Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
Yup, we own a small, independent auto repair & performance shop.
If someone questions why we're buying in this economy, we tell them we're trying to do our part to "stimulate the economy".
We live modestly and the only debt we carry is our mortgage, so for this to be our first new car in 10 years, how we choose to spend our money is our business, frankly.
Besides, modifications to this Camaro will be great advertisement as to the quality work my husband does. He's already well known for his work with first gen Camaros and other GM cars, so this will further solidify him as "the Camaro guy" to go to for modifications and service.
http://www.modernclassicsauto.com

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '07 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch98 View Post
Your customers come and go depending on the kind of vehicle you drive?
I don't mean to be rude, but this is the kind of smartass remark that annoys the hell out of me. I am trying to open up a computer store atm, and do as much independent work without a store as I can. One day I was driving my dad's jag to a client's house. He said "Wow, you have a jag? I thought you were a normal guy!" My dad paid $10k for the jag, it cost him less than the toyota I was driving at the time.

It's not that they will come and go based on your car, it is just the general image that they percieve of you. The same reason they will go to you instead of walmart (or in my case, geek squad).

Again, I didn't mean to be rude, even if I reffered to your remark as smartass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
I market Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants part time and work as a mechanic full time. My part time business is what allows me the luxury of extra cash to buy the Camaro. In my business I sell at wholesale to get as many customers as possible and try to give good service. If your customers know the value of your products and like your service they know you deserve the luxury of some toys. The other side of the coin is that in my business I tell them that if they want some extras in life they may want to consider being in my business. Not everyone can offer a customer a chance to actually be a part of the business, but it might get some people thinking about getting off their butts and doing a little more to get a little more out of life. Sometimes seeing the other guys toys starts you thinking, why not me, and how can I get something more than I have right now. Just a few random thoughts. Everyones business is different, but you still deserve the profits from your hard work. Unlike the assholes that rob us blind on the bailout money bonuses. Where else but in America can someone run a company in the ground and come up with millions in bonuses? If any of us small business people did it we would be broke and selling all our possesions and not spending millions of taxpayers money. Some folks should go to jail including the politicians that give out that money without some simple oversights to prevent these rip offs. Sorry to rant. Mike Barber
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #18
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur

Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
I have found that is a bit polarizing. Some business owners who hire my services think its a reflection of my success and they want to do business with other companies that the perceive as successful and others just think you charge to much. I stopped driving my expensive rides to my clients with the exception of a few who don't have small ***** and can handle it. Most of the time I drive my truck or one my older cars.

In your case, probably hard to keep a new car under wraps, people like to talk about that kind of thing.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Same thing here we own a resturaunt and everytime one of us purchases a new vehicle its an attitude" Guess prices are going up" or the You guys charge for a side of what? Guess I'm paying your new car blah blah blah
Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #20
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowed_Stranger View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but this is the kind of smartass remark that annoys the hell out of me. I am trying to open up a computer store atm, and do as much independent work without a store as I can. One day I was driving my dad's jag to a client's house. He said "Wow, you have a jag? I thought you were a normal guy!" My dad paid $10k for the jag, it cost him less than the toyota I was driving at the time.

It's not that they will come and go based on your car, it is just the general image that they percieve of you. The same reason they will go to you instead of walmart (or in my case, geek squad).

Again, I didn't mean to be rude, even if I reffered to your remark as smartass.
Looking to hire?

and on topic i get the same attitude from kids on campus when they see me driving my dad's porsche for the day. i dont know why but they get extremely jealous. one time a guy in his truck parked so close to the drivers side door that it couldnt open and i had to climb through the passenger's side
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #21
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
People are jerks no one is happy for anyone anymore we have become a very petty, childish, selfish nation. We just want want want and never say good for him or look at what she's accomplishing God bless. There used to be a time when you were happy for people who made something of themselves now all we do is tare people down. When my customers come in and show me there new cars or watches etc etc I always check them out and give them my honest opinion and i do not envy them or hate them for it. I don't know where all this animosity towards success came from but its ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Every business is different. Our business is 95% return business so we know our clients on a personal basis. All of them know about my car.

I have had advertisers or media buyers come to my office and I wanted to inadvertantly peek out and see their car. I don't want to trust my advert. dollars in the hands of a guy driving a 1972 Ford Pinto.

In some businesses image is more than in others. But there is a fine line between exuding success and professionalism, or flaunting. Years ago when we started the business I thought how great is was to not have a boss. Well, I have over 150 bosses.

So to the OP, I understand what your'e saying.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #23
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
People are jerks no one is happy for anyone anymore we have become a very petty, childish, selfish nation. We just want want want and never say good for him or look at what she's accomplishing God bless. There used to be a time when you were happy for people who made something of themselves now all we do is tare people down. When my customers come in and show me there new cars or watches etc etc I always check them out and give them my honest opinion and i do not envy them or hate them for it. I don't know where all this animosity towards success came from but its ridiculous if you ask me.
Wow!!! Something positive from you for a change!! LOL! JK Bro!!

This is prolly the best comment you ever made!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 AM   #24
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Wow!!! Something positive from you for a change!! LOL! JK Bro!!

This is prolly the best comment you ever made!
We're talking about business. All BS left behind. lol
Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 AM   #25
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
well, good thing it's only a camaro. you guys shouldn't have any problems with that sort of thing.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #26
Liberty1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS; 2010
I used to be in the business of going door to door selling life insurance. I own a Cavalier and was planning on buying the new Cadillac CTS. Everyone at my office told me it was not a good idea as it would bring unnecessary attention and possible negative attention toward myself. It doesn't matter what we as businesspeople thing. It's all about what the customer perceives.

I believe it was Brian Tracy who stated (and I roughly quote) that 80% of all sales are closed within the first 30 seconds. Fist impression and appearance is everything!

Meet Black Betty...
Liberty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #27
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
you have got to be kidding me, if people are actually noticing what your driving; you might just be in the worng industry and or the wrong location.

ie

when people here show up in expensive cars in LA, as according to LA standards, they get dealt respect. i know that doesn't make sense, but it makes no less sense then your customer base seeing your new car purchase as anything more then you making a monetary dive.

personally, i own a corporation; the camaro is the company car... people dont judge me on what i drive but on what i produce, then again this is LA; so feel free to take it with a grain of whatever.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #28
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbarberoilman View Post
I market Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants part time and work as a mechanic full time. My part time business is what allows me the luxury of extra cash to buy the Camaro. In my business I sell at wholesale to get as many customers as possible and try to give good service. If your customers know the value of your products and like your service they know you deserve the luxury of some toys. The other side of the coin is that in my business I tell them that if they want some extras in life they may want to consider being in my business. Not everyone can offer a customer a chance to actually be a part of the business, but it might get some people thinking about getting off their butts and doing a little more to get a little more out of life. Sometimes seeing the other guys toys starts you thinking, why not me, and how can I get something more than I have right now. Just a few random thoughts. Everyones business is different, but you still deserve the profits from your hard work. Unlike the assholes that rob us blind on the bailout money bonuses. Where else but in America can someone run a company in the ground and come up with millions in bonuses? If any of us small business people did it we would be broke and selling all our possesions and not spending millions of taxpayers money. Some folks should go to jail including the politicians that give out that money without some simple oversights to prevent these rip offs. Sorry to rant. Mike Barber

I would like to know more about the amsoil oil marketing. I am always looking for something to do on the side.

I could be wrong but I think that is the reason it is the way it is now. If you go to a locally owned store or restaurant or mechanic the money is going to stay local. But if you go to walmart or foodlions or some big chain the money isn't staying local. From my experience people would drive 10miles to save a penny which in reality they are spending more because of the extra gas to get there. I have tried to figure the people around here out but I have no clue what they would want other than to see me driving a pinto that broke down every other mile. Thanks for the great replies.
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote