Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: If Camaros go to a turbo-charged v6 instead of a v8 I'll...
Not buy another Camaro if it's not a v8 168 69.42%
Happily buy or trade up for 600HP even if it is a v6 68 28.10%
Buy it, but tell everyone it's a v8 6 2.48%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #141
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
In the past you could really tell who the car guys were in the crowd..v8..big tires loud exhaust...bad smells and no traction control. A lot of those cars were built....one owner would do something to the motor ..the next owner might do paint..so on and so on. I respect those guys that wrenched on those cars to get every last bit of hp out of them. Now you have so many choices for performance...426 hp is a good starting point now. I love the new technology don't get me wrong...but in my opinion I think the true car guys are not getting the respect they deserve because so many people are buying these cars just to say the have on. Im not talking about or insulting anyone. Im curious how many guys there are driving around in challengers..mustangs and Camaros that cant even change their own oil. Based on some of the threads ive seen im guessing there are more then a few. So lets respect the cars of today....but give props to the cars and the car guys of days gone by. Because those cars and those guys are the grass roots of the car culture we enjoy today. I even give props to the tuners that put a lot of time and effort in their rides..not the ricers..know the difference.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #142
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
The oil crisis in 1973 removed a lot of V8's from people's very much alive and warm fingers. Technology brought it back to us with the same and now more power as the 60's but this took a lot of effort and added a lot of cost.
I lived back then. And I should thank the car Gods every day for the '73 oil crisis. That made the normally unwilling game to get rid of their "gas hogs" on the cheap to which we bought them because we were still in school and didn't have a ton of money to buy new. My first "post oil crisis" car was a 69 442 with a 400 cubic inch big block Olds with a 4 speed and 3.91 gears. Bought for $600. Sucked on gas mileage, but was tons of fun. That's where I got my love for V8s and it stuck.

$10/gallon gas prices do not scare me. Just like back then, if I couldn't afford the gas, the car sat until I could. I wouldn't have car payments, so I could afford higher gas prices anyway. At 10 per gallon, and say, 15 mpg, I could spend $300 per month in my tank rather than a car payment. That's 2 tanks of gas. Since they're toys anyway, that's PLENTY. So I say, bring it.

GM built the cars that we could finally buy new. So rontammy was right in a sense that it was the guys that could only afford the used muscle cars in high school were yearning to get some of those yesteryear days back. That's why the 5th gen is widely appreciated, by mixing retro with new. We have it all, now.

Don't mistake my personal choice of only wanting a V8 in my Camaro as not respecting a choice for someone else. It's your money, buy whatever you want. I'm good with that. Already said so. But with MY money, it's V8 or I stick with the "classic" stuff. If I have to buy something other than a V8, I sure as heck won't be buying a new Camaro. Cold, dead fingers comment on my shifter still applies.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #143
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
Ford is not abandoning the V8 and neither will chevy for the camaro. GM has announced the return of the grand national with a turbo v6. Im sure that drivetrain will soon be in the camaro as well as a v8
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #144
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
Ford is not abandoning the V8 and neither will chevy for the camaro. GM has announced the return of the grand national with a turbo v6. Im sure that drivetrain will soon be in the camaro as well as a v8
When did GM announce the return of the Grand National? That would be sweet!

I can only find speculation, wishing, and hoping for the return of the Grand National and GNX.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #145
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
When did GM announce the return of the Grand National? That would be sweet!

I can only find speculation, wishing, and hoping for the return of the Grand National and GNX.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars

It was from May 2013....and I could definitely see it happening as sharing the Alpha platform would lower costs even more...it's a very good chassis.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #146
jbird76

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
I would much prefer the return of the GSX, with a stage-1 version. Arguably the best muscle car of that era....
jbird76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #147
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars

It was from May 2013....and I could definitely see it happening as sharing the Alpha platform would lower costs even more...it's a very good chassis.
This one is even more recent, but it still is just speculation. I hope it happens though. It seems like such a no brainer to give Buick a performance car especially since they are trying so hard to change the image. I think with Mark Ruess in charge of product development at GM there is a very good chance it will happen, but I still won't hold my breath.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/buick...rand-national/
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #148
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
A lot of engines can make power, including a V6 and 4-banger, but the only thing that sounds like a V8 is a V8. It's nice having the power, but for me, the sound is a big part of it, too.

E.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:25 AM   #149
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
Honestly, I'd rather see them retire the Camaro and Corvette nameplates if/when emissions regulations push the V8 out of the realm of possibility. You can make your TTV6 all day long just don't call it a Camaro or a Vette.

But if this does happen will prolly get an SRT chally.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote