Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #113
HarriSSon

Drives: 2013 2SS L99 Camaro
Cops don't make the laws. However, they are under oath to enforce them. Not trying to be rude, but they're just doing their job. Say one cop overlooks tinted tail light because he disagrees with the law, so would it be right for another cop to decide he doesn't agree with drug laws and not enforce those?

HarriSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #114
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Painted?!? That's why you got the ticket man. Painting your tail lights is potentially disastrous. Tinting still let's plenty of light through, but good lord man. Remove the paint.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #115
JustRaf
YOU.ONLY.LIVE.ONCE

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS 2013
learned my lesson in a hardway. now back to legal.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 AM   #116
Valpo1

Drives: 2014 CRT 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
The Ticket was given because he had blacked taillights and it must be stopped ,top priority. Not much else to do for law enforcement in California , No crime or anything , ,
Yes, it must be stopped. There is most likely not a state in the country that does not assign LEO to road safety including moving violations or vehicle safety hazards. The notion of invalidating an entire state because someone was fined for vehicle safety violation on a vehicle is just a little nutty.
Future winter car...pending
Valpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #117
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2LT/RS
I think that blacked out tails can look okay but that should really be for shows, etc. The reason being that people tend to go too dark with it. I was behind someone with lightly tinted tails. They looked good and I was able to see the braking and signaling just fine. Then there was the Honda that had the super dark tint done and I could barely make out that they were braking. If I had not kept a really good following distance I probably would have nailed them.

Comes down to it though, the law is the law. You can always try to petition, etc to get it changed. May take years and years and a bit of compromise but it can probably be done.
Valkyrja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #118
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I used Headlight Armor to tint my tail lights. But here's the thing - they offer different grades of tint. 50%, 30% and 20%. I went with 30% because it looked better, still shows some red reflection and - yes - it protects the tail lights, which was important to me as well. I chose NOT to go to totally black because I don't want a reason to be ticketed. I would never spray them jet black. That's a terrible idea IMO, especially when tint that protects the lights and can be removed in a matter of seconds is so, so cheap.

But here is my main issue - brake lights are either ON or OFF. There is no in between. The tinting does not show at ALL when the brake lights are activated. Having an element of reflection while the lights are OFF - how exactly does that make things safer? If anything, having too much reflection could cause someone to think you're braking when you aren't, and that's a bigger safety issue.

If your tinting interferes with the look of the lights while the brake is depressed, you have major problems. In my case, there is zero function interference from the tinting material.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #119
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfg49 View Post
Amen.

Back in the day when I used to drive out to Kommiefornia for car shows with my XB, on multiple occasions CHP would see me coming from the other direction (usually no front license plate and tint) flip a uturn and follow me until they saw my AZ plates then peel off.

Tickets, IMHO, in Kommiefornia is just a way to subsidize a failing government that can't budget it's money.
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #120
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I used Headlight Armor to tint my tail lights. But here's the thing - they offer different grades of tint. 50%, 30% and 20%. I went with 30% because it looked better, still shows some red reflection and - yes - it protects the tail lights, which was important to me as well. I chose NOT to go to totally black because I don't want a reason to be ticketed. I would never spray them jet black. That's a terrible idea IMO, especially when tint that protects the lights and can be removed in a matter of seconds is so, so cheap.

But here is my main issue - brake lights are either ON or OFF. There is no in between. The tinting does not show at ALL when the brake lights are activated. Having an element of reflection while the lights are OFF - how exactly does that make things safer? If anything, having too much reflection could cause someone to think you're braking when you aren't, and that's a bigger safety issue.

If your tinting interferes with the look of the lights while the brake is depressed, you have major problems. In my case, there is zero function interference from the tinting material.
What about the running lights, which aren't nearly as bright as the brake lamp filaments.

It'd suck if you were parked on a dark street with the parking lights on - and your car's left rear corner still got clipped because it wasn't visible enough.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #121
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Hell, an expired inspection sticker cost me $52.50 back in 1983. Most local Texas cities were $20 to $35 for the ticket. The jerkoff town I got it in, generated revenue through traffic tickets.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #122
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
So when you are parked at night on the right side of the street a car coming from behind you can see you?
^^^^^^^This
Bicycles ridden at night MUST have reflectors on them or face a fine, there's no reason a VEHICLE is exempt.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #123
Daltronic

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
if they cant see a car on side of the road they need there eyes checked and new headlights pretty hard to miss even a black car on side of road if actually paying attention to the road ... just saying street lights exist and so do headlights .. especially in a city so much light pollution it's never actually pitch black out
Daltronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #124
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
the more I read about California the more I feel for the people who live there...I have never been, but I just can't imagine living in a place that's so contradicting...lets legalize weed, but you cant put long tubes or blacked out tail lights on your car...I know weed brings the money in, but seriously think about it..California is ridiculous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est.July.4.1776 View Post
Yep, I won't even vacation there. Too many laws, too little freedom.
I too, refuse to visit a state that does not recognize the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Let the Commies regulate themselves into oblivion. I'll soon be moving back to Florida anyway. FLORIDA will let me bring my toys...MGs and suppressors are legal there as they are in Texas.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #125
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
nevermind haha.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #126
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltronic View Post
if they cant see a car on side of the road they need there eyes checked and new headlights pretty hard to miss even a black car on side of road if actually paying attention to the road ... just saying street lights exist and so do headlights .. especially in a city so much light pollution it's never actually pitch black out
You can't just look at best case scenarios to justify making your car harder to spot. It's under the adverse conditions where problems are more likely to arise, and taillights tinted such that their reflector function is disabled represents at least contributory negligence on your part, possibly worse.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote