Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
aluminized or stainless steel exhaust tubing when adding an X-pipe?

I bought a Magnaflow resonated X-pipe to install but all the local shops use only aluminized metal. One guy said he could get the stainless but I have to pay $70 for it and I'm sure I could get the amount I need for a lot less. What are you guys doing when adding an X-pipe? Unless you do the work on your own, do you have your local shops weld it up with the typical aluminized metal or do you have the use 304 or 409 stainless steel?

Last edited by The SwiftChancelor; 08-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
The SwiftChancelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
You have SP LTs, Solo axleback, and a magnaflow x-pipe. What part of the tubing are you missing that needs to be added?

btw, $70 extra for custom bent and welded stainless tubing is not that bad.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
The SwiftChancelor

I have the L99 so the mid-muffler or resonator H-pipe is twice as long as the magnaflow resonated X-pipe. I need, I think around 2ft of 2 1/2in diameter of stainless steel tubing (around a foot for each side) to connect the X-pipe to the Solo axle-back. Stainless Works Power sells the 2 1/2in stainless steel tubing at around $15 per foot with $17 for shipping. I'm just wondering if people just go with what there local shops have which is usually aluminized metal or specifically ask for stainless?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
TheNewCzar

Drives: 2011 SS Rally Yellow Vert, 2000 WS6
I just went with what the shop had. They cut out the resonator and welded in the Tru-X and short bit of pipe to where they cut the back of the resonator.
TheNewCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Stay away from aluminized steel. It is garbage and will rust out in a couple years. Your factory components and the Magnaflow X-pipe are both 400 series stainless, I believe the Solo axle back is as well, so I would go with that at a minimum.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
The SwiftChancelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Stay away from aluminized steel. It is garbage and will rust out in a couple years. Your factory components and the Magnaflow X-pipe are both 400 series stainless, I believe the Solo axle back is as well, so I would go with that at a minimum.

Thank you. I'm trying to get it by Friday so I can have it installed before the Somerset, KY, Somernites Cruise event you may know about. I found some 2.5in 409 Stainless Steel exhaust tubing 4ft long on Summit Racing for under $30 and $10 for shipping. Beats the hell out of the local shops $70 price which I bet would have kept the extra steel.

Last edited by The SwiftChancelor; 08-19-2012 at 10:20 AM.
The SwiftChancelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SwiftChancelor View Post
Thank you. I'm trying to get it by Friday so I can have it installed before the Somerset, KY, Somernites Cruise event you may know about. I found some 2.5in 409 Stainless Steel exhaust tubing 4ft long on Summit Racing for under $30 and $10 for shipping. Beats the hell out of the local shops $70 price which I bet would have kept the extra steel.
Oh yeah, I am familiar with Somerset. We went for the first time a couple months ago when the F-Body was the featured car. Had a lot of fun and will definitely be back.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Hmm, Got that garbage under my truck, Been over 5 years 164,000 miles and still working fine, Got it on my Camaro axle back, still no problems.. Why waste a lot of money on stuff you will never see? Yes stainless will last a lot longer but most never own the car that long..
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
Hmm, Got that garbage under my truck, Been over 5 years 164,000 miles and still working fine, Got it on my Camaro axle back, still no problems.. Why waste a lot of money on stuff you will never see? Yes stainless will last a lot longer but most never own the car that long..
Down south you can probably get away with it but with the salt brine that is on our roads half the year aluminized steel just doesn't hold up. The OP is located near us so that is something that has to be a consideration for him. That is also why the OEM uses the more expensive 400 series stainless instead of aluminized steel. They would be replacing a lot of exhaust systems under warranty.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Down south you can probably get away with it but with the salt brine that is on our roads half the year aluminized steel just doesn't hold up. The OP is located near us so that is something that has to be a consideration for him. That is also why the OEM uses the more expensive 400 series stainless instead of aluminized steel. They would be replacing a lot of exhaust systems under warranty.
Makes since, I have no idea where wildcat country was. That's one thing we dont have to worry about around here is salt, We dont get much snow and when we do they use sand..
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
The SwiftChancelor

Wildcat country is the heart of the bluegrass, "my ol' Kentucky home". Maybe not Apex though, he might be a Cardinal. College ball is big for us here in KY. Back to the exhaust topic, I've had flowmasters welded up with aluminized pipe on past cars and it doesn't last a year or two before it starts rusting through. Got my Magnaflow resonated X-pipe welded on with the 409 stainless and I'd have to say there's not much difference loud wise but dose have more of that throaty exhaust note.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Wildcat country is the heart of the bluegrass, "my ol' Kentucky home". Maybe not Apex though, he might be a Cardinal...

I knew this picture would come in handy some day.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
The SwiftChancelor

Ha, ha! Took the Camaro out again and like I said the resonated X-pipe has more of a throaty sound than the stock L99 H-pipe but I don't think its all around louder. I'm kinda disappointed, unless it gets louder or I'm just not used to it I may have to put the Tru-X on and have no type of muffler. Anyone know of this?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Ha, ha! Took the Camaro out again and like I said the resonated X-pipe has more of a throaty sound than the stock L99 H-pipe but I don't think its all around louder. I'm kinda disappointed, unless it gets louder or I'm just not used to it I may have to put the Tru-X on and have no type of muffler. Anyone know of this?

I have 2010 L99 and I had the dealer install the GM performance mufflers when I bougth the car. I'm also experimenting and did a muffler delete. To my surprise it didn't make much difference so I removed the resonator added an x pipe and was going to reinstall the mufflers when the guys at the shop said "you may want to hear it before putting the muffers back on." They were right, it still didn't have the volume I had expected so I left them off. It's ok and pops a little more than before. Now I'm looking at the cats and headers and guessing that if I remove the cats I'll have to put the muffers back on
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote