Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #43
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere Racer View Post
Never have seen that claim
it was a claim back in like 2009 right around the camaro debuted. the auto was slightly faster due to the closer ratio and quicker shifts of the avg driver.

Also the Auto CTS-V is faster then the manual around the ring.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #44
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post

Also the Auto CTS-V is faster then the manual around the ring.
Do we really know this for sure? I don't think I've ever seen a posted time for a manual V being driven around the 'Ring.

True enough that Heinricy set the standard with his 7:59 lap time in the auto, but there are a couple of videos out there where Heinricy says that he chose to take the auto to set the fastest time, simply because he had a lot more seat time in the auto on that very long course and was more comfortable with it.

He also mentions that it would have taken him some time to learn how to optimize driving the manual on that course in order to get around it as fast as he possibly could.

I'd be willing to put a few bucks down that with a little time to practice, a driver of Heinricy's calibre would be able to get around the 'Ring a bit quicker in the manual - as long as he doesn't miss a shift like he did demonstrating the V's "no-lift shift" at Monticello!!

Best regards,

Elie
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #45
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb8 View Post
Manuals are becoming an endangered species. It's only a matter of time before GM goes to the dual clutch or single clutch, or whatever else the automated manuals are called nowadays by the different car manufacturers. Even Ferrari and Lamborghini don't offer a manual on their newest supercars, because it doesn't work seamlessly with the rest of the computer controlled components of the car. In other words, the human drivers aren't capable of shifting properly.
So the answer to the question comes from Ferrari and Lamborghini. The auto is faster.
Hey, if GM would put a "clutchless" manual transmission in the ZL1 similar to the Lingenfelter Camaro, I would be all for it!! But why only offer the auto when it appears that so many folks embrace "slower E.T. times" in favor of controlling the shift?? Just saying

Last edited by BiggFoot; 08-08-2011 at 12:12 PM.
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #46
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm torn, too. While I know the stick out be more fun, I know an auto' would be best at the strip. Also, if I go with an auto', I'll be getting a converter, and you'll be hard pressed to find most M6 guys drive by a tuned auto' with a big converter. That might be a little cheating, but since I agree with about all the posts already, I thought I'd add a little something different. Coming from an '02 with an SS3800, that converter TOTALLY changed the car. It would fall on it's face in some circumstances with the stock converter, and with the Yank in there, it never faultered. Because it was relatively loose, it required a fair amount of tuning, but when complete, it was BAD@$$!!!

It's going to be a tough decision...
Isn't it amazing how a loose converter changes a car??

Back in 2000,I had a Corvette coupe & had a Yank 3000 put in.....it literally felt like the car had 50 more HP. It went from being a bit sluggish off the line to running like a raped ape if you stomped it.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #47
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The age-old slip-up..."faster" vs. "quicker"...

Faster = 6-speed manual, BOTH 1/4-mile trap speed and Top Speed

Quicker = 6-speed automatic...90% of the time for 90% of the drivers, give or take...

BOTH will get you in "a heap o' trouble, boy!"
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #48
John Deere Racer

Drives: 2013 zl1 m6
I have had lt1s ls1s and ls3 cars. All manuals

And have raced autos All cars being stock at the time
And have never been beat by a auto
Even have gave the autos the hit or a car length head start

Stock autos without a stall r dogs

Yes , stick cars suck if the driver does also

Y don't the zo6 or zr1 come in autos?
Hhhmmmm

If a stock gm stick car has 500hp and a good driver it will take 530hp in a a auto to out run it

Autos rob hp

592rwhp 616rwtq bolt ons only
www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
Www.lgmotorsports.com
John Deere Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #49
Pentatonic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere Racer View Post
I have had lt1s ls1s and ls3 cars. All manuals

And have raced autos All cars being stock at the time
And have never been beat by a auto
Even have gave the autos the hit or a car length head start

Stock autos without a stall r dogs
Not according to Camaro's chief engineer:

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...6-seconds.html

Quote:
Not surprisingly, the V8-equipped Camaro SS delivers better numbers across the board. Chevy's Camaro SS outfitted with the 422-hp 6.2-liter LS3 V8 six-speed manual hits 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and runs a 13.4-second quarter-mile at 108 mph according to Oppenheiser. Strangely enough, Oppenheiser also claims that the automatic-equipped SS Camaro, which is rated at 400 hp, runs from zero to 60 mph in just 4.6 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13.3 seconds. "We optimized the shift points," he said.
Stock autos without a stall were dogs 10 years ago, but not now. The technology is catching up and now starting to surpass the manuals in terms of speed, quickness, shifting speed, and just about every other performance measure besides mechanical efficiency.

Now even the hardcore "it isn't a sports car unless it has a manual" guys are even admitting that they'll be sacrificing a couple tenths in the quarter mile for the sake of having fun driving the manual car.

And yes, Z06's and ZR1s only come with a manual, but that's because GM hasn't invested the R&D work into all of the automatic transmissions across the board yet. Some new Lamborghinis and Ferraris don't even come with a clutch shifting manual transmission anymore.
Pentatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #50
John Deere Racer

If u can't drive a manual.

The times will suck bad

Anyone can put it n drive and floor it

Www.lgmotorsports.com
Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #51
John Deere Racer

What about the top 10 list on the l99 ls3 list
WhAt r the results?

Screw the gm claims And magazines

Put it on the track and let's c

Www.lgmotorsports.com
Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #52
John Deere Racer

My dad has a l99 I have a ls3
I walk him everytime. Even if he gets me out of the whole
By 3rd gear I go by him like he let of the gas

Www.lgmotorsports.com
Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #53
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentatonic View Post

Some new Lamborghinis and Ferraris don't even come with a clutch shifting manual transmission anymore.
Possibly this new generation in Italy forgot how to drive a stick?
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #54
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The ZL1 has something "special". It's called "Launch Control", folks. And it will work best with an Automatic. As Settlemire has "confirmed".

"Generally", without the assistance of modern electronics, the stick-car has had an advantage, particularly in 60' times, when "properly driven". Less frictional loss with a stick, too, which means more hp at the wheels. And an LS3 has more hp to start with, than an L99.

But...

Electronics gets rid of the "human" factor. "Cleaner" launch. Quicker 60'. An advantage held for the 1st 1320'...and no missed shifts. A win, "automatically".

"Stay tuned"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #55
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
skip shift will kill this argument in a heartbeat...
Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #56
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
The ZL1 has something "special". It's called "Launch Control", folks. And it will work best with an Automatic. As Settlemire has "confirmed".

"Generally", without the assistance of modern electronics, the stick-car has had an advantage, particularly in 60' times, when "properly driven". Less frictional loss with a stick, too, which means more hp at the wheels. And an LS3 has more hp to start with, than an L99.

But...

Electronics gets rid of the "human" factor. "Cleaner" launch. Quicker 60'. An advantage held for the 1st 1320'...and no missed shifts. A win, "automatically".

"Stay tuned"...
How's the launch control work with an auto? I know the process in a manual, but how are you going to bring the RPM's up and side step the clutch in an auto? Trans brake anyone?
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote