. I got my basic Roto-Fab and saved ~$100 (maybe more) over what I could have spent on a CAI brand.

Both perform well, and the CF options on the Roto-Fab may be an equalizer WRT price. You have to decide how much you want to spend and what looks best to you. Both will perform and sound great, IMO.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Well... do you want cheapest, or do you want best? I chose best and for me it was CAI w/ the air scoop and washer bottle relocate. Great setup, looks great, easy install, and yes... the scoop does make a difference.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
IOM2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I love my Vararam intake. Don't count it out just because it's not the most popular.
IOM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Well you have a 2013 so a vararam is outta the question.

Look into a haltech, rotofab or ADM race intakes. All 3 are plastic and can also perform. The intakes tested were on a chassis dyno and not out in the world or track.

I've had a vararam since 2010 and have had "0" issues.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Well you have a 2013 so a vararam is outta the question.

Look into a haltech, rotofab or ADM race intakes. All 3 are plastic and can also perform. The intakes tested were on a chassis dyno and not out in the world or track.

I've had a vararam since 2010 and have had "0" issues.
Unfortunately this is true with the ram air style Vararam cai. I think they are coming out with a more standard underhood boxed cai tho. I chose Vararam because of the way it functions. Outside air is forced into the throttle body as the vehicle moves. This is probably the best and most direct way to get the coldest possible air into your engine. I have the tuned version on my 2010 and it fit fine, looks great, and I get compliments about it everywhere because it looks different that typical systems. In fact, you can even have it painted and make it look like it is from the factory. However like said before, you cannot use it on the 2013. If you're in the market you probably should wait for the JacFab intake to hit the streets...depending on how long that is and how long before you're ready to buy. I think that system is going to be a top performer.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Unfortunately this is true with the ram air style Vararam cai. I think they are coming out with a more standard underhood boxed cai tho. I chose Vararam because of the way it functions. Outside air is forced into the throttle body as the vehicle moves. This is probably the best and most direct way to get the coldest possible air into your engine. I have the tuned version on my 2010 and it fit fine, looks great, and I get compliments about it everywhere because it looks different that typical systems. In fact, you can even have it painted and make it look like it is from the factory. However like said before, you cannot use it on the 2013. If you're in the market you probably should wait for the JacFab intake to hit the streets...depending on how long that is and how long before you're ready to buy. I think that system is going to be a top performer.
Air is NOT forced into the TB, unless you have a turbo or SC. The VR mouth isn't even directly in the air path. The air is diverted to the mouth via the radiator. Then inside the mouth is a big filter. It's IMPOSSIBLE for the air to be forced through all that. IAT's at cruise are at ambient, as are a few of the others. Idle IAT's are very high since it's sucking air right off the radiator. JacFab has a cool design but it's been in the works for over a year now. Jason has a lot of irons in fire and he's a perfectionist so who knows when it will hit the market.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #25
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Air is NOT forced into the TB, unless you have a turbo or SC. The VR mouth isn't even directly in the air path. The air is diverted to the mouth via the radiator. Then inside the mouth is a big filter. It's IMPOSSIBLE for the air to be forced through all that. IAT's at cruise are at ambient, as are a few of the others. Idle IAT's are very high since it's sucking air right off the radiator. JacFab has a cool design but it's been in the works for over a year now. Jason has a lot of irons in fire and he's a perfectionist so who knows when it will hit the market.
Perhaps I chose my words poorly. However, the mouth of the intake sits in over and angles down in front of the radiator. If you were to look through the grille, you could clearly see the mouth. The mouth is wide and leads straight to the high flow air filter and then through a screen and into the throttle body. The only thing to slow the air is the filter. The angle of the mouth over the radiator is not sever. If you were to see it you could definitely see the direct path the air takes into the TB. And believe it or not, but unless you're stuck in traffic or at a light for a long time, the temps do not get too much higher. Once you start moving they instantly decrease. I did a test of mine on a 95 degree day. Unfortunately I forgot what the temps were but I have it written down so maybe I can find it.

And Jason better hurry up with that intake. By the time it hits the market the 6th gens will be out, lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Perhaps I chose my words poorly. However, the mouth of the intake sits in over and angles down in front of the radiator. If you were to look through the grille, you could clearly see the mouth. The mouth is wide and leads straight to the high flow air filter and then through a screen and into the throttle body. The only thing to slow the air is the filter. The angle of the mouth over the radiator is not sever. If you were to see it you could definitely see the direct path the air takes into the TB. And believe it or not, but unless you're stuck in traffic or at a light for a long time, the temps do not get too much higher. Once you start moving they instantly decrease. I did a test of mine on a 95 degree day. Unfortunately I forgot what the temps were but I have it written down so maybe I can find it.

And Jason better hurry up with that intake. By the time it hits the market the 6th gens will be out, lol!!
I understand what you meant but VR has worn out the "RAM AIR" terminology with shady claims. I believe someone else did IAT testing with the VR unit and showed that it heated up extremely fast, compared to the other CAI's. They do drop quickly once you're moving, which you'd expect. Not sure if someone has done a IAT test with the scoop to see how it compares. I haven't heard much from Jason in a while, which makes me wonder if he's active working on it anymore.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
thanks for all the input fellas! im probably going to go with CAI because the intake being enclosed makes more sense than just the seal of rubber on the roto-fab like my K&N has. now the only question left is CAI in black or chrome..hmm lol
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
thanks for all the input fellas! im probably going to go with CAI because the intake being enclosed makes more sense than just the seal of rubber on the roto-fab like my K&N has. now the only question left is CAI in black or chrome..hmm lol
On a black car you gotta go with the black intake.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote