Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
Roasstum1
EbonyCamaro

Drives: Black SS 14
Dash cam

Has anyone tried a dash cam? I'm going to try one.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  103.8 KB
Roasstum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Been running one in my truck and car for over 2 yrs daily now

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
MoCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro
Been running one for 3 years now since a driver blew through a light and switched his story when insurance got involved. I run the G1W/G1W-C in 3 different cars.
MoCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamaro10 View Post
Been running one for 3 years now since a driver blew through a light and switched his story when insurance got involved. I run the G1W/G1W-C in 3 different cars.
did he get away with it? I would be smoking pissed.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
MoCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro
They tried to compromise and say we both were to blame. I wasn't going along with that .Thankfully they listened to me and contacted the officer who was at the scene. He explained that the other guy clearly stated he was at fault when it happened. I started handing dash cams out anytime I am getting gifts for friends/family. To hell with folks who don't give 2 s**** about your well being. let alone your property. Cover your ass is the lesson
MoCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:32 AM   #6
toddux

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Coupe
I have been running a BlackVue 550 in my TrailblazerSS for 3 years.

I upgraded to the BlackVue650 for my Camaro.

it is a 2-camera (front and back) view with GPS location and 3 axis accelerometers. The best feature is the WiFi connection to a smartphone app as your "screen". This allows the units to almost invisible. The large front unit is concealed by the rear view mirror and the rear camera is much smaller and tucks partially above the headliner.

This setup will clearly catch the teen driver texting when they rear end you. (true story - saved my butt after she claimed I turned in front of her and my claim was denied) My insurance company was very pleased when I provided proof of her running a red light while texting. My "saved" deductible alone paid for the camera.
toddux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #7
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddux View Post

it is a 2-camera (front and back) view with GPS location and 3 axis accelerometers. The best feature is the WiFi connection to a smartphone app as your "screen". This allows the units to almost invisible. The large front unit is concealed by the rear view mirror and the rear camera is much smaller and tucks partially above the headliner.

This setup will clearly catch the teen driver texting when they rear end you. (true story - saved my butt after she claimed I turned in front of her and my claim was denied) My insurance company was very pleased when I provided proof of her running a red light while texting. My "saved" deductible alone paid for the camera.
Are you able to record to an external harddrive or save to phone? I'm worried people would see it and just take the memory card out thus taking whatever evidence you have with them.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Are you able to record to an external harddrive or save to phone? I'm worried people would see it and just take the memory card out thus taking whatever evidence you have with them.
Not to phone "automatically". The app lets you "copy" to phone over wifi so you don't have to remove the SD card.

It does also support the "cloud" technology with a sustained wifi connection for live remote viewing and recording. I however don't have deep enough pockets to provide my car with that kind of sustained bandwidth. :-(

But, you are right. It would be an easy take for break-in. (has quick release clips! lol)
Old 03-08-2016, 02:59 AM   #9
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Not to phone "automatically". The app lets you "copy" to phone over wifi so you don't have to remove the SD card.

It does also support the "cloud" technology with a sustained wifi connection for live remote viewing and recording. I however don't have deep enough pockets to provide my car with that kind of sustained bandwidth. :-(

But, you are right. It would be an easy take for break-in. (has quick release clips! lol)
Cloud tech would be useful in the Gen6 as OnStar now provides a hot spot if you have a certain level plan with them. Can you connect the cam to a HDD to record to in the car or no?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Go Pro Hero 3+
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
toddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Cloud tech would be useful in the Gen6 as OnStar now provides a hot spot if you have a certain level plan with them. Can you connect the cam to a HDD to record to in the car or no?
Don't think so. no ports at all. just power and SD card slot. The wifi connects to their App, so you would likely need hack into that.

A while back I did see a "black box" system that mounted under the dash and recorded up to 4 cameras. I can't seem to find it again. It was European I think?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #12
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I run one, I use the Mini 0806 with GPS

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

I also run the same setup with the 2 channel setup. The phone app is very handy, I like that I can change settings on the go. I also paired it with a power magic pro so the camera can keep recording when parked and the car is off. I like how low profile mounting it behind the mirror is, completely out of my field of view and not easy to spot from the exterior thanks to my dark interior. Automatic deletion of old feats is a must for me, GoPro requires too much manual control, no autonomy whatsoever. I want a dashcam that I can install and forget about it until I need what's been recorded. A 64 gbb microSD is more than enough for this camera, I can watch recordings from when the car was parked last night as it continues to record what's happening. This camera is as autonomous as I could find, if you just want to film yourself driving a GoPro or action cam is probably what you should be looking at. A dash cam is meant to be an insurance policy and security device, so don't expect to get back top notch video from these. Kinda pricy but worth it in my opinion. I plan to install the same setup in my other cars eventually.
Attached Images

Last edited by Powhusku; 03-08-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Powhusku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #14
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Been running one for almost a year as well. Mine is similar to the 0806 but has no screen which makes it nice and small. I have the video running to the MyLink, I can watch it live or I can watch the recordings on the MyLink. (I thought I would like having it on live but it makes me sick glancing down at it lol)
The nice part is when I pull up too close to a red light and can't see it I can just pop the video on the MyLink and watch the light change there.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote