Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,513
Another QTP Cutout Motor lost to the heat of passion

This makes number 4 or 5. Iíve written good reviews on here (still one of my favorite mods ever!) and my first motors lasted four years
...but then I got headers and high flow cats...and now Iím certain the higher temperatures are screwing up the gears in the motors.

The upside is QTP is honoring each and every motor warranty! Those guys are awesome to work with. The downside is I donít see a solution in the near future.
(The other upside is, the motors are super easy and quick to change but itís getting kind of old )

Iíve tried heat shielding, lowered my play time with them....hell, itís a garage queen!

I donít know what to do...Iím truly out of ideas.
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
ARrado15
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 146
Hmm, I was considering going with QTP, but I hear that with the high-flow cats and headers that the motors burn out really quick. How long roughly are you getting on these motors before they are shot? Might just be going with the noweeds one day!
__________________
2011 Camaro SS - Kooks 1 7/8" LTH - Kooks HFC - Solo Mach XL Catback - CAI Intake - VMAX TB - Howards ASA Cam
ARrado15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrado15 View Post
Hmm, I was considering going with QTP, but I hear that with the high-flow cats and headers that the motors burn out really quick. How long roughly are you getting on these motors before they are shot? Might just be going with the noweeds one day!
It varies with each motor and if youíre FI which is more heat. I was considering noweeds but then I saw the video where they caused such a rumble they activated the side air bags!

Thereís GOT to be a solution. All this technology and we canít keep a couple of motors from burning out or create a way to open and close cutouts next to high temperatures? Whereís all of our engineers!
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
Gunmetal Speedster


 
Gunmetal Speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middletown, Ohio
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
It varies with each motor and if youíre FI which is more heat. I was considering noweeds but then I saw the video where they caused such a rumble they activated the side air bags!

Thereís GOT to be a solution. All this technology and we canít keep a couple of motors from burning out or create a way to open and close cutouts next to high temperatures? Whereís all of our engineers!
If you're referring to GuitarmageddonZL1, yours wont do the same. He is gutted with no sound deadening, that is why his blew haha. He made a video after that explaining what all contributed to that happening, the normal camaro owner is fine lol
__________________
504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed ē Cold Air Inductions intake ē Bo White ported TB ē Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes ē NPP catback ē QTP low profile cutouts ē Powerbond 25% UDP ē 3.73 gears ē JRE scoop ē ZL1 grille ē R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors ē built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
If you're referring to GuitarmageddonZL1, yours wont do the same. He is gutted with no sound deadening, that is why his blew haha. He made a video after that explaining what all contributed to that happening, the normal camaro owner is fine lol
You have that? Iíd like to watch it, cause Iím not even sure what was ďguttedĒ. I remember he also had the windows down.
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
SynergyGreenSS

 
SynergyGreenSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
You have that? Iíd like to watch it, cause Iím not even sure what was ďguttedĒ. I remember he also had the windows down.


He literally had nothing in the inside of his car. No carpet in the back, no rear seats, no sound deadening, nothing at all. I️ have noweeds and my car is pretty loud, and I doubt Iíve ever gotten close to the airbags going off
__________________
2011 SS L99
LSA Supercharger, GPI VVT SS1 Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, Flex Fuel, Vmax Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3Ē pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #7
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
He literally had nothing in the inside of his car. No carpet in the back, no rear seats, no sound deadening, nothing at all. I️ have noweeds and my car is pretty loud, and I doubt Iíve ever gotten close to the airbags going off
Looks like no weeds it is then.
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
Texas_RS

 
Texas_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dfw, Texas
Posts: 890
Any noweeds Black Friday deals....?
__________________
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
ARrado15
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 146
Ive been looking for a black friday deal for this. I really hope they come out with a deal!
__________________
2011 Camaro SS - Kooks 1 7/8" LTH - Kooks HFC - Solo Mach XL Catback - CAI Intake - VMAX TB - Howards ASA Cam
ARrado15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,513
Another motor gone. Iím so done with these. I thought I could hang in there with the occasional motor change, but itís gotten ridiculous and the cutouts are not closing at the most inconvenient times.

QTP, understandably, wonít keep replacing the motors anyway, and Iím tired of changing them....

I still recommend them as a great product, but I must move on to a better product. Sorry guys.

:(.
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder
 
christianchevell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,090
you should have done mechanical not electric...IMO .....
__________________
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
you should have done mechanical not electric...IMO .....

Do you mean manual?
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
camguynj


 
camguynj's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 NPP BRM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Another motor gone. Iím so done with these. I thought I could hang in there with the occasional motor change, but itís gotten ridiculous and the cutouts are not closing at the most inconvenient times.

QTP, understandably, wonít keep replacing the motors anyway, and Iím tired of changing them....

I still recommend them as a great product, but I must move on to a better product. Sorry guys.

:(.
Could try relocating them to the rear of the car next to the mufflers like this guy did

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=qtp+profile
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Could try relocating them to the rear of the car next to the mufflers like this guy did

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=qtp+profile
To much trouble. With noweeds thereís no welding and I wonít have the motor problem because theyíre farther away from the heat source. Besides, thatís not the sound I want.
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet. 142=0.25x-58 equus ferus caballus output measuring units.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.