Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Connor

Drives: Can't drive just yet...
Manual or Automatic?

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Nice to meet you all

I'm only 14, but have basically been promised a new camaro when I turn 16. Lucky me. My question is, manual or automatic for my first car? I saw one comment about someone's worst car description, and it included an automatic transmission. I'm just wondering the pros of a manual transmission, and if it's worth learning to drive a car with one. Thanks =)
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'd say definetly learn to drive a manual. Even though I'm most likely getting an automatic for my Camaro, it is a good thing to know and gives you a way better knowledge of how to drive a car (reasons for me getting an automatic is that I myself isn't the best manual transmission driver in the world and I'll probably be wanting to go on like cruising nights with my Camaro and that's a bitch with manual, also it will most likely be my working car so I'll probably hvae to be able to drive it easily in town whilst on the phone). Plus imagine this: you get the oppurtunity to drive an insanely cool car, but you can't since it's a manual and you only know how to drive automatic.

Last edited by Emher; 11-14-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Learn to drive an automatic and you can only drive automatics..

Learn to drive a manual and you can drive anything on the road..

Personally I say go with the manual.. but I cringe at someone learning on a brand new car.. don't do it.. just go buy a junker and learn on that first.. that way you don't trash a nice car. (btw i read of one lady that bought a corvette for her husband and he had to learn how to drive the manual in it.. stories of continuous 4k+ rpm clutch drops and such.. not pretty)
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
^The man speaks truth. I've learnt to drive on the car I drive now, and my sister has started learning as well. The clutch has taken a serious beating, but is still working. My dad has actually said that he's surprised me and my sis haven't killed the cluthc and the gearbox yet Gives credit to superb GM build quailty is all I can say.

And actually the whole trash a nice car thing is another reason for me most probably getting the automatic. I **** up way too much still and I do not want to trash the gearbox on my new nice Camaro.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!

Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Firstly, it must be nice to be a spoiled little shit and have a brand new Camaro handed to him. My first car was bought after a summer cutting grass, and all I could afford was an '84 Dodge 600 with countless miles and oil in the airbox.

I'm just playing dude.

I will add though, take the advise from the other guys who already posted. DO NOT turn your brand new Camaro into a test bed for an underaged driver just learning how to drive a stick. Buy a beater and learn that way. Ya **** up the clutch, so what. The car will probably be worth less than a new clutch anyway.

As for my personal opinion,... MANUAL all the way. I've driven both auto and manual. Nothing can top the feeling of coming into a tight turn, downshifting, then dumping the clutch and slamming the gas just at the apex causing the ass end to whip around the bend just before you catch the next gear and haul ass down the straightaway.

1981 Camaro Z28- modded quite nicely !!
2005 Dodge Durango SLT HEMI- my workhorse
2002 Dodge Intrepid SE (wife's new ride)
1997 Polaris Ultra SPX SE- Winter play toy
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think it really comes down to actually driving one, and figuring out if you like it or not.
I know a couple sports car addicts, who hate stick. Don't ask me why, but they swear by the auto.
And then others who say that autos are useless hunks of crap.

Personally, I have know idea what I want...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Well you should learn how to drive a stick no matter what. It will come of use in time. However for it being your first car I would just get a automatic. Reason being is because if your only a teenager while driving it and you need a new clutch.. thats expensive, but I don't know your financial background and if your parents will pay for it lol. Also, I use to have a C4 Vette that was a standard. Believe me, it got to be a pain in stop and go traffic instead of just chilling lol. Don't take this as a biast opinion because its really not, I love standards as far as when I'm riding the car hard. In the end its really just your choice, pick well, and learn how to drive a standard no matter what ;o.

btw I'm 17, turning 18 in twelve days, so I know where your coming from lol.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
My first car was bought for $5,000 and my parents put $1,000 down for me, and I was darn grateful like you wouldn't believe for it. Regardless of how rich I ever become, my kids will still pay for their cars themselves. I learned so much about money and responsibility by paying for my car. It actually was cheap education when you think about it.

On to the topic at hand, as I said in other related threads, it depends on a lot. What will your driving habits be? If you have to drive often in stop and go traffic, a manual might be more hassle than its worth. Also, it depends on how good the manual and automatics are. Good automatics are better than bad manuals, and vice versa. Luckily current GM manual and automatic transmissions are decent at worst and darn good at best, so you can't really go wrong either way I think. GM has historically had among the best auto trannies, but their manuals used to be sub-par. From what I hear recently they really improved. Also, I agree with the general advice of regardless of which one you choose, learn to drive manual on some beater car. You never know when the last good rental on the lot will be a manual transmission.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Connor

Drives: Can't drive just yet...
Thanks for all the comments. As far as buying my own car, I could, but it will be mainly used for school, and since it's a 20 minute drive on an interstate away from where I live, my parents don't really want me buying a piece of shit car. I for sure plan on learning to drive a stick, but I'll probably get an automatic. Don't want to **** it up trying to learn how.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
it depends on how heavy of a population your in... for me i live in a rural area and would NOT own a muscle car with an automatic transmission. i hate them with a passion.

if you live with a TON of stop and go.. it's hard not to go auto. but for me they down shift when i don't want. they up shift before i want.. MY first car was a 5 speed manual and i would never own an auto if i had a good choice in the matter.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:12 AM   #11
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
I think everyone here is saying the same thing.

It depends on you.

I, for example, like the direct relationship I have with my engine with a manual transmission. I determine how much power gets to my wheels, I determine when I shift, where my powerband is, and where I sit in it. I determine when I gear down, and thus I brake less and (potentially) save money.

However... all that stuff that I listed that I like about driving with a manual transmission some people HATE! They HATE having to worry about feathering the clutch, or remembering to shift, or having to downshift.

The truth is that you won't really know which option you want until you've learned to drive... and then learned stick. I strongly suggest you learn on an automatic (less things to think about) and then learn to drive stick, at least a little, before buying a brand new car with a manual... that's the only way to ensure you make the right choice for you.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
My first car was bought for $5,000 and my parents put $1,000 down for me, and I was darn grateful like you wouldn't believe for it. Regardless of how rich I ever become, my kids will still pay for their cars themselves. I learned so much about money and responsibility by paying for my car. It actually was cheap education when you think about it.

I hear this argument so often, and it drives me nuts every time.

My parents bought me my first car in 1991. It was a 1982 Camaro Berlinetta V8 with about 65,000 miles on it. It cost $2568. My father had promised to buy my first car for years. In the end each of my parents put $1000 toward it (ok, my mom put $1100) so I ended up jut paying the difference of $468. I didn't even KNOW they'd bought the car. I just came home from school one day, got off the bus and there it was in the driveway. (Having a father and stepfather who insisted on a sports car was nice. lol All they looked at were Camaro's and Firebirds. I would have settled for anything at that time.)

The only stipulation was that I had to get a job and pay for my own insurance. LOL Thinking back I can just imagine how much money they would have saved me if they'd added me onto their policy instead of making me get my own. 17 years old with a V8 Camaro, yeah my insurance was insane.

Now, 16 years later I'm a very responsible adult when it comes to money. And have been all along. Own a house, have good credit, no bills are behind.

So, really, you won't ruin your kids for life if you purchase their first car for them.

Anyone that spends the money on a BRAND NEW car for their child is just insane though.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Sero

Drives: 99 Mitsibishi Eclipse RS
My first car was a 1979 Toyota Corolla with 250k Plus miles on it. It cost $300 dollars. I had learned to drive a stick when i was about 8 years old in my fathers truck. However, i bought my wife a brand new Tracker after Geo was dissolved, and it took on the name of Chevy Tracker, and taught her how to drive a stick in that. That little transmission sure could take a beating, now the wife likes driving stick more than auto.

For your "training" car, definitely fund some old beater and teach yourself on that, or better yet, find a friend with a beater and ask him to teach you.

Respect: Give it, Earn it, Demand it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
REPEAT AFTER ME:

"......they are NOT the real headlights.........."

Sero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sero View Post
For your "training" car, definitely fund some old beater and teach yourself on that, or better yet, find a friend with a beater and ask him to teach you.
That's what I'm doing. It's about damned time I learned how to drive the stick.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote