Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Botoasy

Drives: 2015 RRM 1LE
Changing a tune

I currently have the Trifecta tune on my car, I honestly cannot feel a difference between my car with it and my buddy's with almost the same setup and no tune. Is the IPF tune that much better? Will I have trouble installing the IPF tune if I get it?

2010 Camaro LS: BBK Longtube Headers with Hi Flow Cats, BBK CAI, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Magnaflow X-pipe and Resonators, Ported TB, Mace Ported IM and Spacer,Trifecta Tune, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. SOLD!!!

My Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272765
Botoasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
I doubt you'd notice much of a difference bewteen the two. You're looking at a handful of HP difference if that.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
There's actually a dyno graph showing more than a handful of hp between the two. It's in ventmaster's thread I believe.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Botoasy

Drives: 2015 RRM 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
There's actually a dyno graph showing more than a handful of hp between the two. It's in ventmaster's thread I believe.
I may have to track that dyno down

2010 Camaro LS: BBK Longtube Headers with Hi Flow Cats, BBK CAI, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Magnaflow X-pipe and Resonators, Ported TB, Mace Ported IM and Spacer,Trifecta Tune, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. SOLD!!!

My Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272765
Botoasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
I'm not sure what Ventmaster's thread is... Looked through some of his posts, and didn't see much.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botoasy View Post
I currently have the Trifecta tune on my car, I honestly cannot feel a difference between my car with it and my buddy's with almost the same setup and no tune. Is the IPF tune that much better? Will I have trouble installing the IPF tune if I get it?
I honestly didnt feel a difference with the trifecta tune with my car when i was N/A vs no tune...

It might not be worth it to switch but if you do, once you put your Trifecta "stock" file back, you will still need to go to the dealer and need to get a ECU reflash. This is because trifecta is blocking any one else from tuning your car The update is free but the labor just depends on the dealer. I had to pay 100$ to remove that "tune" from my car.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
I honestly didnt feel a difference with the trifecta tune with my car when i was N/A vs no tune...

It might not be worth it to switch but if you do, once you put your Trifecta "stock" file back, you will still need to go to the dealer and need to get a ECU reflash. This is because trifecta is blocking any one else from tuning your car The update is free but the labor just depends on the dealer. I had to pay 100$ to remove that "tune" from my car.
Good call, forgot to mention that.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Good call, forgot to mention that.
You still running w/o the tune?...before i put the S/c on, I liked the way my car ran with the headers and no tune... no CEL.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
lscamaro

Quote:
You still running w/o the tune?...before i put the S/c on, I liked the way my car ran with the headers and no tune... no CEL.
Yep, still no tune in the car. It's sitting nicely in my laptop. No plans to put it in either
I'll probably be going with the dyno tune from LMR after I install my headers

Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

Yeah that is true. Its always something that pops in my head when I think about the IPF tune. I had Trifecta before as well (no longer using it) but I'm sure I'd have to get the ECU reflash as well. Sucks to have to pay a bunch of money up front before you can do the switch.

So what did you ask your dealer to do? Did you just outright tell them you had a tune and wanted them to flash it back to stock...or did you ask for something else?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Yeah that is true. Its always something that pops in my head when I think about the IPF tune. I had Trifecta before as well (no longer using it) but I'm sure I'd have to get the ECU reflash as well. Sucks to have to pay a bunch of money up front before you can do the switch.

So what did you ask your dealer to do? Did you just outright tell them you had a tune and wanted them to flash it back to stock...or did you ask for something else?
Well...I first asked for a MDI flash update... "Uh, whats that?" Then i asked for a ECU re-flash, so they had to ask the corvette tech and he knew what I was asking for.

Since I knew him, plainly told him it had a tune and wanted the ECU to be flashed back to stock with the latest update from GM.

I was a little pissed to pay to have it removed but it was worth it to put the IPF SC on.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
BNRacing

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 Camaro 2.0
You shouldn't have had to do that with a Trifecta tune.... I've seen people switch from Trifecta to other stuff before and they haven't had any problems. A lot of people switched from Trifecta to HPTuners (and a lot went back to Trifecta) in the Cobalt SS market and no one had any problems. Trifecta does not lock ECMs at all. They do make custom OS changes though, which will cause other tuning software not to be able to connect since it's not the same operating system, but when you flash back to stock that is no longer an issue. I've seen it done many times when people want to try new stuff.

I know that IPF will only work if you have the latest updates, or at least that's what I've heard, but that is not a Trifecta issue.
BNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I was in theCobalt SS LNF world with TF & HPT also. TF tunes, HPT combo layer tunes, HPT tunesyou name it. As long as you have your stock TF file you read before tuning you will be fine. However...

If you do not have the stock file to EZ-Flash back to it can become an issue on some platforms. I doubt it on the Camaro but I know for fact in the early LNF days Vince was using an '09 file on '08's and if you didn't have the stock file you started with from your own ECU, HPTuners would not write entire or cal to the ECU because of an OS / VIN mismatch. Many saw this as a locked tune when it wasn't.

Some less than scrupulous LNF tuners used this OS mismatch method to lock the ECU for others but Not TF or Vince himself.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
BNRacing

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 Camaro 2.0
Yeah I remember you from CSS. That place has gone so downhill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote