Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
paullgj

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
V-6 or V-8 for new stick shift convert.?

I'm strongly considering a manual shift Camaro vert for an impending retirement present to myself. (I'm 69 yrs. old) I'm no speed demon but I insist on a nice tight stick shift - snick, snick snick - good precise shift pattern - use it for cornering, braking, free-way off ramps - everything. So that brings me to my question - which is the better 6 spd for daily driving - the V-6 in the LT or the V-8 in the SS? I'd lean to the V-6 for less weight and cooler operating temps., but don't have much first hand knowledge about Camaros. For most of my life it was stick shift Chevy 4x4 pickups, and now it's a Jeep Wrangler JK auto.

Thanks for your input and comments.
paullgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
glider1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
I'm 63 and bought my car before I retire so I can get it paid off first. Having driven the V6 M6 for over a year, I have found things I don't like about it. 1st gear is like a 4.5:1 ratio compared to 3:1 in the V8 M6. This will cause you to redline easily if you don't pay attention, like I have done numerous times. Also, the V6 has 1 overdrive gear of .84:1 while the V8 has 2 overdrive gears, the lowest being about .5:1. Basically, 1st thru 5th gear ratios in the V8 is the same as 2nd thru 6th in the V6.

Like anything else, you get used to a machines quirks and you deal with them. The V6 is more of a challenge to drive because you don't have the raw power of the V8. You'll be shifting more to avoid bogging down from being in too high a gear.

I like my 1LS, and I'll like it even more with forced induction.
glider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
Dont know about your issues, I have no problem except roll down shifting to take off quick and hitting the correct gear. My advice is get the short through shift the stock is sloppy.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
paullgj

"1st gear is like a 4.5:1 ratio compared to 3:1 in the V8 M6. This will cause you to redline easily if you don't pay attention, like I have done numerous times. Also, the V6 has 1 overdrive gear of .84:1 while the V8 has 2 overdrive gears, the lowest being about .5:1. Basically, 1st thru 5th gear ratios in the V8 is the same as 2nd thru 6th in the V6."

Thanks for your comments. The 4.5:1 first gear in the V-6 sounds very low, almost like a creeper gear in the Silverados I used to drive. How does the the shift pattern in the two compare in terms of being tight and precise?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
glider1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
I can't speak for the V8 guy's, but one thing I did notice is that there are times it feels like the gears aren't lined up when I shift, sort of like driving a non-syncro tranny. The shift doesn't feel smooth. Other times, the shifting is smooth. I feel it is just the way I do things. With the wife in the car, it shifts smooth. Without the wife, well, not so smooth. Btw, she hates my Camaro and loves her Volvo.

I just installed a Hurst shifter back in May. This made a big difference in how it shifts.
Since converting, there are times I miss gears because I forget what gear I'm in, but I contribute that to daydreaming. I grew up driving 4 speed Muncie's. Being old school, I guess I'm having a hard time with this new math counting to 6.

If you get the chance, test drive both. I only test drove the V6 because that was what I intended to buy from the start. I only wanted a car with an engine, manual tranny, and a radio. I regret not test driving the SS.
glider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I believe the Aisin AY6 manual transmission in the V6 was originally designed for the Toyota Tacoma. Of all the manual transmission cars I have driven over the years it is my least favorite transmission and the thing I most dislike about my Camaro.

The TR6060 in the V8 is a descendant of the T56 and has a long history of use in performance cars.

I suggest you drive one to see for yourself. Even better if you can find one that is used with a few thousand miles on it. If you are concerned about shift quality then only you can decide for yourself between the two.

Good luck!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I have had the M6 in my ragtop for a couple of years now and it is kind of sloppy. I even had the dealer look at it, but nothing he could do. I have thought about going to the Hurst, maybe I still will.

1st gear is very steep, I agree. But these engines live on higher RPMs wheras the V8 has the torque.

I am still very happy with my Silver Streak....I'm an old head also, pushing 60 this year.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Rhyno81

Drives: Summit White 2012 2SS RS M6
The V6 Trans isn't the greatest of trannys. It has issues with 2nd. I have personally had a failed clutch due to a seized self adjuster mechanism (Covered under warranty after a 6 week battle)

As far as the gearing goes, I agree that 1st gear is very low and takes some getting used to as far as revving to right range before shifting to second. So that you have a smooth feel to passengers 2nd however is fun for when the go fast pedal is pressed. will get you into the high 60's, low 70s before requiring shift to third for your "On ramps" Lol.

I went to the hurst short throw shifter pretty early on as I did not like how vague the factory shifter felt. Ended up adding stiffer bushings too as the original hurst bushings aren't great.

I will be going to the SS soon as I find the right car. Mostly for the power and sound of the V8 but also because there is a lot more support for the TR6060 trans out there to help with some of the issues it has. The V6 AY6 transmission however has little support as of now.

Basically, the V6 cars are great overall, but not without their faults. BUt they also have less support to fix the annoying issues. The V8 Cars have their issues, but most all of them can be fixed and improved
-TSP 1 7/8" long tubes with high flow cats
-Muffler Delete
-Matte Black Powdercoated 20"SS Wheels (General GMax Tires)
-BMR Strut Brace
-ZL1 Swapped front end

Rhyno81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I just got my 6M, NPP, KTU SS vert in April and love it. Having driven manuals all my life, it seems very easy to drive to me. I've got all the usual boltons and am now putting out 423/419 at the rear wheels. Love the improved power, throttle response and sound. If you don't get the factory short shift (KTU), take a look at C5 sponsor TWM's full kit. I used their shifter in my previous car and it is top notch plus it will open up a whole new world of custom shift knobs, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Tom_T

Drives: 2013 Convertible /2SS/RS/LS3
My first 'vert was a '11 A6, great car and I loved it but I longed for the M6. I guess I longed for the days of my youth. Last 4-speed I had was a '69 Plymouth Roadrunner.
Bought the M6 in May of last year and am enjoying the gears and being part of the driving experience instead of just mashing the gas. I have to think a little more when driving. At the beginning just getting up my driveway into the garage was a challenge.
The only thing I think I miss is the ease of passing with the A6, there all I had to do was push the pedal to floor and I was around him, now I have to decide how fast do I want to pass him, 4th or 5th or 3rd which is good to 110 MPH!
I have the factory Short Shift and have had no problems. At 67 I'm rowing through the gears like I was....................well, 67!
Whichever you decide your will definitely enjoy!
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Here are some details about the V6 manual transmission and a comparison of the gears for manual vs automatic is the V6s and SS. Remember to factor in the axle ratio, which is different for the manual SS.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p...ns+%28LS/LT%29
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #12
paullgj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Here are some details about the V6 manual transmission and a comparison of the gears for manual vs automatic is the V6s and SS. Remember to factor in the axle ratio, which is different for the manual SS.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p...ns+%28LS/LT%29
Very good helpful info. I'm going over those gear ratios. I actually like the low numerical first gear - relics of my truck days, I guess.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullgj View Post
Very good helpful info. I'm going over those gear ratios. I actually like the low numerical first gear - relics of my truck days, I guess.

Thanks for the info.
I thought of something else. The transmission gearing in the SS with 1LE package is different as is the axle gearing. Also, the 2LS model V6s have 2.92 axle gearing.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248150
Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Another point to consider would be gas mileage if it's something you'll think about. You will eat gas around town with an SS. The steep ratios of the V6 models keep the city gas mileage better than it would be (and also compensate for the lack of V8 power, but you know...) The SS will have better aftermarket though, if you're into that.

There are a few issues with the V6 manual transmission, but I personally haven't really seen them. I changed the fluid in my transmission twice (once to flush the old stuff out, drove about 5k miles, and then did it again to stay) and it shifts many times better than it used to. I also tried to get some of the DOT 3 fluid out of the brake / clutch system and fill it up with DOT 4 - just changing the fluid seems to help period. Personally I'm going to look into a twin disc clutch that I've heard positive comments about - mine feels a little sloppy after all my mods.

Good luck!
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote