Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
From a tuning stand point (power) and weight (very low): turbo I4 1LE > V6 1LE
but...would i buy a car with the T4 knowing that the minute i tuned it my warranty ist kaput?having driven one i can say it is an amazing engine considering the lack of cylinders and displacement,very peppy.now if i were to find a good deal on a used one,low miles,,warranty already gone i would consider it,but i would go in with the knowledge that an engine rebuild,bigger turbo,and a tune might be in the near future.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #30
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
but...would i buy a car with the T4 knowing that the minute i tuned it my warranty ist kaput?having driven one i can say it is an amazing engine considering the lack of cylinders and displacement,very peppy.now if i were to find a good deal on a used one,low miles,,warranty already gone i would consider it,but i would go in with the knowledge that an engine rebuild,bigger turbo,and a tune might be in the near future.
True. Depends what you want to do with the car and what you want to spend. You’re right if you just want a car to run and not have to invest more into it past purchase.

Someone may get the car with later intentions to tune it once the warranty is out/close to being out.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:35 PM   #31
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You completely missed my point to try to suit your own. Apples to apples is comparing 30 year old 4 bangers to modern 4 bangers. Not 30 year old V8s to mondern 4 bangers. Man are we ever in trouble with how people think these days. Im out of this conversation,
Enjoy your blenders you win.
On a side note I do like the looks of the car better than the 2019 SS.
Comparing 30 year old V8s to modern turbo 4s is completely valid in the sense that the kind of performance that took a V8 30 or even 20 years ago can now be had with half the cylinders and a third the displacement, plus better fuel economy as a bonus. In the strictest sense comparing 4 cylinders to 4 cylinders is the best apples to apples comparison, but it's also useless - that four cylinder engines improved over decades is an obvious given (it's even more impressive in that case), but by how much is much more useful, and the benchmark in America for this sort of thing is generally the V8.

I don't think anyone with an SS would object to a comparison stating the fact that their Gen V small blocks have comparable power output and performance to a first gen Dodge Viper's V10, and i remember contemporary reviews of that car wondering if it was possible or sane to ever expect more power and performance out of a car.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #32
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
https://youtu.be/DfxQFRCotkc
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #33
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
You all are winners. Good job kid. I admit defeat.

Never mind.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 PM   #34
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Jeez I hate that stupid grin! Looks better than the SS though.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:51 AM   #35
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
the refresh looks worse to me over time.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:12 AM   #36
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I don't hate it, but also don't love it nor would I consider buying one. Chevy is known for their small block, having driven many V6s and a couple 4s over the last 20 years, I personally would steer clear of these engines based on having had all of them overheat at the very least at one point in their careers. When I want a V6 or a 4 I would go to a company that is known to make great variants of these engines and they are mostly overseas am I right? This may be a not so terrible lease option for many folks though. I'm really not sure how Chevy has improved on their latest iterations of their smaller engines but I'm just guessing they still aren't very refined to begin with either. Chevy = small block or I'm going to another brand. My 2 cents.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #37
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The 87 L98 in the Vette produced 345lb/ft of torque. A lot more than this little turbo 4 banger. It always makes me laugh when people try to justify a modern 4 banger to a 30 year old V8. Why not compare apples to apples? Look what four bangers produced in 87 if you want to make a real comparison.

I really dont see the point in this car at all. To me its not a 1LE eventhough that's what they are calling it. Its 8 sec's slower than the SS 1LE at the track in the video posted.
They should call it the autocross special. Made to compete with Mazdas.
This 4 cycler turbo crap is getting old across the board. I lived this this once before. Not good.
It's not a 1LE. It's SS components slapped on a turbo 4 car. At least the 5th gen 1LE had unique components. Hell, they didn't even bother painting the brake calipers red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Why, because it doesn’t have an e-diff?

It has the added cooling, wider tires, lower/stiffer suspension and track dynamic control tunig that gets done with all “1LE” cars.

Take one step back: What was the 5th Gen SS 1LE? A SS with ZL1 parts. What is the Turbo and V6 1LE? A Turbo or V6 with SS parts.

I get what you’re saying, but GM started down the path with “1LE” = their track variants. That’s what this is.

However, I think they should have added little power bumps (decent ED&D) or even just the e-diff (lesser ED&D) to sweeten the deal in the Turbo and V6.
The 5th gen 1LE shared a few parts with the ZL1, but not all of them. Definitely not the shocks.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #38
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
6.2 lt1 455ft/lb-----73.38 ft/lb per liter
2.0ltg 295ft/lb---147.50 ft/lb per liter

Apples to apples, like ya asked.

Simple fact is, no matter how much we don't want it. No matter how hard we try. Small displacement forced induction hybrid is the future.
20 lbs of boost basically multiplies the displacement by 2.3, so the actually lb*ft/l is effectively 62.8.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:49 AM   #39
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
A turbo Camaro was very fast in last year's autocross nationals. I can imagine the 1LE version of the turbo will post some impressive lap times compared to the low-powered coupe competition, which is the Miata, Fiat 124, Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86... particularly on tracks where it will reach higher speeds on straightaways. Of course, compared to the SS 1LE, the turbo 1LE is much weaker on the big tracks but probably close in autocross. I was happy how my V6 1LE did in CAM-C...

I own a 2018 V6 1LE and if I was making the purchase this next year I'd still get it: not the SS 1LE because it's considerably more expensively to buy and operate, and not the turbo 1LE because the sound and feel of a turbo 4 does not stir me like the wailing V6 (also I think 335 hp is good for track days, but 275 would be a little snooze on long straights). Plus, I'm old school, I prefer the sound and feel of n/a motors. But I'm also older than the target market for the turbo 1LE. I think the Camaro will attract some Miata/124/BRZ/86 kind of buyers when they see lap time comparisons at places like VIR, Streets of Willow and Laguna Seca. However, the 180 hp 2019 Miata may have something for the turbo 1LE.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #40
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It's not a 1LE. It's SS components slapped on a turbo 4 car. At least the 5th gen 1LE had unique components. Hell, they didn't even bother painting the brake calipers red.
You do realize that the 1LE RPO has been around since 1988, it’s a showroom stock race class offering which has generally included upgraded brakes, suspension, and a few less comfort/convenience options, right? All 3rd and 4th gen pursuit cars were 1LEs as well. It’s certainly not “oooh red calipers”

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #41
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
You do realize that the 1LE RPO has been around since 1988, it’s a showroom stock race class offering which has generally included upgraded brakes, suspension, and a few less comfort/convenience options, right? All 3rd and 4th gen pursuit cars were 1LEs as well. It’s certainly not “oooh red calipers”
Exactly , the 1Le option works great on the turbo model as it did with the 1988 Z28 to bring it up to a real level to compete .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #42
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

The 5th gen 1LE shared a few parts with the ZL1, but not all of them. Definitely not the shocks.
It is as much of a 1Le as the ZL1/1Le , there is no standard for the 1Le option except taking the car to its highest level of performance. I guess the SS 1Le is not a 1Le because it rides on Magnetic Ride from the ZL1 and not the DSSV .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote