Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
KBRacing96

Drives: 01 GMC 4x4 ecsb "Force Feed" ;~)
Best place to spray Meth on a KB

Ok, So I don't have a Camaro, but this seems to be the best place to get info on the KB blowers, so I though I'd ask here. I have a 01 GMC truck with a forged 346 LS1 I'm putting a KB 2.8h on. I plan on running 15-18psi of boost. I was wanting to know if it would be better to spray meth pre-throttle body, or post blower? The truck kit has a nice 3/4 inch spacer on the blower outlet that would let me put the meth nozzle spraying right into the discharge of the blower but before it goes though the intercooler. My thinking is that's gonna be the hottest air, so it would do the most good there. Anyone have an opinion on this???
KBRacing96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
If you can avoid spraying meth on the rotors surface, it would be best. If you have to, you should call KB and ask them if Meth would damage the material that covers the rotors. This is a big issue with PD S/C.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Will@Apf

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBRacing96 View Post
Ok, So I don't have a Camaro, but this seems to be the best place to get info on the KB blowers, so I though I'd ask here. I have a 01 GMC truck with a forged 346 LS1 I'm putting a KB 2.8h on. I plan on running 15-18psi of boost. I was wanting to know if it would be better to spray meth pre-throttle body, or post blower? The truck kit has a nice 3/4 inch spacer on the blower outlet that would let me put the meth nozzle spraying right into the discharge of the blower but before it goes though the intercooler. My thinking is that's gonna be the hottest air, so it would do the most good there. Anyone have an opinion on this???
look into a dual nozzle setup, one pre, and one post...I've never installed a setup like this, but I did get see a dual setup in action on our dyno the other night... 30 to 40* cooler with the system on! not sure of his setting or mixture but it was working well..:thumbup
Will@Apf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
KBRacing96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
If you can avoid spraying meth on the rotors surface, it would be best. If you have to, you should call KB and ask them if Meth would damage the material that covers the rotors. This is a big issue with PD S/C.
I don't think it's a problem, lots of guys do it. The previous owner of this kit had it on a hummer for 10k miles, spraying meth pre-TB and the rotors look perfect on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@Apf View Post
look into a dual nozzle setup, one pre, and one post...I've never installed a setup like this, but I did get see a dual setup in action on our dyno the other night... 30 to 40* cooler with the system on! not sure of his setting or mixture but it was working well..
I was probable going to do that too. I'm thinking a M14 nozzle post-blower and a M5 nozzle pre-TB.

My trucks been though a lot, everything from a 4.8 with a STS turbo kit, to a LS1 with Custom Built compound T76 turbo blowing into a TVS1900 blower, to a BW S480 turbo system I built.

Now I'm gonna play with this big blower on it!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
KBRacing96

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Post-blower would be best. Like the other poster said, spraying methanol pre-blower could take a toll on the rotor coating over time, so I would check with the manufacturer to see what they say. Regardless of what they use, I know they will not warranty the blower if they determine that methanol was being sprayed into it. Something else to think about.

I had a Snow Perfomance dual-nozzle kit installed on my car when we did the twin turbos, but it's not currently active. Until I can determine for sure that spraying pre-blower (stock Eaton supercharger) will not cause an issue, I will not be using it.

I opted instead for an upgraded dual-fan heat exchanger to help keep the downstream temps at a comfortable level.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Adam@ST

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
I would spray the meth just after the throttlebody. There will not be any isues with the rotors because unlike all the other PD blowers on the market, Kenne Bell doesnt use coatings ,they anodize their rotors. Coatings are used to close up gaps, help seal the imperfections on rotors, and to help the rotors live when they touch at higher rpm levels. Kenne Bell doesnt have this issue. Kenne Bell blowers are superior in quality and design. Spray away with confidence, as the rotors wont fail. Thanks Adam
Adam@ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I opted instead for an upgraded dual-fan heat exchanger to help keep the downstream temps at a comfortable level.
I think this is an excellent idea that does not depend you on meth being available at all time.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I thought I remembered a post by TPE or KB that there is a port for this... Please don't quote me, but I don't remember where it was.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
cfcoates

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM 2SS/RS
I am spraying meth before the throttle-body.

Kenne Bell 2.8 Polished & Black - Coolingmist Methanol Injection
Stillen Front Splitter - Havoc Side Skirts & Rear Diffuser
ICONZ Wheels & Nitto NT-05's - PFADT Springs
cfcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
KBRacing96

Well, I talked to Mike at KB today and he said a M14 nozzle right after the blower and a M5 nozzle before the blower to help cool the rotors would work great for cooling the IAT's. He said there is NO issues spraying Meth though their blowers.