Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #1401
luis550

Drives: 2013 2lt
i would have done this if it AT LEAST looked like the 2014 silverado key/fob. but i refuse to accept GM breaking the key off my fob and calling that a fix.
luis550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #1402
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
My dealer knows nothing about the recall. I watched them sell a Camaro today and watched the guy drive off the lot.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #1403
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm willing to submit to the recall, but if I have to bring anything other than the car and the original fobs, Fuggetaboutit!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #1404
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philar299 View Post
So i guess my car will come with this already done?

Edit: Called me dealer.. they still have no idea about this recall... saying mine is just delayed but is still on the way..... wow.....
Maybe they'll have people sign waivers for Camaros without the key and fob change:

"I hereby decline the Ignition Switch Recall work being offered by GM. I understand that, while really just another result of our WAY overlitigious society, it is being offered under the pretense of safety. I also realize that IF I do happen to die in a horrible fiery crash, (A) GM will not be held liable, and (B) it took a lot of ignorance and bad luck and carelessness and poor posture and weird gynmnastics and poor keyring etiquette and so forth to make the damn thing turn off while I was driving. I willfully choose to keep my cool switchblade- style key and fob, and choose NOT to let some guy bust it open with a screwdriver, dismatle it, and half- ass it back together with duct tape and superglue, and add another jangly key to my keyring, which would now have a remote fob that looked like there was something missing from it."

And on another angle, since these cars COULD possibly drive into a tree at high speed, injuring or even killing somebody, shouldn't we recall all vehicles that have the ability to achieve motion?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #1405
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
They aren't gonna "break" your fob, people...jesus.

There is a small pin at the base of the key, they will drive that out, remove the actual key portion, and rework the fob with the parts ordered, most likely a new housing that deletes the hole the key came out from and the release button. Then you will get new current Gen keys to use, most likely the same as the Silverado.

The aren't going to just break your shit and give it back, doesn't seem hard to figure it out...
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #1406
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
just took car in today to dealer for electrical issues..they never said a word, still got switch blade..
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #1407
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
They aren't gonna "break" your fob, people...jesus.

There is a small pin at the base of the key, they will drive that out, remove the actual key portion, and rework the fob with the parts ordered, most likely a new housing that deletes the hole the key came out from and the release button. Then you will get new current Gen keys to use, most likely the same as the Silverado.

The aren't going to just break your shit and give it back, doesn't seem hard to figure it out...

No one said they are going to break it.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #1408
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
If you end up bringing your car in for another, unrelated repair, will they just go ahead and change out your key without giving you a choice?
This!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #1409
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
I just got the phone with my service adviser. I ask her about them separating the keys from the fob. She told me the the key would work with out the key pad being in the car. That is for for me because I prefer the separate parts. I can out he FOB in a drawer and just use the key with my after market alarm system.
The bad news she said since this is a safety recall and you bring your car in they can not give back the car unless they do the recall on it.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #1410
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
While my key/fob was in the ignition, I tried to hit it with my knee. I couldn't even get my knee close to it. The steering wheel blocks my knee from coming even close. I can't see someone's knee hitting the key unless they had their steering wheel telescoped out their chest. This all seems extreme. I choose not to replace my key.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #1411
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
For those wondering or worried about the requirements to have proof of ownership ... this is now a requirement for all replacement keys not just for this recall.

This is to protect you from having someone else try to get a copy made of your key ... say a friend who borrowed the car, or a family member, or a spouse who is not on the title that is about to file for divorce ... and yeah, the last one happens a lot more often than you might think.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #1412
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Wow, some of you are drama queens.

The dealer isn't going to take a sledge hammer to your fob and then hand it back to you.
They aren't going to call your insurance company and report you if you choose not to do it.
You don't have to bring in the title to proove the car is yours.
A horse head will probably not wind up in your bed if you elect not to do the recall.

Everyone take a deep breath.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #1413
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
While my key/fob was in the ignition, I tried to hit it with my knee. I couldn't even get my knee close to it. The steering wheel blocks my knee from coming even close. I can't see someone's knee hitting the key unless they had their steering wheel telescoped out their chest. This all seems extreme. I choose not to replace my key.
Yep.... it makes no sense... you will have to go really out of your way to even come close to flip the key like that... but if you go by that logic you will have to replace or re-engineer whole lot more in the car then to separate they key from the fob therefor this = BS
Old 06-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #1414
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSe4 View Post
Wow, some of you are drama queens.

The dealer isn't going to take a sledge hammer to your fob and then hand it back to you.
They aren't going to call your insurance company and report you if you choose not to do it.
You don't have to bring in the title to proove the car is yours.
A horse head will probably not wind up in your bed if you elect not to do the recall.

Everyone take a deep breath.
nope they wont brake it, nobody is calling any insurance company and I think this will not be mandatory either...

I guess people are just surprised or pissed how stupid things can get... I mean come one, really try to find legitimate reason for doing any of this....

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall