Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sorry for the newb question...regarding the factory ground effects kit...

Does anyone know if the factory ground effects kit is a direct bolt on OR is it a tape on OR is it both???? I want to take mine off and paint it black to match my car. Right now its gray/darksilver and I want to take the kit off and take it too the painters....is this going to be a pain in the as%@#! Anyone done this??????? Thanks in advance!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
ChevyPartsPlus

Drives: Camaro, Silverado
Depending on which product design you have, they are either a combination of rivets, 3M tape and a couple bolts. If you didn't put it on, there is probably a copy of the installation instructions floating around as a PDF. If not, PM me and I'll scan a copy to PDF when back in the office on Monday.
ChevyPartsPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Hey Brother...thanks for the reply! I didn't put it on BUT I need to take it off and then put it back on after the paint is done sooooo that PDF would be extremely helpful. The factory ground effects kit I have is the one with the metal rectangular exhaust opening (if that helps) on the rear piece.

I will owe ya big time..... and nice website by the way......good pricing!!!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Get yourself a heat gun and a friend, all that stuf should come off easy. Youd just have to get new tape to reapply it later. Link to PDF below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74332
Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
We all started out as noobs...... never apologize for learning. Good luck with your project and post pics of before and after.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
markgoodson

Drives: 2010 2 SS RS
There is a big difference between the LT and SS when it comes to mounting these, the difference is on how the front splitter is mounted. The LT will have four rivets going thru the top bumper fascia combined with double sided sticky tape and each corner has hangers for the sides. Then there is the matter of having several rivets holding the bottom back side one. The SS has a mounting track that it clips onto without any tape.

No matter what one you have, you better take off the front clip to do this, you could really do some damage trying to take it off while the nose clip is still on.
markgoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
it would be a lot easier if you had them painted ON the car. . . the front lip is held on by metal rivets, they will need drilled out. . and the rear bumper is held on by plastic rivets.... and they also need to be drilled out.

the entire front bumper needs to come off along with the rear bumper.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
Does anyone know if the factory ground effects kit is a direct bolt on OR is it a tape on OR is it both???? I want to take mine off and paint it black to match my car. Right now its gray/darksilver and I want to take the kit off and take it too the painters....is this going to be a pain in the as%@#! Anyone done this??????? Thanks in advance!
I think it looks sick, grey. LOL
Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Quote:
it would be a lot easier if you had them painted ON the car. . . the front lip is held on by metal rivets, they will need drilled out. . and the rear bumper is held on by plastic rivets.... and they also need to be drilled out.
I dont think there's any way you could get it painted on the car the right way. A body shop would tell you the same I'm sure. Taking off the GFX would take a lot less time then taping the car the right way just to paint three simple parts.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
not sure about that. . . the sides will pop right off, all you have to do is mask the front and read properly. . . then paint. Would be no different than painting a car that was wrecked.