Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
2slik

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just Installed Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers

I'm not going to share an entire "how to" in this post as I feel there are stickies on this site, like the one I used, with plenty of good info. I'm just going to give my two cents worth about this particular brand of header. So, after much debate, research, and a few sleepless nights I opted to purchase the Speed Engineering 1 7/8" long tubes for my low mileage 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6. They had great reviews in many threads on here and were more than reasonably priced. Now dont get me wrong, I had the money for the KOOK's but, felt after much soul searching, that IMO the money I would save could be better spent elsewhere (like on other go fasty stuff). When I purchased the headers on Speed Engineerings site there were drop down menus for upgrades so, I ordered the "off road" connection pipe package to replace the cats, the GM MLS gasket upgrade, and new header bolts. Everything came to right at $355.00 and I think shipping was about $25-30 which, I thought was a bargin.

Installation held no surprises, they installed as easily as the stickies and videos claimed that the long tubes do on these cars. No fitament issues at all...every bolt hole lined up...all the pipes cleared...I was even able to reuse the factory exhaust band clamps the connect the "off road" pipes to the rest of the stock exhaust (which worked beautifully btw). bottom line they fit like they were made for my car, which, well, they were...lol. Anyhow, this is day one so, Ill keep every one informed of their durability with daily use and report back but, so far I can say they were easy as any other brand to install and fit like a glove!

On a side note, as for the dreaded highway cruising/low RPM drone, I didn't experience any with these headers, no cats, and the stock exhaust which, btw, sounds amazing!!! Anyone, has any questions feel free to message me.

UPDATE: Been six months since I installed these on my car and other than some discoloration they are still leak free and working perfectly! BTW I drive my car daily.

Last edited by 2slik; 03-29-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Update
2slik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Very cool

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
cut your mufflers out and replace with axle back...whole new world!

(drone>> did you say sumthin?)

btw - good on you fer doin your own wrenchin!!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Nice man! The SE headers are definitely worth it if you can accept something not American made and don't need cats. Glad the installation went well for you and you're happy with the outcome! Give it time, that factory catback will come off, they always do eventually (NPP is the exception)
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
2slik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
Nice man! The SE headers are definitely worth it if you can accept something not American made and don't need cats. Glad the installation went well for you and you're happy with the outcome! Give it time, that factory catback will come off, they always do eventually (NPP is the exception)
Thanks and yes, Im already looking at some catback but kinda likin the way it sounds right now so Im in no hurry.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #6
2slik

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
cut your mufflers out and replace with axle back...whole new world!

(drone>> did you say sumthin?)

btw - good on you fer doin your own wrenchin!!

Thanks man...been doin my own wrenchin for a long time...have a thing about other people wrenchin on my ride.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:50 AM   #7
sweet99ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
I just put the same Speed Engineering Headers on mine a few weeks ago. I agree. Install was super simple and they fit perfect. I was very impressed with them!

My exhaust sounds like ass however. I recommend if you like the way it sounds now just leave it. You have nothing to really gain replacing the stock cat back. I have straight pipes and my god it's over bearing loud and has a terrible echoing sound to it. I'm going to try an x-pipe and bullet mufflers and if that does't do the trick I'll add some cats as well
~00 SS~ (Forged LS/IIHS 7875 Turbo/RPM Lvl 6/Strange S60) 10.3-141
~2010 SS~ (SLP TVS2300 Blower/Speed Eng LT's)
~2012 ZL1~ (IIHS Twin Turbo)
sweet99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:21 AM   #8
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Quote:
I'm glad I read all of your post before sayin something. lol I SEARCHED for NPP.

Op glad to hear you joined the budget header club. For what they are the quality is great! Make sure to get your car tuned to see maximum benefit.
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
any pictures of your setup or specifically the off road pipe?
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
I'm glad I read all of your post before sayin something. lol I SEARCHED for NPP.

Op glad to hear you joined the budget header club. For what they are the quality is great! Make sure to get your car tuned to see maximum benefit.
NPP is pretty nice, I do love the way they sound cammed
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #11
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
NPP is pretty nice, I do love the way they sound cammed
im going for a SE headers to high flow cats ( making them with flanges and high flow cats from kooks ) and bolting them up to my Xpipe to NPP on my 2011 SS
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
any pictures of your setup or specifically the off road pipe?
Mine...
Attached Images

2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
rudySS

is it tune is check engine light on?
rudySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
Just got mine back last week with SE headers and a BTR Stage 3 cam and for the most part really like it. Didn't have as deep a tone as I'd hoped for and I have NPP. Concerned I have a leak somewhere though as the exhaust smell can be overbearing at times even on the move. Also decel pop is currently awful and I LOVED it before the change. Thinking it might be due to leak? Getting many more pops like machine gun regularly and they are LOUD, like 12 gauge shotgun loud. That's too much.

Overall it's fine/fun, but 500rwhp didn't feel as badass as I thought it would... planning what's next...
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote