Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
With no official press release on the C8 - production model is at best 2 years out - making it a 2021 at the earliest, but my guess is a 2022. C7 will be produced until then, but not longer as suggested.
The indications that I am seeing are that the ME Corvette will be debuted in January at the Detroit Auto Show, and will begin production in the fall of 2019 as a 2020 MY.

I have also seen indications that the Bowling Green plant was upgraded to produce both the C7 and C8 versions at the same time, and indications are that they will both be produced for some time. The only thing not known is for how long.

Now ALL of this ^^^, is based off of rumors and spies, as nothing official has been released by Chevy, so take it for what it's worth. Also, even if this is the plan for now, it could change. For example the GT500 has been delayed several times now, so you never know. "It ain't over 'till it's over" as they say.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
I'm not saying GM won't prove me wrong - but given the lead times of previous Corvette generations, test mule sightings, and actual press release to production dates, 2021 is still the very earliest I see the C8 coming. 7 years for the C7 seems to be fitting given the C5 and C6 durations (7 and 9 years).
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Sorry for the long post...

With no official press release on the C8 - production model is at best 2 years out - making it a 2021 at the earliest, but my guess is a 2022. C7 will be produced until then, but not longer as suggested.

Wrong. 2020 will be the inaugural model year of the C8. They’ve already tested C8 production back to back with the C7 on the assembly line, and over 3 dozen IVERs(the cars you see driving around) have been built. IIRC, they usually build 60-75 IVERs, many of which are used in final durability and production testing. The fact that the black vinyl covers have already been removed is a dead giveaway that the car is almost done.

Also, even if this is the plan for now, it could change. For example the GT500 has been delayed several times now, so you never know. "It ain't over 'till it's over" as they say. There was a reported issue with the chassis or frame back in the beginning of August, but nothing specific was mentioned by the leaker. That’s just one example of things that have gone wrong or will go wrong with the pre-production processes, and a production delay of 1-3 months is not completely unrealistic. However, GM usually adheres to its own production schedules well.

There won’t be simultaneous production of the C8 and C7. The C7 is done, maybe they have a lot of C7 parts available to continue to produce them for 2019 but after that, it’s over. The C8 that has been seen testing is not a Zora or ZR halo car, its a base model with base corvette aero and base corvette tires.

See my words above. I agree that the car we are seeing is a base model. However, there is not a chance that the C8 will NOT be produced by next September as a 2020 model year car. I have definitive information that I cannot share, but let’s just say that GM and Monterey Car Week will have a great relationship going forward.

While GM is actively working on the next gen Camaro, there will absolutely be one last Gen 6 Camaro with (most likely) an LT5. Especially due to the release of the Gt500. And even more so due to the C8 not having a manual transmission. The Camaro is going to be the Chevy FE king with a MT as the C8 is DCT.

The ZR1 will be the front-engine king for the next 5 years or so.

I still highly doubt any 6th gen gets the new DOHC V8 as the engine bay was designed around the LT platform.

The DOHC engines are the beginning of the 6th generation of GM V8’s. A CAD leak says that one of the TT DOHC V8’s is the LT7, so these engines could be LT engines. The base mid-engine Corvette is getting an LT1 or LT1 derivative, and it seems to be the same size as those DOHC engines(Turbo systems excluded). I know for a fact that they were testing new powertrains for the Camaro and Corvette back in July, so stay tuned.

As for the idea of a 9000rpm Flat plane crank 5.5L V8 or a Turbo version of that, those are purely rumors. The 5.2L FPC Ford engine only revs to 8250rpm and over 60 owners out of nearly 1000 have had their engine grenade. High displacement and flat plane crankshafts do not mix. Regardless, I am under the impression that the DOHC V8’s will be 4.6L and 5.4L. It’s very likely that when the 7th gen Camaro SS comes out with a N/A DOHC V8, that same V8 will replace the pushrod engine in the base C8. Before that or at the same time, the twin-turbo 4.6L DOHC V8 will hit the market in a Corvette, and I expect that engine to reach the Camaro a year later.

Here’s some context to the attached image: ZERV is the known name of the mid-engine Corvette project. Seeing that Zora Arkus-Duntov lead the CERV(Chevy Engineering Research Vehicle) projects in pursuit of improving many aspects of GM vehicles, ZERV probably stands for Zora Engineering Research Vehicle. Most Chevy enthusiasts on the Internet know that there were a plethora of leaked images of CADs of Project ZERV, and ZERV on CorvetteForum is the one who leaked every CAD you see of the C8. ZERV joined the forum, posted CADs on a weekly basis, then disappeared after the post in the attached image. However, he seems to log in to that forum on a weekly basis. I have attached this image because ZERV’s word is 100% credible in my eyes, and his words contradict those of all of the rumors going around. None of the rumors about future GM powertrains, besides the idea that an updated LT1 is coming to the market, even make sense.

The future of the Z/28 has been and will be influenced by the Corvette’s shift to a mid-engine configuration, and the Camaro will remain the younger sibling to the Corvette for years to come.
Attached Images

Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #18
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Excellent point. Rumors are there will be an N/A version of the 5.5L engine that will put out 600+ HP, and be FPC with a 9,000RPM redline. The smaller 5.5L engine may be able to fit without the turbos, and an N/A engine is preferred in a track car. Seems to be possible, but we don't really know the dimentions of the new engine family so...

But, I still think the timing is wrong for any of the new 5.5's will make it to a 6th Gen Z/28.

So, my personal guess is that IF there will be a Gen 6 Z/28 it will be an LT5, or a detuned LT5 that goes into it.

I wonder which of these two options potential Z/28 buyers would prefer - a 750ish HP S/C LT5, or a 600+ HP N/A 9,000RPM screamer?

It depends on the content of the car. It's pretty clear that by sales, people prefer content and goodies more than performance. That's why the ZL1 1LE exists. You can get great performance, but more importantly, it comes with all the goodies. If they cut out the content, it wouldn't sell.

As long as you can load it up with every option, both engines would sell.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #19
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I'm not saying GM won't prove me wrong - but given the lead times of previous Corvette generations, test mule sightings, and actual press release to production dates, 2021 is still the very earliest I see the C8 coming. 7 years for the C7 seems to be fitting given the C5 and C6 durations (7 and 9 years).
I think this mule is the base C8 because it sounds like an N/A CPC V8, which is what they have been predicting will be the initial release of the C8 - a reworked LT1 for 500 or so HP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=hyjcZbsU17w
Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #20
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Interesting discussion. Subscribed.

As to the OPs original question, IMO it would be close, but an LT5 won't fit under a ZL1 hood without modification.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #21
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
I'm ok with being proven wrong on the 2021 prediction for the C8 as a couple are suggesting it will be a 2020.

That said, having followed GM's press release (auto show) to actual delivery and production model year for the last 30 years on various models - I will stand by my 2021 guesstimate until proven otherwise.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post

As for the idea of a 9000rpm Flat plane crank 5.5L V8 or a Turbo version of that, those are purely rumors. The 5.2L FPC Ford engine only revs to 8250rpm and over 60 owners out of nearly 1000 have had their engine grenade. High displacement and flat plane crankshafts do not mix. Regardless, I am under the impression that the DOHC V8’s will be 4.6L and 5.4L. It’s very likely that when the 7th gen Camaro SS comes out with a N/A DOHC V8, that same V8 will replace the pushrod engine in the base C8. Before that or at the same time, the twin-turbo 4.6L DOHC V8 will hit the market in a Corvette, and I expect that engine to reach the Camaro a year later.

This is the rumor I keep seeing floated around and glad someone else sees it like I do. Look at what Ford had to do to get an engine to spin to 8250 and look at some of the problems they have had. I don't see GM being able to make a bigger FPC engine and spin it even faster with out the same problems. I know most around here believe that all GM engines are assembled by the hand of god but an even larger, faster spinning FPC V-8 sounds like a ticking time bomb.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #23
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This is the rumor I keep seeing floated around and glad someone else sees it like I do. Look at what Ford had to do to get an engine to spin to 8250 and look at some of the problems they have had. I don't see GM being able to make a bigger FPC engine and spin it even faster with out the same problems. I know most around here believe that all GM engines are assembled by the hand of god but an even larger, faster spinning FPC V-8 sounds like a ticking time bomb.
I also agree that this would be a huge challenge, and don't think this part of the rumors are true. But from what I have been following, those are the rumors on the mid-engine corvette forum.

One of the things that makes me think it won't be FPC, is that they are saying there will be an N/A version of the larger of the two motors. BUT, I am thinkinig, why would they need so many variants. There seems to be a larger and smaller version of the DOHC motor, and if the revised LT1 engine is true, that would be an LT1, a small DOHC (probably TT), a big DOHC, a big DOHC TT, and a big DOHC TT with electric assist. That's seems like too many motors.

Perhaps it's just two DOHC CPC TT's, one big, one small.

And of all the rumors, I am least excited about a 9,000RPM screamer. That will lack the low-end that I like. But that's just my personal preference. If Chevy does make a 5.5 (ish)L FPC 9,000 RPM screamer, I will say kudos, but I wouldn't buy one. I wouldn't have much fun with that on the street. Track yes, but on the street it would be frustrating... Not to mention, I would definately like to see that (if it comes) engine out for a couple of years to see if there are any issues before I jumped in.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #24
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I also agree that this would be a huge challenge, and don't think this part of the rumors are true. But from what I have been following, those are the rumors on the mid-engine corvette forum.

One of the things that makes me think it won't be FPC, is that they are saying there will be an N/A version of the larger of the two motors. BUT, I am thinkinig, why would they need so many variants. There seems to be a larger and smaller version of the DOHC motor, and if the revised LT1 engine is true, that would be an LT1, a small DOHC (probably TT), a big DOHC, a big DOHC TT, and a big DOHC TT with electric assist. That's seems like too many motors.

Perhaps it's just two DOHC CPC TT's, one big, one small.

And of all the rumors, I am least excited about a 9,000RPM screamer. That will lack the low-end that I like. But that's just my personal preference. If Chevy does make a 5.5 (ish)L FPC 9,000 RPM screamer, I will say kudos, but I wouldn't buy one. I wouldn't have much fun with that on the street. Track yes, but on the street it would be frustrating... Not to mention, I would definately like to see that (if it comes) engine out for a couple of years to see if there are any issues before I jumped in.
ZERV is the only source that has mentioned anything specific about engines to any Corvette forum, but a co-founder of the mid-engine corvette forum was told that the base model will have an updated LT1. The forum members on multiple forums have come to agree that FPC V8’s will not make it into the C8. However, an N/A DOHC V8 will replace the base engine, not be an additional engine to the lineup. Ed Welburn is the only credible source to mention a high-performance hybrid variant, and that was off-record in an interview with a couple of Chevy-owning youtubers(GuitarmageddonZL1 and StreetSpeed717).
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
ZERV is the only source that has mentioned anything specific about engines to any Corvette forum, but a co-founder of the mid-engine corvette forum was told that the base model will have an updated LT1. The forum members on multiple forums have come to agree that FPC V8’s will not make it into the C8. However, an N/A DOHC V8 will replace the base engine, not be an additional engine to the lineup. Ed Welburn is the only credible source to mention a high-performance hybrid variant, and that was off-record in an interview with a couple of Chevy-owning youtubers(GuitarmageddonZL1 and StreetSpeed717).
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was reading on the forum that referenced a magazine article (there have been several). Not sure the source for the mazine articles, but here are two of them for fun (and reference):

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...ars-chevrolet/

"That “base” LT1 is expected to make around 500 horsepower, with the optional 5.5-liter DOHC V-8 punching up to 600-plus horsepower with an 8,000-plus-rpm redline. At the top of the range will be a twin-turbo version of the 5.5-liter making some 800 horses, as well as an E-Ray performance hybrid that will add electric motors powering the front wheels for a grand total of about 1,000 Secretariats. If you crave three-pedal, full-manual control, better get the C7 now, as the Y2 will be available only with an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic developed in cooperation with Tremec."

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...is-nearly-here

"But there’s some consolation: That engine bay will also eventually host even more compelling mills. The first to follow the LT1 will be a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter DOHC V-8 with a flat-plane crankshaft capable of a Ferrari 458–like maximum engine speed of 9000 rpm. Sympathy for the transaxle, though, means the engine speed will be limited to several hundred rpm below that. That engine should be good for at least 600 horsepower."

Anyway, I don't really belive it will be FPC. But the rumors are out there. Can't wait to find out!!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #26
Bhobbs

Magazine articles also swore the C7 would come with a 5.5l V8. They swore the LT5 was going to be DOHC.

Magazines are often wrong, so I would take their information with a brick of salt.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:49 AM   #27
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Ford rushed the Voodoo into production to counter the C5 Z28. At first it looked (and sounded) revolutionary.

Voodoo has proved to be somewhat of a disaster. Flat plane crank and higher displacement V8s don't appear to get along. For that matter, a top heavy, flat plane, 32 valve DOHC that shakes like a first round draft pick facing Kershaw in his first MLB AB makes no sense at all.

Chevrolet has been working on a production DOHC NA V8 for years, I don't believe that they will make the same mistake. A high revving, higher displacement (4.5+ ltr.) flat plane V8 has never been produced at a reasonably affordable level with any semblance of reliability. GM will build one (likely cross plane), but not until it is ready and it is reasonably dependable. C8 (ME) appears to be the perfect platform.

With that said, there are a lot of positive aspects of the low center of gravity big torque, FI pushrod V8. Personally, I would gladly sacrifice high revs for some slam you back in your seat low end TQ with proven reliability. Sadly, the PR V8 is very close to disappearing from the annals of performance automobiles... for what it is worth, so is the manual transmission. IMHO, a sad day for most.

I digress; old school I guess. Haters gonna hate.

An 8500-9000 rpm V8 with an OEM warranty, that meets 2020 emission specs??? Dream on.

No disrespect implied. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #28
Bhobbs

I don’t think the pushrod V8 is going anywhere. Dodge is constantly working on new V8s. They are rumored to be working on a new 426 Hemi. Even Ford is rumored to be working on a new pushrod V8. They are building a new 7.3 gas V8 for the trucks.

If GM abandons the pushrod small block, it’s not because they can’t make them anymore. Dodge certainly has no problem making big power out of theirs. What’s even more frustrating is GM has mastered the small block and has a substantially larger budget to work with. If Dodge can make a new pushrod 7.0 liter and Ford can come back to a 7.3 pushrod V8, GM of all companies should have no issue doing the same.