Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
spaRTan

Drives: SLK55AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
+1, Spartan your english is better than mine. But most of my posting is on the job, and I don't have time to double check all of my posts. I type fast and get back to work.
with 2200 posts you must have a hell of a job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
there has to be some way to get it past the govt
I was driving a few days ago and saw a Corvette and Mustang. I have also seen a 4th gen.
<-- American living in Germany right now
well, it's not a problem at all for people from the army or their family members. they're even allowed to drive in Germany or sell their cars with the original "red" turning lights (do you still use the brake lights for indication?).
on the other hand as a German the rules and regulations are pretty tough. you can't mount ANYTHING on your car without a special authorization. no aftermarket wheels, spoilers or engine tuning. everything has to be bullet proof. otherwise you lose your insurance. I've heard that the rules in the states have been stiffened as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
My uncle in Germany claims he saw a blue 5th gen a few days ago because he recognized the car from the pics I posted on my blog a while ago. I doubt it though Well the Nuerburgring is only like an hour away so maybe they were test-driving it in the area, but still... what are the chances?! I'm sure he saw a Challenger or something else.
sounds pretty possible to me. it's some kind of trend that everybody wants to test-drive their cars on the nordschleife. it's this special "nordschleife-tested" badge that everybody wants to put on their car.
at the moment the Germans are mad about the Corvette Z06/ZR1 and the new Nissan GT-R (I loved the Skyline R34...).

something regarding the original topic: it seems that buying a canada version would be the easiest way of getting a "europe ready" Camaro.
my next step will be to check the lights (front lights, brake lights and turning indicators) and the exhaust noise. I'm pretty sure that it won't be a problem at all because the vettes here in Germany aren't modified and the import market is booming (more or less^^).

I'll contact a dealer in the states (there are many recommendations in another thread on this forum) and check what I've got to do to buy a car.
maybe I'll have to take a flight to the US and buy it on my own, maybe I'll buy the service from a special import and export company.

have a nice day, evening, night -
spaRTan
Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaRTan View Post
I've heard that the rules in the states have been stiffened as well.
It depends on which state you live in really. In Florida, the only stuff they enforce at all is modified exhaust (I call it the ricer rule), ridiculously loud stereos, and tail/head lights. I've seen lots of stuff rollin around that really shouldn't even be a car anymore. Some states have inspections for emissions n stuff but there's nothing of the sort to speak of here.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
spaRTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
It depends on which state you live in really. In Florida, the only stuff they enforce at all is modified exhaust (I call it the ricer rule), ridiculously loud stereos, and tail/head lights. I've seen lots of stuff rollin around that really shouldn't even be a car anymore. Some states have inspections for emissions n stuff but there's nothing of the sort to speak of here.
at first I thought "lucky you". my next idea was that we've got some ridiculous regulations here (and a general and exhaust check-up every two years) but we're allowed to drive much faster. thus it isn't that bad to have cars on track, that can do it without breaking down.
now we only need that sort of check for all those stupid drivers sitting in those cars.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #18
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
Quote:
at first I thought "lucky you". my next idea was that we've got some ridiculous regulations here (and a general and exhaust check-up every two years) but we're allowed to drive much faster. thus it isn't that bad to have cars on track, that can do it without breaking down.
now we only need that sort of check for all those stupid drivers sitting in those cars.
From an american point of view the rules are MUCH tougher over here. For example it is illegal to make an uneeded stop on the highway (running out of gas is avoidable therefore illegal). There is no such thing as a junker on the road. Every car is well taken care of. An article I read compared the fear of americans from the IRS is like the fear for the car check. But then again I legally drive 120 mph, and get passed. Everything is much more controlled then in the US.

My concern is for parking. I think parking a 5th gen would be a bit more difficult but then again i do not know what the turning radius is.
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #19
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Just writing to say that the Canadian version of this car has metric of course, but it also if anything would be more likely to pass than an american version. I say this because here in Canada, we have higher crash standards and such. (Which is the reason we didnt get the latest version of the GTO and also the Mitsu Evo's of the past. We have the EvoX now.But those 2 examples and others didnt meet our crash tests involving front bumpers.)
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #20
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I'm laughing...it's a little after 3:00 a.m. and I haven't been to bed yet. As much as I'd love some sort of an autobahn here in the U.S., with all the drunks and drugies we have here, we'd be moving at an impressive 3 mph for at least 20 hours a day due to all the accidents! Okay, time for bed....
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Check out this thread .. looks to be in metric ..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10822
Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
spaRTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Check out this thread .. looks to be in metric ..
yes it is. as stated before it's the Canada version of the Camaro.
now I just need to figure out whether I have to order one in Canada or whether it's possible to get a Canadian version in the states.
I think exporting from Canada shouldn't be harder than from the US.

I'll keep you informed...

spaRTan
Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
from what i've read, there will be an allocation produced for sale in europe. i would only imagine that those would have the metric gauges as well
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #24
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
spaRTan

guess what, we know its you because your name is on the Left side of the screen.

all you need are faces for the dials which are so easy to change you can be sure that gm will have them for the car.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #25
spaRTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
from what i've read, there will be an allocation produced for sale in europe. i would only imagine that those would have the metric gauges as well
it's coming to europe between autumn 2009 and summer 2010.
I can't wait that long!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The cars can be reprogramed from imperial to metric, but that cuts out the last ~1/3 of the speedometer. Swaping out the dial faces would work, but then things like temperature and fuel economy will still be displayed in the wrong units. I'm hoping that everything will be proper for cars destined for us in metric countries.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #27
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Having imported from the States I was wondering too about K/PH vs MPH . I believe you will find the dash gauges will be identical in the USA /Canada. Auto switch over according to my dealer..
German will use the metric from the program already on board.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, gauges, metric