Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-30-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Advice on spotting the warning signs and how to purchase out of state

Hi. I’m about to begin my magical journey on finding and purchasing a 1LE.

As many of you already know, these things don’t exactly fall out of trees.

My searches commonly expand beyond the borders of my state. I’m looking for a little advice on how to spot worn/bad 1LEs and once I do find a good one, how do I go about buying it, bringing it home. I would appreciate any experience or wisdom you would like to share.

Ive never purchased a used car before let alone one that is out of state. I’m not quite sure what the sequence of events are. I’m lost with things like...How do I trust the dealer So they don’t sell the car to someone else while I’m traveling to pick up the car? Thanks.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I bought both of my 1LE's out of state, it is fairly easy to do. Dealers can always sell the car while you are negotiating with them, that's why never stop searching and have other another car waiting incase the deal falls through. Not sure what your financial situation is but, have your cash or financing ready to go. Talk with your bank and find out what they require for out of state purchase. If you are dependent on the dealer financing you could be in a bad spot. If the dealer can match your loan rate let them do the financing(makes them happy), you can always refinance. Some dealers don't want to deal with out of state buyers, some cater to it. I got my 15 1LE from AutoNation Pembroke Pines, FL and they were awesome. Here is a quick list;

1. Low Miles
2. Pictures- Have them email you the specific pictures you want.
3. CarFax/service records- Not a catch all but gives you something.
4. Independent appraiser- about $150.
5. Talk with the prior owner if possible.
6. Put a deposit to hold the car.
7. You can have the car shipped to you and roll the shipping into the price of the car.
8. When I called the dealer, I asked for the sales manager first, told him my situation and had him refer me to the best sales person for the deal.
8. Be very assertive and tell them what you want and expect.
9. Oh and l forgot, put a post up on here asking about the car or if someone will go look at it for you. You can Paypal them some cash for lunch,dinner, case of beer for their time.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
I bought both of my 1LE's out of state, it is fairly easy to do. Dealers can always sell the car while you are negotiating with them, that's why never stop searching and have other another car waiting incase the deal falls through. Not sure what your financial situation is but, have your cash or financing ready to go. Talk with your bank and find out what they require for out of state purchase. If you are dependent on the dealer financing you could be in a bad spot. If the dealer can match your loan rate let them do the financing(makes them happy), you can always refinance. Some dealers don't want to deal with out of state buyers, some cater to it. I got my 15 1LE from AutoNation Pembroke Pines, FL and they were awesome. Here is a quick list;

1. Low Miles
7. You can have the car shipped to you and roll the shipping into the price of the car.
8. When I called the dealer, I asked for the sales manager first, told him my situation and had him refer me to the best sales person for the deal.
9. Oh and l forgot, put a post up on here asking about the car or if someone will go look at it for you. You can Paypal them some cash for lunch,dinner, case of beer for their time.
Great advice. I would suggest buying from a known forum member here if possible. I've bought two Corvettes in the recent past while a member of the Corvette forum, and there's a lot of peace of mind knowing you're buying from someone who has some history. Otherwise, follow the above advice, and don't be afraid to pull out if something just doesn't seem right. It's a buyers market.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I know of a one owner CRT 2014 1ss/rs 1Le with about 9800 miles that has never seen rain or snow and is bolt on modified and tuned . Pm or email me if interested.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
Level300

Thanks guys! I thought buying out of state would be as easy as buying local. Boy was I wrong. One place wanted a signed bill of sale with a restocking fee in case I didn’t buy the car. The dealer can misrepresent the car and I would get screwed twice. Once for travel expenses and then again for the restocking fee. How do you deal with that? The pictures could be fine but if I go and drive it, there’s a vibration or something that isn’t right. The fee is a percentage of the cost so it’s not chump change. I’m reminded again why I hate dealers so much.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Level300

Quote:

1. Low Miles

Great tips, thanks!

Yeah I had financing secured within a few hours so I was ready, I wasn’t ready about the selling it to someone else while I was flying out there.

How did you find an independent appraiser?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Matty Ice

Just Google it for the area you are looking at. Yep, some dealers just don't want the hassle. It sucks, just have to find one that will work with you. With AutoNation, they had a notary come to my house with all the paperwork, I signed, gave the check and they shipped the car within five days. They took pictures of the splitter, wheels, and all the panels of the car and shot video of it being loaded. They were AWESOME! I was very fortunate. Bought it 2/17. One owner car, 2015 2SS/RS Recaros/NPP 6,700mi, GM certified warranty till 2020- $31.9K. Deals are out there, be patient and look everyday.
Get a Car fax, Have them send good hi-def pictures of all body dings, wheels, and interior, have them certify it with a GM warranty for a year? Have them ship it? It cost me $800 from Miami, FL to Milwaukee, WI. Then when you get it, if something is wrong, take it right to the dealer and get it fixed? That's what I would do.
Only certain types of people own these cars, most take care of them. You can tell by good pictures of the ones that were not and are junk. The old saying, you get what you pay for. You won't find a mint 1LE for $22k with 55,000mi. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Level300

Quote:
Just Google it for the area you are looking at. Yep, some dealers just don't want the hassle. It sucks, just have to find one that will work with you. With AutoNation, they had a notary come to my house with all the paperwork, I signed, gave the check and they shipped the car within five days. They took pictures of the splitter, wheels, and all the panels of the car and shot video of it being loaded. They were AWESOME! I was very fortunate. Bought it 2/17. One owner car, 2015 2SS/RS Recaros/NPP 6,700mi, GM certified warranty till 2020- $31.9K. Deals are out there, be patient and look everyday.
Get a Car fax, Have them send good hi-def pictures of all body dings, wheels, and interior, have them certify it with a GM warranty for a year? Have them ship it? It cost me $800 from Miami, FL to Milwaukee, WI. Then when you get it, if something is wrong, take it right to the dealer and get it fixed? That's what I would do.
Only certain types of people own these cars, most take care of them. You can tell by good pictures of the ones that were not and are junk. The old saying, you get what you pay for. You won't find a mint 1LE for $22k with 55,000mi. Good luck!
Thanks Mattyice! I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on one. It’s across the country. After checking it out I may drive it back. I’ve always wanted to drive across the USA. The new dealer I’m dealing with is so different than the first. No BS games so far.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #9
Matty Ice

AWESOME!!!!! Keep us posted on what you eventually get.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Even if you're buying from a dealer, insist on an independent inspection. Costs around $150 and is well worth it. I haven't found a dealer yet that will say "no", and if they do, I pass on the car....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
Matty Ice

Too funny, that reminds me, when I bought mine from AutoNation, they were actually requiring me to get one. I had to argue with them for a little bit because I knew the car was fine. I wasn't going to waste $140 for what I already knew. Car was mint, 6,700mi, one owner, was bought at that dealer, paid cash, traded back in at that dealer on a Z06/07 which was bought in cash. It was serviced at that dealer, it only had two oil changes(every 3,000mi). Plus it was GM certified with a extended warranty. If any uncertainty get the inspection, they also take detailed pics of everything.