Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
DeLegend

Drives: The Batmobile (The old one)
Depreciation values?

Now I know that the car hasn't even come out yet, but I was curious to get some input from you guys and what you think the depreciation value of the car is gonna be. Reason I say that is because I hope it doesnt turn out like the 4th gen camaros where you can get a 2002 Z28 with 20,000 miles for only 13 or 14k.... Kinda gets you nervous if you wanna get one new huh?
DeLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
I'm pretty much expecting the same as previous sports cars. I had a '99 Firebird that I bought for about $20,000 (brand new with only 5 miles on it). It's gone now due to a bad wreck, but I would have been lucky to get $5,000 for it. Now, of course it was a base coupe with a few options on it. Of course, the same didn't seem to apply to higher end models fully loaded. The same '99 Firebird in the Trans-Am / Formula model could bring in $15,000 - $20,000 today. That's why with this new Camaro, I'm going all out (2SS with a few more option piled on top of it). If I ever had to get rid of it, I want to be able to recover at least a larger portion of the original value. I know it won't come anywhere near it, but it's a lot better than $5,000 five years from now.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I'm pretty much expecting the same as previous sports cars. I had a '99 Firebird that I bought for about $20,000 (brand new with only 5 miles on it). It's gone now due to a bad wreck, but I would have been lucky to get $5,000 for it. Now, of course it was a base coupe with a few options on it. Of course, the same didn't seem to apply to higher end models fully loaded. The same '99 Firebird in the Trans-Am / Formula model could bring in $15,000 - $20,000 today. That's why with this new Camaro, I'm going all out (2SS with a few more option piled on top of it). If I ever had to get rid of it, I want to be able to recover at least a larger portion of the original value. I know it won't come anywhere near it, but it's a lot better than $5,000 five years from now.
Playing it safe is probably a really good idea. The depreciation on the Ford Exploder was crazy so I tried extra hard to pay it off quickly.

When I was done with that I banked the payments for a down payment on this car. I plan on putting down a good chunk to try and stay ahead of the depreciation.
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Same here. I started saving the day I left seeing Transformers a year and a half ago. If anyone knows me, that's an impossible thing in itself. I will have about $15,000 to put down. Can't wait.

Sean W
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
just to let you know a car that is 7 years old and is still worth 13000 is pretty good their not too many 7 year old cars out their that hold their value that well. check out ebay
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Performance cars go down in value these days....its just a fact. They don't hold a value because they continue to get better and better! Be glad that happens...if you want value, go buy a mint Buick GN or GNX. You'll see cheaper Z06's soon enough even! If you want to play, you got to pay....enjoy the game.
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLegend View Post
Now I know that the car hasn't even come out yet, but I was curious to get some input from you guys and what you think the depreciation value of the car is gonna be. Reason I say that is because I hope it doesnt turn out like the 4th gen camaros where you can get a 2002 Z28 with 20,000 miles for only 13 or 14k.... Kinda gets you nervous if you wanna get one new huh?
Uhh... name another 2002 Car you could buy new for $26k and still get $14k for now 6 years later. Thats pretty damn good resale if you ask me.

Depreciation is directly tied to how many are out on the market, the overall desirability of the car, not as much the rarity (just because its rare doesn't mean people want it). Predicting it for a car that isn't even out yet is next to impossible.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Performance cars go down in value these days....its just a fact. They don't hold a value because they continue to get better and better!
Exactly...anyone that wants to sell a 4th gen better do it quick because once the 5th gen comes out it will trump the 4th gen in every way.

As far as cars with good resale value, the SS should be pretty good. Not too sure about LS/LT, could become watered down.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #9
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I plan to pay CASH! You know what they say,"CASH is KING" In these troubled times, this is the only way to go!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I plan to pay CASH! You know what they say,"CASH is KING" In these troubled times, this is the only way to go!
I agree! Mine will be paid for before I drive it off the lot!
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Every new car depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot. Some more than others. How the new Camaro will fare depends on how many are built and how popular they are and if GM is able to stay in business or not. If they produce 10,000 Camaros then file Chapter 7 and go out of business, the new Camaros will only appreciate in value.
And it doesn't matter if you pay cash or not, new cars still depreciate the same.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
I'd say the current Mustang is a good comparision for how values will go. Used values stayed strong for a couple of years for the '05 until demand was met,now a current Mustang is as worthless as any other new car once it's driven off the lot. The used Camaro should have a strong value for at least 2 years,then they'll be giving them away,especially the V6. Good for us that buy used,bad for the new buyer,unless you plan on keeping it.............JUST DON'T PAY OVER STICKER!
I've seen C5 Z06's in the '20s and a 15K mile '07 GT500 for 33K,not to mention all of the Porsche Boxsters you can get for under 20K,so don't expect the Camaro to buck the trend,it will fall in value,and fall hard,same as everything else.
I remember when the 4th gen Z28 came and how hot that car was and how special it was to see one...........and now,you see them for 3K and in junky condition,it amazes me to see them in such shape. Granted there are some mint ones,but just to see my dream car as a junker is weird,same for '90s Mustang GT's,same for C4 Vettes.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
weedwacker13

Drives: 1990 isuzu trooper
I have the constant debate with myself, weather to buy new, or used. New, I can get employee discount (uncle), or I could wait for one new, but what will the difference be, after how much time. I want a 2SS with no other options. Either way I go, Ill have to wait, because I dont have enough money yet.
weedwacker13 is offline   Reply With Quote