Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
What can be killing my transmissions??? 7.7k miles and tranny number 2 is shot?

I'm not just going to trust the shop because obviously they are missing something. I lost my first transmission at 1.2k miles, and the shop said they've never seen a transmission destroyed like that before in their life. (see post in Dec. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57770 ) After only a few hundred miles, I brought it back to say there is grinding again in third gear. They couldnt reproduce it, and said to just wait longer since its still under warranty. Now at 7.7k miles, The transmission is popping out of third gear, thumping and grinding at most gears, and won't go into gear at times across the board.

Sounds like some serious synchro problems, but I'm not sure how that wouldn't be solved by the second transmission (it was a whole new tranny, not a rebuild). What part(s) would NOT be replaced by the transmission, which would be causing this? Something with the clutch assembly or the hydraulic clutch system?

Any ideas appreciated. I hate having a NEW car that I don't even trust to drive anywhere because I worry its going to break down on me again...
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Did the shop look at the crankshaft centerline in relation the the trans mainshaft? Old school small blocks used dowels to align the bellhousing to the crankshft centerline. You could get offset dowels to align bellhousing and trans. Not sure if this is possible with LS motors and trans but a thought.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
How does your clutch pedal feel? At this time, with the info you have provided, I am tempted to believe the freak failure you had with the first trans is solved and maybe you are experiencing the clutch issues some of the others have been having. I'm not saying you are wrong, just giving a theory. I'm also assuming the dealer hasn't been back in it yet.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
There certainly is a very good chance that they are unrelated, but you can't blame me for fearing that they aren't! haha...

I'll bring these ideas with me to the dealer.
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Well its still a possibility so I don't think your thought proccess is outlandish at all. Just tossin ideas around until you get'er fixed. I do hope it is quick and painless and wish you the best of luck.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
summitss/rsls3

Drives: summit white/IOM ss/rs ls3
mine took a trans at 320 miles also, service manager said samething "look like a granade went off in this thing", and now im having the clutch sticking on me so i told him to get another trans on order because if this clutch problem doesnt get solved its gonna take another one. BTW im at 2K miles now.
summitss/rsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote