Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
jydenwr

Drives: 2012 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 (BLACK)
COURT PROCEDURE

What's the best way to initiate court procedures against GM for trying to back out of honoring their warranty?

I took my car to the dealer after it was dyno'd at 422whp baseline on a mustang dyno. They later found out that the supercharger intercooler pump was not coming on. My car has been sitting at the dealer for almost 2 weeks because the pump was on national back order. Now the dealer received the pump, and they're telling me that GM is now requesting calibration info on the car before they can replace the faulty pump.

This pump has been revised at least 3 times already by General Motors so obviously they found that there has been a problem with this pump.

The calibration request should have been done when the car first got there not after almost 2 weeks of waiting.

It's urgent.
jydenwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
So how are they denying your warrenty? A calibration verification takes just a few hours, no big deal, unless your not stock.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
So how are they denying your warrenty? A calibration verification takes just a few hours, no big deal, unless your not stock.
Even if he isn't stock, how could his mods cause a faulty pump?
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Is there anything in the warranty about researching into each vehicle w/ a warranty claim to find information about why the part failed? For maybe, R&D of product improvement? Sadly, I haven't read through it...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
jydenwr

I'm not stock. The dealer knew it wasn't stock when I took it there. They said there was no problem. The dealer took reception of my car since March 13th, and as far as I'm concerned they got the OK to go with it. On March 22nd, the part has finally arrived, and they're telling me this bullshit.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
you say "trying" to back out..

Verification of the Vehicles Calibration File is standard procedure, and it is very well documented in your warranty paperwork that if you have tuned the vehicle (modified the calibration file) your warranty will be voided.

If you don't have a tune in the vehicle you have nothing to worry about.

If you have a problem with the time it is taking to fix the vehicle, then find out what your states lemon laws are, in CA it is 30 in possession of the dealer without resolution.

After the lemon law time frame has passed, then seek out a lemon law attorney and file.

Otherwise, you are stuck until the dealer repairs the vehicle, dealer has no control over back ordered parts, and to a point neither does GM seeing as those parts aren't made by GM but sourced from third party vendors that build them to GM's requirements.

2 weeks is nothing IMO, having had a Ford that was in dealer possession for 8 months due to a cracked block caused by a known and later recalled internal failure, and a Chrysler that was in dealer possession for 16 weeks for a blown torque converter.

Since both Ford and GM provided me with rental cars for the length of time they had my vehicle made no difference to me..

Now if the dealer isn't providing you with a rental car free of charge, yeah I'd say you have a right to be tweaked, but if they are let them fix the car correctly regardless of how long (to a point) it takes. Why rush them and have to go back because they frucked it up.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
So has the dealer given GM the calibration info? Did GM deny the warranty claim afterwords already or are you just anticipating they will.

Since your car has already been modded, You must have known up front that modding the engine would very likely void the powertrain warranty.

Are there legal questions as to being able to prove that any mods you have had done may have contributed to the failure? Some say yes, some say know. That would be for the lawyers to decide.

If you decide to take legal action, even though you 'might' be in the right, you'd be facing a lonng uphilll battle, be without the car for who knows how long, and may get stuck with the lega fees.

Is the battle worth it just on principle? Only you can decide that.

What would be your cost to replace the pump and be on your way?

As long as the cost wasn't astronomical, If it were me, I'd just pay the cost to get'r done and chalk it up to the mods and get the car back on the street.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
jydenwr

No the dealer wants me to pay. They're already offering me the option to pay $638.03 to replace the pump. My car has already been tuned. Well it is half way tuned! Well I have proof that the car was dyno'd at baseline only 422RWHP.

Last edited by jydenwr; 03-25-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Just buy an aftermarket pump. The stock pump is crap anyway
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Even if he isn't stock, how could his mods cause a faulty pump?
I completely agree with you. However, GM now has or will have all they need to deny this warranty claim and all further claims involving his power train. Most likely, it will take legal action to get this resolved. OP should just bite the bullet as the financial outlay will probably far outweigh the benefit to resolve this.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jydenwr View Post
No the dealer wants me to pay. They're already offering me the option to pay $638.03 to replace the pump. My car has already been tuned. Well it is half way tuned! Well I have proof that the car was dyno'd at baseline only 422RWHP that's less than stock unless Fuel Injections Specialties is lying to me.

I've never had problems with my car before taking it to Fuel Injections. My car never overheats on me and only 8000 miles. I took it to Fuel Injections Specialties to add the LPE 650 HP and KOOKS Headers with CATS on Thursday, so I went back Saturday to pick it up. Now everything is wrong.
You do realize the 426 HP advertised rating is crank HP and not RWHP like you posted. I guarantee a Stock SS has less than your 422 RWHP. Your tune is working.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You do realize the 426 HP advertised rating is crank HP and not RWHP like you posted. I guarantee a Stock SS does not have 422 RWHP. Your tune is working.
But you have to realize he has a ZL1...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
jydenwr

Thanks LoneStarCamaro
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
But you have to realize he has a ZL1...
Oops I missed that, never mind