Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
2015 Camaro Ss 1le

Drives: 2015 camaro ss 1le
Smile Time to Change Brake Pads

Hi Everyone,
It's time to change brake pads now i have 30,000 miles on Original brake pads. I need suggestion what should i choose now OEM brake pads, Hawk Street Performance pads or Hawk Performance Cermanic pads. I never take my car to track. I am daily driver so i need long lasting brake pads.
Thanks,
2015 Camaro Ss 1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
If you are happy with the performance of the factory pads, go with those again. Want a little more performance, Wilwood Pro Matrix are very good. Ran those under track conditions for more than a year and still had life left. No squeal or overheating, though dust was slightly more than factory. JDP sells the Wilwoods.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I just changed out my OEM rotors and pads after 60k miles. I went with EBC redstuff and R1 slotted premium rotors. So far I am loving it!

I actually gave the Wilwood Pro Matrix pads a try a while back and they felt odd to me. I wasn't quite happy with their performance, although they weren't bad.

So far the EBC pads and new rotors are very grabby in a good way and more consistent than the OEM pads/rotors.

I got them for a really good deal from Ohio Speed, highly recommend giving Jim a shout there.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #4
joepeinado

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP
I tried autozone GT pads and coated rotors. They feel great and stop good compared to my stock pads. I was skeptical at first because "autozone" but they are good and plus side is no rust on the rotors base
Attached Images

Last edited by joepeinado; 03-28-2018 at 12:03 AM.
joepeinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
We have the Wilwood ProMatrix pads and love the performance. The only downside I can see is if you get them hot and then go back to normal street type driving, they are loud for
a while. If you stay aggressive, they are not loud. These brakes do not have the dampener weights like the stock Bremo Pads. Long a short, I think they stop better, but they can be loud.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Drives: 2011 SS and 1988 Sport Coupe
You either have street brakes, or you have track (road course) brakes.

There is no suitable compromise.

TLDR version:
If the pad is inked “FF” you are good to go for general assholery-street-driving in your SS Camaro.
The Carquest Platinum pads are FF.

TMI follows:

Ferodo Racing builds the boutique-branded “Brembo” pads for GM.

First thing to know is, just because it says “racing” in the name of the producer, does not mean it is intended actually for racing.
Our Ferodo/GM/ACDelco/Brembo roller-skate pads are NOT intended for racing.

FERODO RACING
• Ferodo site is at http://www.ferodoracing.com/products...e-pads/ds2500/
• Only in regard to Ferodo products, the number you want to be looking at is the “DS” number.
o Our Ferodo/GM/ACDelco/Brembo pads have a very low number: DS1000 (inked on the backside of the pad).

• The LOWEST number mentioned on the Ferodo site is DS2500. Here is what Ferodo says about the 2500:
o DS2500 is amongst the foremost high performance track day pads in the business. It is also suitable for some light duty front and many rear pure race applications. It offers excellent refinement for such a high performance pad. The main characteristics of DS2500 are:
 Track day & light race use for all vehicle types
 Road style refinement but with race material ability to withstand heat with respect to life and ĩ
 Average friction coefficient of 0.42 over working temperature range of 20°-500°C

• I can’t find the reference currently on the Ferodo site for our GM/ACDelco/Brembo 1000 pads. However a guy on one of the forums found this on the Ferodo site previously:
o "HP1000/1 is what is labeled DS Performance when sold into Brembo. A slight upgrade on that would be DS2500. Both of those two materials might be considered high performance road/light track use materials. Beyond that, from our portfolio, you would be entering true race materials territory and hence DSUNO, DS1.11 & DS3000. "
o Note the word “upgrade” being a subjective term, and being discussed in the context of RACING.

FRICTION RATING
Apparently US DOT requires sellers of brake pads to put specific codes on the sides (or backs) of the pads to indicate the type of material.
• DOT has a chart that de-codes it: http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm
• The code on the back of the Advance Auto Carquest pads is “FF” ---- per the notes beneath the chart “considered to be the minimum for a high performance pad.”
• Note that the GM/ACDelco/Brembo 1000 “skate” pads have that same “FF” friction rating.
• I neglected to record the code for my Wilwood pads.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Two things are the take-away from this:
• If you drive on a racetrack, and you are standing on the brakes in every corner, you will definitely want to use pads that are good only for driving on the racetrack.
• If you are running race pads on the street, you are going be unhappy with your brakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by W.E.G.; 03-28-2018 at 03:12 PM.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Be forwarned that you will NOT likely be furnished with new pins for your front brakes.

I have no idea WHAT IS THE PROBLEM with the brake-pad vendors that they can't manage to get new pins in the box with the front pads for our car. They seem to have no problem including the REAR PINS (which are different from the front pins).

There are vendors on eBay and Amazon that will sell you new front pins for SS cars. The pins run about $20 for a set of four.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
W.E.G.
breaker of things

If you are wondering whether you can re-use the existing pins, yes you can.

Sort of like how you can re-use the old valve stem when installing new tires.

The dark ring you see on one end of each pin in the pic is a spring clip that has to be driven into the recess of the rotor. Those rings rot from exposure to the elements. If one of the dark rings snaps, there is NOTHING but pressure of the silver pad-clip then (barely) holding the pin in place. The pin could easily walk out if the dark-ring spring clip snaps, and if you have any sort of driving-conditions wheel vibration which might make the silver clip shudder.

Wouldn't that be fun?

Last edited by W.E.G.; 03-28-2018 at 03:15 PM.