Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Of the ones on that listing, this ones seems like a good deal to me. I think you could get them down a couple grand more actually (say, $32,000). The funny part is their use of the word "Rare". Chevy made (and are still making) a lot of 1LEs - nothing rare about them (apologies to 1LE owners). Also... every Gen5 Camaro sold since 2010, manual or automatic, has been a six-speed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Used 2013 Chevrolet CamaroSS Coupe

</DIV> $33,999

Reduced!

13,921 miles
Black
VERY RARE 1LE RACING PACKAGE!!N~A~V~I~G~A~T~I~O~N!! ONE OWNER!! CARFAX CERTIFIED!! STILL UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY!! 2SS PACKAGE! RARE 6-SPEED
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
If you are emotionally attached to the car then find someone you trust to maintain it.

If not, I'd sell it. Eat any loss now. Save up while you're overseas so when you come back you can buy another one. If you are in love with the 5th gens there will be low mileage, garage kept examples for quite some time. Then again you might fall in love with the 6th gen and buy that when you come back.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #17
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Well, I will do you a favor. You can drop it off with me here in Colorado, I will take good care of it. I won't put more than 50,000 - 60,000 miles on it in 5 years. I will make sure that it is driven like it is supposed to be. Of course, you will still make insurance and car payments on it. I promise to drive it at over 100 mph whenever I can. Just kidding...sell it, take the loss. The only thing you can do. Just remember to not order the Gaegogi over there. My sister went over as her hardship tour in the Army. She did enjoy it. My dad was stationed in Germany during the late 70s-early 80s. Enjoy it while you are there. Make sure you travel. And if you do take a tour, do not look for the nearest McDonalds, find a local restaurant, the food is so much better. Anyway, good luck on your world traveling. Just enjoy it. And thanks for your service.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patten View Post
Just got orders to Korea for a year and my follow on assignment to Germany. I can not take my car to Korea, and we are only allowed to ship one vehicle to Germany (4 years). The one vehicle will be our Flex for my family. I am paying on my Camaro and owe just under $30,000 but I have 0% financing. The car just passed 10,000 miles yesterday.

So do hold on to the Camaro or do I sell it before I leave? What are the potential pitfalls of storing a Camaro for 5 years? Thanks!
Thanks for your service !!! If I were you I would sell it , Sitting for 5 years is not good unless you cn have someone drive it at least once a year , seals will harden , tires wil be shot , animals could sneak in and eat it up, you will have to pay for storage , etc , save up and get the 6th gen when you get back
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #19
bdrobLS3

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SSRS Manual Coupe
Send a message via AIM to bdrobLS3
might I suggest a third option I am here in Germany and I must say if you eat the shipping cost here to Germany you will get it back selling to a European. I've had offers on mine and I am not trying to sell nor advertise it as such. not to mention how much fun they are to drive around up here the down side is you only get 400 Liters of rations so spirited driving means by mid month you pay economy prices for fuel...its up to you but I would not store my Camaro for 5 years if I were you
bdrobLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #20
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
The family can walk, ship the Camaro sell the Ford
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #21
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Whatever you do don't store it, I have a Bimmer that sat for 4 years and it's gone through hell doing nothing.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #22
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Sell the family truckster here and take the Camaro. It'll be a blast to drive it there and get a little diesel econo box in Europe for the family to use and for cheap driving. At worst check out what the sale price for your Camaro is over there and you might be able to make a few bucks and get a nice ZL when you come back.

Thanks for all you guys do for all of us out there so we can do what we want to do.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #23
Patten

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS Inferno Orange
Thanks for all of the input guys. I did some google searching and it looks like storing it is out of the question unless I have it professionally prepped and stored. https://www.adkos.com/ Would be a nice option but the military will not pay for it if I ship a vehicle overseas.

Looked up prices in Germany and it looks like they are priced anywhere between 29,000-39,000 Euro. So between $39,482-$53,096 USD. Very tempting... http://www.ooyyo.de/used-chevrolet-c...DA31D6617F385/ Does anyone have experience selling a US spec vehicle in Germany?

Last edited by Patten; 07-09-2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added link
Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 AM   #24
Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
One thing I have learned about selling cars I own is that anyone might be 100% correct that a car you're selling privately is "worth" X amount of dollars. Perfectly accurate to say and know it's worth that much.

The problem is how much can you get a buyer to buy it for. I've bought used cars for less than they are worth. Seller didn't want it to go down that way. You need a 'motivated buyer' to agree with your 100% accurate and correct determination of value. Sometimes it happens.

Very true... It's only worth what someone will pay.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #25
Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrobLS3 View Post
might I suggest a third option I am here in Germany and I must say if you eat the shipping cost here to Germany you will get it back selling to a European. I've had offers on mine and I am not trying to sell nor advertise it as such. not to mention how much fun they are to drive around up here the down side is you only get 400 Liters of rations so spirited driving means by mid month you pay economy prices for fuel...its up to you but I would not store my Camaro for 5 years if I were you
After some very short research, looks like storing it for 5 years is out of the question.

What were they offering on your car? Is it a PITA to sell it? Taxes ect?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #26
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Yeah, the best option is to sell it now. If the dealership you bought it from is close by, you might see if they'd buy it back from you (without bending you over too bad) considering your military obligations.

And thank you for your service.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:25 AM   #27
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
If you have a carmax near you, see what they will offer you. You never know.
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #28
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
You need to sell it. You are under water, so you will have to come up with some cash or get an unsecured loan (maybe credit line at bank or credit card) to cover the difference.

Drive it to CarMax and get it priced. Selling it yourself is best as you would get "retail". You might get lucky with craigslist, camaro5. You could hold out and store it while it is for sale if you can get someone to show the car.

Lastly some car lots work on consignment, meaning they don't buy your car, they just take a commission when it is sold. This would solve the storage problem while waiting to get sold.

Tags
sell, storage