Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
LOL...I have a hell of a time getting a jack or even the arms of our lift under my car. I made some simple drive up ramps out of some wood that I use. I be going to the shop tomorrow and I can take a couple pics to give you an idea but basically the are like some 2x8 that the first level is maybe 3' long. Then we put another level that has a 45* cut on one end that you drive up on and it's maybe 1' long. That's screwed on top of the other. You just put those down in front of your wheels and drive right up. That gives you a good 3" or more to get the jack under your car. Of course you have to put them back under the car to when it's time to get the car off the jack stands. When I'm done they lean up nicely in the corner of the shop.

For the most part your list is good. I'm not sure about the Eagle GT though. Never used them, heard they are sticky, but they wear real fast as well. So, that's a decision you'll have to make because they aren't cheap. You mention this is a daily driver and you're on a budget so you need to look into the wear factor vs grip.

Catch can....pretty much a must IMO.

Scoop...again, if you see how much air the water bottle is blocking getting rid of it and putting in a scoop only make sense.

Exhaust...will sound good but no HP. You might even want to look into a muffler delete. I had that for a while. It's a decent compromise until you can save the money for LTs and Tune.

Swaybars good idea as well but IMO they don't really do much to put HP to the ground. They'll help you get good handling though and you should do them at some point but I would put bushings higher on the list then swaybars to put power to the ground.

All that's is just what I would do. Like TBone says...keep in mind your ultimate goals with the car and then keep reading and researching and your game plan will all come together.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 07-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #30
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Read this thread about tires.....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295369

Catch can, you can get an Elite Engineering CC which is an excellent choice. But this is something you will be checking and emptying yourself. It sits at the front of the engine and you do not need a jack, just your one hand.
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/p...ls3-v8-camaro/

Floor jack, gotcha covered. I use this one and my car is lowered.
http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminu...ons-68051.html

Bushings before sways. You need a solid foundation before you can build a building.
Read this...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...en+book&page=5

Trailing arms and Toe rods eliminate wheel hop. These along with bushings. Wheel hop breaks things.... driveshafts, axles, etc.

Do not get headers until you are ready for a tune. It will only hurt your engine, despite what others may say, and be a waste. Exhaust is for sound and compliment your headers. They go hand in hand.

Sorry this is not as elegant as I usually post but I am tired.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
LOL...I have a hell of a time getting a jack or even the arms of our lift under my car. I made some simple drive up ramps out of some wood that I use. I be going to the shop tomorrow and I can take a couple pics to give you an idea but basically the are like some 2x8 that the first level is maybe 3' long. Then we put another level that has a 45* cut on one end that you drive up on and it's maybe 1' long. That's screwed on top of the other. You just put those down in front of your wheels and drive right up. That gives you a good 3" or more to get the jack under your car. Of course you have to put them back under the car to when it's time to get the car off the jack stands. When I'm done they lean up nicely in the corner of the shop.

For the most part your list is good. I'm not sure about the Eagle GT though. Never used them, heard they are sticky, but they wear real fast as well. So, that's a decision you'll have to make because they aren't cheap. You mention this is a daily driver and you're on a budget so you need to look into the wear factor vs grip.

Catch can....pretty much a must IMO.

Scoop...again, if you see how much air the water bottle is blocking getting rid of it and putting in a scoop only make sense.

Exhaust...will sound good but no HP. You might even want to look into a muffler delete. I had that for a while. It's a decent compromise until you can save the money for LTs and Tune.

Swaybars good idea as well but IMO they don't really do much to put HP to the ground. They'll help you get good handling though and you should do them at some point but I would put bushings higher on the list then swaybars to put power to the ground.

All that's is just what I would do. Like TBone says...keep in mind your ultimate goals with the car and then keep reading and researching and your game plan will all come together.
LOL. I already have a thread going about the tread wear of a tire. Compared to the Pirellis, the GTs should "theoretically" last longer, but still give some good performance.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302789
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Read this thread about tires.....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295369

Catch can, you can get an Elite Engineering CC which is an excellent choice. But this is something you will be checking and emptying yourself. It sits at the front of the engine and you do not need a jack, just your one hand.
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/p...ls3-v8-camaro/

Floor jack, gotcha covered. I use this one and my car is lowered.
http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminu...ons-68051.html

Bushings before sways. You need a solid foundation before you can build a building.
Read this...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...en+book&page=5

Trailing arms and Toe rods eliminate wheel hop. These along with bushings. Wheel hop breaks things.... driveshafts, axles, etc.

Do not get headers until you are ready for a tune. It will only hurt your engine, despite what others may say, and be a waste. Exhaust is for sound and compliment your headers. They go hand in hand.

Sorry this is not as elegant as I usually post but I am tired.

T.
How is that catch can emptied? The ones I have seen before have a nut on the bottom with a tube that must be unscrewed to drain. Is the one you suggested above reachable from the engine bay?
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #33
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
ditch the hot air intake get cai rotofab or adm with scoops, get headers (arh or kook) get a dyno and street tune! bam bolt ons for air in and out are done
Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #34
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
How is that catch can emptied? The ones I have seen before have a nut on the bottom with a tube that must be unscrewed to drain. Is the one you suggested above reachable from the engine bay?

Reach in, unscrew bottom of can, drain can into cup, screw can back on. Easy peasy.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote