Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
UK Basketball Rocks

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Something similar happened to me. I was sort of boxed in behind a truck spitting out gravel. I exited the freeway.
When im on the freeways here in Jacksonville, I just stay way back from any semi's or dump trucks even if I have to drive 55mph in a 70 zone cause when you run that slow everyone passes you and you can pretty much ride way back from everyone and avoid any damage.
UK Basketball Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #16
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
I had my windshield replaced at like 6k miles......also have HUD. Safe lite used OEM glass ordered through a local dealer and did a very good job installing it. I honestly can't tell a difference from what came on the car. I say get it replaced and don't worry about it, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Like someone else mentioned it isn't cheap....I think the installer said the glass that accommodated PDR and HUD was around 800ish
Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 AM   #17
TheBigO

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Had my windshield replaced about two months ago from Safelite. It does prompt you to select HUD or no HUD. So far the only difference is no GM emblem on the windshield.
TheBigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
So here is the deal. I'm extremely anal retentive. I apologize I've been on vacation and wanted to step away from the whole thing and calm down. (I should have taken pictures) so the other day, I polished the car (front end) and 99% of the stuff came out) again, thank God for the clear bra it saved a lot of it. the splitter wasn't protected so I hard polished it and 90% and looks decent. the rock chips in the window are on the pass side but not bad (meaning I notice, but most probably won't). So I guess what I am going to do is end up filming the headlights, putting a xpel on the front splitter. Not sure I want to do a claim over this small amount. Just pisses me off. Now, every time I see a dump truck I slow waaaaayyyyy down.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #19
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
So I left on a business trip and came back and I have yet to have my new HRE wheels/sensors calibrated to my car. I got back early yesterday and took it to my dealership (I didn't have time to order that tool that does it). and had them recalibrate it. Well on the way down there (about a 30 min. drive) all of the sudden (on I75) I see this what looked like Storm of rocks, gravel ect. starting pegging my car. Keep in mind that I was around a bunch of other people who were getting pummeled with the same stuff. I couldn't slow down, move over or nothing. I see abougt 1/4 mile a head of me this stupid dump drunk slinking this crap. So I had no choice but to tough it out.
Got to the dealership to assest the damage. and I see 3 rock chips in my windshield (not big but big enough for me to notice) my front splitter is just destroyed/pitted. ALso, keep in mind that I only have 3400 miles and I have the clear bra on. It looks all destroyed.. well I'm impatient, so as soon as I got home, I washed the car thinking a lot of that has the dirt splatters, and the clear bra took the brunt of it so no bumper/paint damage. (one ) very small rock chip in the hood, but it looks like the clear bra might have to be replaced. grill needs replaced and the headlights have small rock chips in it.
I called the insurance and lucky for me I have a zero deductible and this is considered a "flying object" so I don't believe it will have any affect on me. all of the stuff is very very little but its bugging me as I'm very anal about this. I'm on the fence as to weather or not I need to even start a claim. the bra is just over 800 bucks, with the lower grill replacement along with the splitter, I mine as well.

1) have any of you had your windshield replace? I have the HUD so it does matter, I'm just nervous that once the factory seal is broke, it will never be the same. Thoughts on this?
I feel your pain, i had my windshield replaced 2 weeks ago in my ZL1. I only have 2200 miles on it. The company that replaced it had to order it from Chevy. I am happy that it is a factory glass.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #20
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
All cars take a ton of damage from the highway. It's just that it's more noticeable on some than others, and having a fairly low bumper cover or splitter makes it much worse. It means any crap kicked up by the cars in front of you has an even higher chance is being airborne enough to make contact with your vehicle at high speeds.

I considered replacing my splitter because it's absolutely pitted, but instead, I just use some Dr. Colorchip and do a very crappy job at that. I don't put much effort into it, because within a month, it tends to get plastered with new chips. If you wanted your splitter looking factory new, you'd either be buying a new splitter every few weeks or put a massive thick bra over the front of your car. But just like I think putting an ugly bulky case on an iPhone defeats the purpose of the protecting beauty you cannot see, I think covering a Camaro with a big black bra is doing it a disservice.

I bought some gaffer's tape that matches the color of my car. The idea is I will put it on nice and thick in layers when I know I'm going to travel along a highway with lots of debris. It's much uglier than a clear bra obviously, but less ugly than a full sized black bra, and it's temporary.
I did xpel on my ZL1 splitter, etc, but in my old car, I would just have the splitter sprayed one and a while. Shops didn't charge much for the paint and prep. Easy job for them.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #21
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Around here if a rock comes off the road via a tire or something it's considered road hazard. If it comes off a vehicle i.e. dump truck, trailer, etc, it's considered an Unsecured Load and if you can get the license, company name, time of day highway/road name etc, you can file a claim against the owner of the vehicle dropping it's load. Not to mention that it's a $450 fine if the cops catch them.

Absolutely sucks though! I'm getting the SEMA grill installed in my SS tomorrow thanks to a PVC pipe fitting kicked up by a car that broke it's way through my grill a month or two ago!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #22
oneredry
HYPER SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
Around here if a rock comes off the road via a tire or something it's considered road hazard. If it comes off a vehicle i.e. dump truck, trailer, etc, it's considered an Unsecured Load and if you can get the license, company name, time of day highway/road name etc, you can file a claim against the owner of the vehicle dropping it's load. Not to mention that it's a $450 fine if the cops catch them.

Absolutely sucks though! I'm getting the SEMA grill installed in my SS tomorrow thanks to a PVC pipe fitting kicked up by a car that broke it's way through my grill a month or two ago!
well that's one way to get it replaced fast. lol.
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #23
steel

Drives: 2017 ss camaro 6.2L
any suggestion on where to buy xpel. Sounds like this type of product is needed before doing a road trip.
steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #24
oneredry
HYPER SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
any suggestion on where to buy xpel. Sounds like this type of product is needed before doing a road trip.

not sure in your area, but if you have a Ziebart, that's where I got mine done. They offer a true life time warranty and has bailed me out on several occasions.
Delivered 03/23/16
Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #25
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
Can't stand those dump trucks carrying stone. They always seem to make a mess on highways no matter what and The wife and I always seem to find ourselves behind one FCOL.
I love how they have those stickers saying you should stay back because they aren't responsible for debris hitting your car. What a bunch of BS. Of course you are responsible. It's your crap that's flying off your dump truck!
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #26
steel

Drives: 2017 ss camaro 6.2L
Quote:
not sure in your area, but if you have a Ziebart, that's where I got mine done. They offer a true life time warranty and has bailed me out on several occasions.
Thanks
steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #27
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
So here is the deal. I'm extremely anal retentive. I apologize I've been on vacation and wanted to step away from the whole thing and calm down. (I should have taken pictures) so the other day, I polished the car (front end) and 99% of the stuff came out) again, thank God for the clear bra it saved a lot of it. the splitter wasn't protected so I hard polished it and 90% and looks decent. the rock chips in the window are on the pass side but not bad (meaning I notice, but most probably won't). So I guess what I am going to do is end up filming the headlights, putting a xpel on the front splitter. Not sure I want to do a claim over this small amount. Just pisses me off. Now, every time I see a dump truck I slow waaaaayyyyy down.
There is some kind of fix for divots in windshields these days. Some kind of liquid or plastic stuff. All of the auto glass places do it these days. Maybe it wouldn't be too expensive.