Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I have the same issue. Every so often it starts to idle down really low. Never dies and definitely isn't losing power. I have the Vmax PTB, CAI Inductions intake, and Apex scoop. If the low idle bothers me I just rev the engine a bit to settle the rpms.

I plan on headers and a tune soon so it shouldn't be an "issue" much longer.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
K&N over-oils there filters on purpose. They know some evaporation will take place on the shelf but sadly not enough.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
Why is everyone affraid of a tune?
Mine was tuned after one month, turned out needed the fuse pull, which was yet to be discovered, July 2009, so it was tuned on low octane table, +25HP, +47ft. Lb. torque.
No problems in FOUR years, plus really woke up with fuse pull later.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro70 View Post
Mine was tuned after one month, turned out needed the fuse pull, which was yet to be discovered, July 2009, so it was tuned on low octane table, +25HP, +47ft. Lb. torque.
Most are scared to loose their drivetrain warranty. I don't 100% blame them. Then again I tuned mine 2.5 yrs and 14K miles ago without any issues.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
Chevrolet originally was to bring out performance parts, CAI, headers, exhausts which it seems the bankruptcy stopped, but don't you think that the engineers had tested these engines and drive-lines for the increased power these accessories would add? Do you think dealers like Tom Henry would take a risk with headers and exhausts and other mods if they had to self insure for those modifications? Tom probably asked cousin Scott if those modifications were safe, and I used the same tuner Tom uses, so I wanted the performance and figured it was low risk, anyway I wasn't going to live with an underperforming engine (low octane table loses 25 to 30 HP) so tune and high octane table do keep me smiling. Also have that Vararam tune version CAI, that causes such anguish on this forum.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
I'm really glad to have some reassurance here guys. I was going nuts thinking "I don't have enough HP to be shaking THIS bad".

Birm, I know you recommended getting headers first, then tuning, so would there be any effects of waiting in between to do so or would you recommend doing them about the same time?
Only reason I said to wait for tune is so you dont have to spend $$ twice on a tune...they are not exactly cheap

Quote:
I am not at all advising against a tune, I am just saying to go the more cost effective route and tune it once not twice specially if he is already considering headers
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Only reason I said to wait for tune is so you dont have to spend $$ twice on a tune...they are not exactly cheap

I am not at all advising against a tune, I am just saying to go the more cost effective route and tune it once not twice specially if he is already considering headers
Personally, I was considering a personal tuner like the Diablo Sport tuner. that way, I can tune as often as needed. Also, in case I need to take it back to the dealership and have warranty coverage, I can revert to the stock tune. What are your thoughts on personal tuning vs professional?
- Separate Clutch Reservoir

To-Do List
- Solo Performance Axel Back Exhaust
- Headers (Undecided)
- Tune
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
Birm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Personally, I was considering a personal tuner like the Diablo Sport tuner. that way, I can tune as often as needed. Also, in case I need to take it back to the dealership and have warranty coverage, I can revert to the stock tune. What are your thoughts on personal tuning vs professional?
Oh then by all means tune away. A lot of the newer handheld tuners (SCT/DiabloIntune) allow you to use generic tune that it comes with then add via datalog/mail a custom tune down the road. If you choose to go that route I can help you out with the DiabloIntune

Then you can have your custom tune which can be added and removed at will with the handheld (as you mentioned) done by one of the best LS Tuners in the business, Matt Sorian here at FSP

Just keep in mind, dealers are able to tell if you have changed your tune..If it were something catastrophic (God forbid), I would not expect repair. Something simple I wouldnt worry much.

if I can help you anymore please shoot me a pm or if you have anymore questions
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
Birm

Poor signal on phone duplicate post

Last edited by Birm; 08-27-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Poor signal on phone duplicate post
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Sometimes surging at idle is because the A/F has changed, and the ECM is correcting for it. I recently changed something on my air intake side and I let it idle for 5-10 minutes, and you could hear it idling up and down. I get a wee bit of surge when coming to a stop, so I might lean out the AF at idle with my HPT at some point.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I have a lot of afterfire happening, so that means I am running rich, right? Doesn't make sense o me though.... If I am introducing MORE air into my engine, shouldn't the mixture be heavy with air and lean with fuel? When I go to tune, do I need to lean my mixture or do the opposite?
- Separate Clutch Reservoir

To-Do List
- Solo Performance Axel Back Exhaust
- Headers (Undecided)
- Tune
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Chevrolet originally was to bring out performance parts, CAI, headers, exhausts which it seems the bankruptcy stopped, but don't you think that the engineers had tested these engines and drive-lines for the increased power these accessories would add? Do you think dealers like Tom Henry would take a risk with headers and exhausts and other mods if they had to self insure for those modifications? Tom probably asked cousin Scott if those modifications were safe, and I used the same tuner Tom uses, so I wanted the performance and figured it was low risk, anyway I wasn't going to live with an underperforming engine (low octane table loses 25 to 30 HP) so tune and high octane table do keep me smiling. Also have that Vararam tune version CAI, that causes such anguish on this forum.
They DO self-insure for those mods. Like SLP does. GM will not warranty powertrain failures regardless of true root cause, if a tune is involved. Period.