Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
HUD stopped working

My heads up display stopped working today. Has anyone had this issue? If so, what was the fix? Everything else in the car is working and all the fuses are good. The car is a 2012 so I don't know if the warranty is expired or if I voided the warranty with all my upgrades.
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Try resetting the cluster display by pulling fuse F4.

See page 10-46 in your manual.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I gave that a try, no luck. Thanks anyways!
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
MesaENGR412

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Alright, time to resurrect an old thread here. My HUD just seemingly died yesterday. It had been doing the whole fade in and out thing, never fully disappearing but it would go dim on its own every once in a while.

Yesterday, I got in the car and as I was pulling out of a parking spot the HUD dimmed slightly, then got extremely bright and then just went off. I have checked the driver's compartment fuses and they all seemed fine, and disconnected the battery for a while. Neither did anything. Tried moving the HUD and twisting the brightness knob, and cycling it through the different display options. Nothing. Just a black void where my tach and speed used to be.

So, I am wondering if anyone has had a fix for this (a reset, loose wires somewhere? Can you tell if it is still getting electrical signal?) or is it a "Unit must be replaced" deal. What is the life expectancy of these things? My car is a 2012 with 62k miles on it. I figure it is a projector bulb of sorts? Also, is there any other way to get to it besides removing the ENTIRE dashboard? Judging by the side of the units on eBay, I don't see it being able to come up through the hole cut in the top of the dash for the display to reflect off of the windshield. I have read through several other threads on this forum, and several have had the problem, but it seems to have been left there since most of them seemingly happened while still under warranty. Mine is a few years past any warranty I do believe. I also didn't know if GM had acknowledged and problem with these at all or if 6 years and 60,000 miles is a normal life cycle of a Heads Up Display. Thanks for any information.

-AJH
MesaENGR412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Not really sure if there is a fix for it, but you can pull the connector from it that is behind the instrument cluster and check if there is power still going to it. And I don't think it can be taken apart and bulb be replaced very easy. And no, can not get it out without taking the whole dash out. The screws that hold it in are vertical. Would be very hard to get them in after taking them out.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
MesaENGR412

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Thank you Coz3z3 for the info. I appreciate it!

-AJH
MesaENGR412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
mkmgraham

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Ever figure out a fix? Mine is doing it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic/Silver stripes, black Interior. Halo conversion, Diode Dynamics grill lighting, LED interior and fog lights. Sundown 8" DVC, Altrend 300.1 Amp, Handmade side-mount box. Soon to be BBK Headers and hi-flow cats.
mkmgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #8
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
they are a module....if you have power and ground and the communication lines are active, the module itself has an internal fault
Old 03-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
QuandAns42

Drives: audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmgraham View Post
Ever figure out a fix? Mine is doing it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, clusters can have problems just like any other part. The problem with clusters is that, other than changing out bulbs, there's not much you can DIY- messing around with them can actually be illegal to prevent people trying to fake mileage and such.
I don't like having the dealership as my only option so I was stoked when I found https://www.instrumentclusterstore.c...t_clusters.htm and since clusters are all they do- they're super solid to work with. Give 'em a call and they'll walk you through whether its a repair or replace situation.
QuandAns42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
Dylan gentry

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
So I have a problem my heads up display and my radio went out and I changed the radio fuse in the back and I try the HUD fuse And I still can't get them to turn on if anyone knows the fix or any ideas plz let me know
Dylan gentry is offline   Reply With Quote