Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #3459
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think the Bronco thing came out during the recent round of negotiations between Ford & the UAW. But I don't think Ford has made any public announcement about what its going to be like or when it will be built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Yeah it was in the release of the UAW contract details. Ranger in 2019, Bronco in 2020 and an "upgrade" to the 5.2 Voodoo lines.
Did not know the Ranger was also coming back. That's pretty cool and good to see more midsize trucks
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #3460
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
good to see more midsize trucks
"midsize" is certainly a misnomer these days. My just traded 2003 Tundra is almost identical to the 2016 Tacoma. I do recall the days of small trucks and full size. I had a 1996 T-100 as that was a neat "tweener" truck.

I loved my Tundra, but it's small compared to the new trucks. My buddy just traded his 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 (POS) that he bought new for a sweet 2013 Tundra Rock Crawler. That thing is HUUUUGE inside! The 1500 Chevy/GMC dwarf the trucks of only a few years back.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #3461
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Cadillac ATPs are also higher than the rest of the luxury segment right now.

I expect Cadillac to return to the formula that worked for them in the past. There's a reason ATS and CTS will not have direct replacements.
Wish they would go back and pick up the classic nameplates again... Can you imagine if Chevy had chosen a weird letter designation like LCS instead of Impala?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #3462
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
"midsize" is certainly a misnomer these days. My just traded 2003 Tundra is almost identical to the 2016 Tacoma. I do recall the days of small trucks and full size. I had a 1996 T-100 as that was a neat "tweener" truck.

I loved my Tundra, but it's small compared to the new trucks. My buddy just traded his 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 (POS) that he bought new for a sweet 2013 Tundra Rock Crawler. That thing is HUUUUGE inside! The 1500 Chevy/GMC dwarf the trucks of only a few years back.
That's a good point on the size differences now with trucks compared with trucks made 10-15 years ago, huge difference now. My dad has a 2014 Tundra TRD off-road and it's gigantic. What was surprising to me was his truck was taller than my friends 03 suburban after a total of 5 or 6 inches of lift
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #3463
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
So GM is calling out Ford for using aluminum in the truck bed...

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...silverado.html

GM switching to aluminum for the T1XX truck is probably one of the worst kept secrets in the industry, but this makes me wonder...with GM's expertise at welding steel to aluminum, perhaps at least the bed floor for the T1XX will remain steel?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #3464
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

GM switching to aluminum for the T1XX truck is probably one of the worst kept secrets in the industry, but this makes me wonder...with GM's expertise at welding steel to aluminum, perhaps at least the bed floor for the T1XX will remain steel?
Friend of mine sent that to me this morning, first thing I said to him was kind of ironic because GM is switching to aluminum in a few years
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #3465
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:

I was thinking that also, maybe a situation where the bed floor and the bottom 4-5 inches of the side could be high strength steel where the upper sides would be aluminum, or something.

With how clever GM has gotten in almost all aspects of design..you'd think they have a creative solution in mind to bring both the weight savings of aluminum with the strength of steel.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #3466
FenwickHockey65

Ford actually issued a response:

Quote:
“When you’re the market leader for 39 years, competitors sometimes try to take shots at you with marketing stunts. The fact remains that F-150′s high-strength, military grade, aluminum alloy cargo box offers the best combination of strength, durability, corrosion resistance, capability, safety and fuel efficiency ever offered in a pickup. We have built nearly a million new F-150s, and our lead over the competition continues to grow.”
Honestly it almost sounds like GM struck a nerve.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #3467
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I just want to know if there's been anything new on the ZR2 Colorado...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #3468
FenwickHockey65

Lots of IVERs running around, in extended and crew cab form...
Old 06-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #3469
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Friend of mine sent that to me this morning, first thing I said to him was kind of ironic because GM is switching to aluminum in a few years
From what I heard they were only going to use it in places where strength and durability are not factors, like in the cab and outter panels, the inside of the bed would remain steel. And I have seen people drop stuff like that in from front end loaders. Had it happen to me and it made me cringe...
Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #3470
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Its not irony ... its shortsightedness (if they think that people won't remember this stuff in 3 or 4 years),and/or hypocritical(since they know the advantages of aluminum themselves, but choose to demonize it). But not ironic.

Irony is when the opposite of the intent occurs, such as when an advertising campaign results in fewer sales. Or when a self-contradictory statement is made (such as 'clear as mud'). Or anything sarcastic ( 'Yeah, that truck sure was build Ford tough ...' ) as sarcasm is a specific type of irony.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #3471
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its not irony ... its shortsightedness (if they think that people won't remember this stuff in 3 or 4 years), and/or hypocritical(since they know the advantages of aluminum themselves, but choose to demonize it). But not ironic.

Irony is when the opposite of the intent occurs, such as when an advertising campaign results in fewer sales. Or when a self-contradictory statement is made (such as 'clear as mud'). Or anything sarcastic ( 'Yeah, that truck sure was build Ford tough ...' ) as sarcasm is a specific type of irony.
I don't think it's either of those depending on GM's future execution of aluminum on the T1XX truck. If GM 100% follows Ford in building the bed and cab out of aluminum then they deserve egg on their face. But this makes me believe GM is going to leverage lessons learned from CT6 development/manufacturing and weld aluminum to steel where strength is needed most, like the bed.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #3472
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Ford actually issued a response:

Honestly it almost sounds like GM struck a nerve.
It's interesting that their response focuses on being the truck sales leader but doesn't address the results of the test.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions