Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Waco
Layla

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, LS3, CGM/IO
Ford gives up on DI?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/the-dl-o...ack-of-di.html
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've said it before....both companies are taking pretty different approaches to the same problems. Neither one is "right". Cool article!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
they use it on their ecoboost engines
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
they use it on their ecoboost engines
I think the article is talking about performance applications.
MuscleCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Ford is uysing DI where it makes sense for them, and for the record Ford does now have a naturally aspirated engine with DI....the new Focus with the 2.0L four will have direct injection.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
That's interesting.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Like any technology, DI is not the be all and end all. Jet engines were all the rage in the 50's, but don't really pan out for non aircraft applications. Hovercraft were supposed to rule the roads by now, but those early 60's Popular Science covers haven't come true yet. Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If a technology only gives marginal gain for excessive price, maybe you should hold off(Unless you are German)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Like any technology, DI is not the be all and end all. Jet engines were all the rage in the 50's, but don't really pan out for non aircraft applications. Hovercraft were supposed to rule the roads by now, but those early 60's Popular Science covers haven't come true yet. Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If a technology only gives marginal gain for excessive price, maybe you should hold off(Unless you are German)
I've said 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should' more than just about anyone on the site. However, DI seems like a no-brainer for any new engine these days. The main downside to DI is one more fuel pump, then a little more programing. Its not something that adds thousands of dollars. And thus far, in every application I've seen it in it increases power, fuel economy, and improves emissions over similar port injected engines. ~15% more power and a couple MPG?

By the way, there are applications for turbine engines beyond aerospace and automotive. They are used as pumps in oil pipelines, as generators, ship engines, and even propel tanks (M1 Abrams). Hovercraft are still very limited in use, though most also use jet turbines.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote