Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
traildevil

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
stock air intake question

Just out of curiousity, I know its really cheap and maybe degrading to the vehicle, however what would happen if I cut the OEM filter box off right after the sensor and attached a K&N cone filter like a CAI would have? any benefits? or?
traildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Pitboss

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS
First thought that comes to mind, that, without heat shielding or box, the engine would be taking in the heated air around the engine. Kinda defeating the whole purpose of a 'cold' air intake.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
There are a few people who have modified the stock intake to accept a cone filter. Some even have gone as far as building there own box to help insulate.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
You would also still have the resonator boxes that would impede air and hurt performance I believe.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
K&N has a filter to fit the stock air box.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2434
Bought it for $43.83 from Amazon.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
You would also still have the resonator boxes that would impede air and hurt performance I believe.
I was at Watkins Glen last weekend and got a good look at the Stevenson and CKS Autosport GS Camaros that run in the Continental Tires Series. When they opened the hood for me to get a look, all three cars were running the stock airbox and inlet tube to the throttle body including the resonator boxes. I know there's a lot of hype about adding a cold air intake, but I'm looking at this as save your money. If it's good enough for the GS Camaros and you're not concerned about the cooler appearance of an aftermarket CAI stick with the stock airbox and get a permanent element filter to put in the stock box.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildevil View Post
Just out of curiousity, I know its really cheap and maybe degrading to the vehicle, however what would happen if I cut the OEM filter box off right after the sensor and attached a K&N cone filter like a CAI would have? any benefits? or?
You would be sucking in a lot of hot air from the engine bay. I am going to go out on a limb and say that you would lose power compared to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
I was at Watkins Glen last weekend and got a good look at the Stevenson and CKS Autosport GS Camaros that run in the Continental Tires Series. When they opened the hood for me to get a look, all three cars were running the stock airbox and inlet tube to the throttle body including the resonator boxes. I know there's a lot of hype about adding a cold air intake, but I'm looking at this as save your money. If it's good enough for the GS Camaros and you're not concerned about the cooler appearance of an aftermarket CAI stick with the stock airbox and get a permanent element filter to put in the stock box.
We tend to think of race cars as running whatever is the latest and greatest in performance, and in many respects this is true, but all racing series have certain regulations that must be following. Induction is often one of the most strictly regulated parts on the engine in order to limit how much power certain vehicles make. I wouldn't draw to hasty of a conclusion without looking through the regs first. I can promise you that they aren't running the stock tube and air box because they couldn't find something better.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Does anyone make a direct replacement silicone hose to replace the stock plastic tube?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If to do something right like a roto fab or CAI was $1000 and required me to find a tech and pay him 300 to install it, I might be cobbling on a conical or something too. But the CAI is like $400 and installs with hand tools in an hour by anyone. When I spend 40K or so on a car, I can find 1% of that number to make the engine compartment work and look good:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
I'll bet that they are not running the stock intake because they want to, I'll bet that they have to. Dyno tests have proven that a CAI is worth about 15 horsepower. Most racers would kill for 15 horsepower.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
K&N has a filter to fit the stock air box.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2434

Another that Jac-Fab sells:
http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...rop-in-filter/
That's what I was going to say

Quote:
I was at Watkins Glen last weekend...
stock airbox...

If it's good enough for the GS Camaros and you're not concerned about the cooler appearance of an aftermarket CAI stick with the stock airbox and get a permanent element filter to put in the stock box.
I don't know about other motors, but there are repeated dyno pulls showing the difference cold air intake makes on the ZL1.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If to do something right like a roto fab or CAI was $1000 and required me to find a tech and pay him 300 to install it, I might be cobbling on a conical or something too. But the CAI is like $400 and installs with hand tools in an hour by anyone. When I spend 40K or so on a car, I can find 1% of that number to make the engine compartment work and look good:
This! Why spend your hard-earned cash on a great car, only to hack and cut up something to try and save some money? Buy a cold air intake and don't look back.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
You can find a used K&N CAI for cheap. Also, I know my local pep boys sells the K&N Cold air intake for the SS and Its pretty cheap.

Don't fabricate your stock box. It will look ridiculous. Save up and buy a used real CAI.

You are even better off buying a cheap one like this off e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-RED-2010-2...78c0f3&vxp=mtr
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
Lookup the member bad70supreme. I think that's correct. He made his own cold air Intake from a stock one.
Or look at this thread by him
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157335

I'm also working on my own. There's a thread in the llt bolt on section
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote