Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #43
Blackhawk6

Drives: Born:18 Sept 2009 #47903
Swear by RP, Engine, Rear Axle and Transmission. Makes the car alot smoother. And yes RP does meet GM's specs and exceeds it. I have asked the question and they will not void the warranty for using RP or any other oil that meets the specs or better. You guys compare way to much this question has been out there before. If you want to use other oils then use the other brands. All of the oils have faults somewhere you just have to fine them.
2010 Camaro 2SS________________________________________Litho#140

Blackhawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #44
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
I have a 99 Silverado, I've always used Quaker State or Pennzoil, the proper viscosity, API symbol, as recommended by the manufacturer and with a Fram oil filter, I change it when the change oil light comes on as recommended in the owners manual. I took the engine apart two years ago and the main bearings, connecting rod bearings looked great with more than 100,000 miles on them, also this engine had no sludge built up in it. I see no reason to use anything else in my Camaro. Pennzoil or Quaker State Synthetic with the right viscosity, API symbol, and GM specs.

Last edited by CAP'N B; 05-09-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: wrong word usage
CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #45
FastOil

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
Not to mention hes an amsoil dealer. Duh.

and your point is ??

you have to remember that when these test are done they are under ASTM regulations,,, do you know if any company sways their results there will be law suits from both government and competirors up their nose ,, i dont think a reputable company would like to damage themselfs by calling themselfs better in some little testing.

iam a vendor in evolutionm.net, this is a national evo's forum i usto own one,,, and again i am supprised on how well they responded to the AMSOIL engine tranny brakes and diff fluids than this community.

AMSOIL is an all american fluid and owned company and it refuses to take any busines overseas,,, suport you own home based company's
FastOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #46
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Just put Amsoil severe gear 75w-90 in my diff and trans the other day. First time trying their product. Seems to coast much further now with the clutch engaged. We will see if it improves gas mileage.

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #47
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I'll start by saying I'm not a dealer of any engine oil brand.

Royal Purple is good stuff. We have been using it for years with great results. Their marketing department got in a little trouble a couple of years ago when gas prices spiked and they suggested you could improve your gas mileage with RP, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the product works. Amsoil loves throwing the "Royal Purple got in trouble" card without giving any details.

The test in this video is what turned us on to Royal Purple. Before the "they were a paying sponsor" comments begin, I observed similar results on a 2002 Camaro SS.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #48
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
One thing about amsoil is you have to go through a dealer right, you cant just go down to your local parts store and get it. Thats a pain and one reason I will never use it.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #49
FastOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
One thing about amsoil is you have to go through a dealer right, you cant just go down to your local parts store and get it. Thats a pain and one reason I will never use it.

me myself iam an order through internet guy, workl long hours and dont have time to shop, 5min ordere though e-store and UPS takes care of the rest. thats just me
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #50
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOil View Post
it breaks down after your filrst pass on the 1/4 mile, or your hard street pull

do some reading you migh re think.

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/..._vs_AMSOIL.htm

New York, NY – April 1, 2009 The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus has recommended that Royal Purple, Ltd., modify or discontinue certain advertising claims for it’s synthetic motor oil.

i am actually very very suprised by how well this community supports Royal Purple, it amazing i though it was a honda civic thing
That BBB complaint was from another Oil Manufacture, the claims was what was argued about not the Oil. the reason was that they had no 3rd party proof of the claims...

I ran Royal Purple since I bought the car and it had it's first Oil Change (July 2005) 70,000 miles lator and I replaced the Stock Cams with COMP 127200 NSR Cams. Anyway, I did not look at the cams until months lator when I noticed they looked new, confused I asked a friend to loan me his cams from his 2007 Mustang GT with 40,000 miles using Mobil 1 5w20.
Right off the bat I noticed the scaring and coloration. So I decided to Document the findings. Could the Royal Purple Marketing be True?

This Image shows Both Cams with Descriptions.

Image 4 & 5 show No wear from the edge of the Lobe to the center of the lobe on Royal Purple 5w20

Measure the Edge because I need a surface that has not been touched by the follower (Baseline)

Measure the Center and shows no wear

Image 4 & 5 Show wearing on the Cam Lobe from the follower on the Mobil 1 5w20 Oil
sure 100th of a MM is minor but the Royal Purple Cam has almost twice the Milage...

Again Measure the Edge for a baseline

Then the Center and there was some wear.

So I had to make sure my test vehicle was not a fluke so i borrowed another set of cams from a 2006 Mustang GT (image #3)

with 36,000 miles who always used Mobil 1 as well. Again the Cams look simular, (Top cam from 2006, Middle Cam from 2007
and the Bottom Cam from the 2005)

You can make your own conclusions but from this test I would have to say that Royal Purple's Claims about Less friction, less wear is not a gimick...

Amsoil and Royal Purple are very simular in that they are 100% Synthetic (No Mineral Oil Base Stock) like Mobil 1 and they both add ZDDP and additive that cleanes the engine and reduces wear. Royal Purple adds a small amount of a Moly simular to graphite this may be what created the reduced friction.

Here is my Oil Report

I helped a Friend remove his valve covers because we wanted to get them powder coated, He also used RP since the day he bought his GT, 45000 miles later, you can see his Cams

2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold

Last edited by 2K05GT; 05-09-2010 at 04:14 PM.
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #51
FastOil

Do you run race gas, why is your lead so high at 71 PPM, also your iron and your calcium is up there, usually a good rule of thumb is that if one sees metals at double digits one must be looking into internals and why are they wearing.

your report is very well established, however comparing that data with cars at that milleage using the AMSOIL dominator there are many more benefits to be seen,
you can benefit fomr the high content of zinc and phos PPM 1400 +, cross hatch marks from honning still well established at 80K, TBN i actually see high 7s pouring out of the bottle at 14 running the oil well over 10K
i dont like the use of moly in the comercial sold oils, i preffer the real antiwear additives, it is a very well established pattern of moly in off the shelf oils.

BTW good report, but still supprised how well the muscle car community suppports the oil, i was expecting more of a penzoil support
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #52
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
First off- using an oil not on this list, 4718 for the SS and 6094 for the v6, WILL void your warranty. Depending on the repair, GM might require oil change receipts to perform warranty work.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf

Whether they claim they meet the specs or not, neither Amsoil OR Royal Purple are on the list.

Next- If you follow Amsoil's 25k service interval, you WILL void your warranty. Like I said if the repair is costly enough, GM will request oil change receipts, and an interval that extends beyond the parameters of the OLM will void your warranty.

Before anyone says Magnuson-Moss, that only applies to replacement parts that meet OEM specifications, which Amsoil and RP apparently do not.

This post isn't to bash Amsoil or RP, I just want to play devil's advocate so people know the whole story of what they're getting into, and what the Amsoil sales guys on the board aren't going to tell them.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #53
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Thats why I always use dino at posted intervals till warranty is up.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #54
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
First off- using an oil not on this list, 4718 for the SS and 6094 for the v6, WILL void your warranty. Depending on the repair, GM might require oil change receipts to perform warranty work.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf

Whether they claim they meet the specs or not, neither Amsoil OR Royal Purple are on the list.

Next- If you follow Amsoil's 25k service interval, you WILL void your warranty. Like I said if the repair is costly enough, GM will request oil change receipts, and an interval that extends beyond the parameters of the OLM will void your warranty.

Before anyone says Magnuson-Moss, that only applies to replacement parts that meet OEM specifications, which Amsoil and RP apparently do not.

This post isn't to bash Amsoil or RP, I just want to play devil's advocate so people know the whole story of what they're getting into, and what the Amsoil sales guys on the board aren't going to tell them.
...and I will continue to run Amsoil in all my cars without hesitation.

There are some quality oils on the list such as:

Coastal
Pep Boys
Supra Tech

If you wish to run those just because they are "on the list" then more power to you.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #55
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
...and I will continue to run Amsoil in all my cars without hesitation.

There are some quality oils on the list such as:

Coastal
Pep Boys
Supra Tech

If you wish to run those just because they are "on the list" then more power to you.
Right, and in a vehicle that doesn't see near 300 degree oil temps and only requires 6094 specifications, I'd run those oils. You realize what a specification is, right? All of those oils meet temperature requirements, detergent requirements, ect. to last a full oil change interval without breaking down, allowing metal scarring, or failing to suspend carbon, ect.

Spending any more on a higher quality oil than your application calls for is a waste of money.

Amsoil is a good oil. I'd even say a great oil. In fact it's waaay better than most people will ever need. If I had something blown with 600 to the wheels, I'd probably be using it almost exclusively. But someone in that situation wouldn't have to worry about their warranty, it is long gone.

Someone with a stock or even near stock SS would be fine with Mobil. It would take their motor to 300,000 miles easily without any failure that could be pinned on the oil. There wouldn't be any provable power or fuel economy gain of statistical significance from running amsoil.

The difference is, no matter how great amsoil is, even if someone didn't mind wasting their money on it when they didn't need it, using opens them up to a potential situation of having their warranty voided, for absolutely no real gain over cheaper OEM spec. oil.

It would be like throwing forged internals in your brand new LS3, and leaving the stock heads and cam. Overkill? Yes. Void warranty? Absolutely.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #56
FastOil

HUH

most of this makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
Right, and in a vehicle that doesn't see near 300 degree oil temps and only requires 6094 specifications, I'd run those oils. You realize what a specification is, right? All of those oils meet temperature requirements, detergent requirements, ect. to last a full oil change interval without breaking down, allowing metal scarring, or failing to suspend carbon, ect.

Spending any more on a higher quality oil than your application calls for is a waste of money.

Amsoil is a good oil. I'd even say a great oil. In fact it's waaay better than most people will ever need. If I had something blown with 600 to the wheels, I'd probably be using it almost exclusively. But someone in that situation wouldn't have to worry about their warranty, it is long gone.

Someone with a stock or even near stock SS would be fine with Mobil. It would take their motor to 300,000 miles easily without any failure that could be pinned on the oil. There wouldn't be any provable power or fuel economy gain of statistical significance from running amsoil.

The difference is, no matter how great amsoil is, even if someone didn't mind wasting their money on it when they didn't need it, using opens them up to a potential situation of having their warranty voided, for absolutely no real gain over cheaper OEM spec. oil.

It would be like throwing forged internals in your brand new LS3, and leaving the stock heads and cam. Overkill? Yes. Void warranty? Absolutely.