Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
el Wulf

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Detroit Speed Subframe Bushings

Has anyone installed or used Detroit Speed solid bushing before & if so, how well do they perform? I like the idea that they're hardcoated instead of being just anodized...much prefer protection from the possibility of corrosion then looking pretty.
el Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Anodizing is a "hard coating." I have no experience, but have also looked into their subframe bushings. I would use anti seize on the parts and wash the car regularly if worried about corrosion. Different metals like to corrode when touching each other.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
el Wulf

it
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
Anodizing is a "hard coating." I have no experience, but have also looked into their subframe bushings. I would use anti seize on the parts and wash the car regularly if worried about corrosion. Different metals like to corrode when touching each other.
Much appreciated! I honestly didn't think about it..but you're right, it does add a thin layer of protection....I remember anodizing aluminum parts when I was teenager with a battery charger, sulfuric acid, & Rye clothing dye. I just don't know if it is enough not to wear off with the operational stress that bushing are being subjected to. Whenever two dissimular bare metals touch, one of them will always corrode (whether they're cleaned regularly or not) through a chemical process known as "oxidation" & the inherent fact that metal always tries to convert back to its natural state. That's why engineers & manufacturers use hardware which has "anode" properties & the product itself has "cathode" properties, because it's less expensive to replace a rusted nut or bolt than the frame itself.

Last edited by el Wulf; 02-17-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Your only other option is delrin, even firmer poly allows flex in this application. All of the aluminum ones are the same basic thing so just find the cheapest ones and cover with anti-seize. Many cars have aluminum frame components bonded to steel as part of their weight cutting from roughly 10 years back as a common occurrence today.

These bushings should never move in the cradle application so there shouldn't be wear to the protective coatings unless you damage something putting them in.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #5
el Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Your only other option is delrin, even firmer poly allows flex in this application. All of the aluminum ones are the same basic thing so just find the cheapest ones and cover with anti-seize. Many cars have aluminum frame components bonded to steel as part of their weight cutting from roughly 10 years back as a common occurrence today.

These bushings should never move in the cradle application so there shouldn't be wear to the protective coatings unless you damage something putting them in.
Much appreciated...unfortunately Google spat out wrong info. I typed in "2011 Camaro solid subframe bushings" & it spit out solid body mounts for a '69 Camaro...why? I can only venture to guess. You're right, the new frames consist of both materials being bonded & will not corrode as long as both metals are encapsulated in the protective coating...it's only when exposed to air that oxidation will occur.

Last edited by el Wulf; 02-17-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Dse erm to be the best out there. I had the subframe inserts for awhile and they noticeably reduced sideways movement in autocross. Now I run full poly bushings and they lock the rear down well. I noticed no discernible rear movement .
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
el Wulf

I should of known it was too good to be true when the price for the set of 4 DSE solid mounts along with 2 solid radiator core mounts for $150~lol. Crazy though that you can get 6 solid body mounts for $150, but 4 solid subframe mounts are $750. The local JC has courses in CNC fabrication as well as a great computer lab. Might just have to take a 3D scan of a solid subframe bushing, load it into the program, & CNC my own set & get a "A" in class for it at the same time...I already know how to anodize~lol. Maybe, even make a couple extra sets as Christmas gifts!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #8
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
I have Pegasus aluminum rear subframe bushings and they have been fine. They are 2 pieces though. I didn’t find it about Detroit speeds’ one until after I installed them or else I would have. The car is way more stiff in the rear and more vibrations, but I don’t mind. Haha
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I came a cross a crazy deal on a old set of PFADTs and I didn't notice any increased noise or vibration.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
I run pegasus ... easy to install, car is planted, price is great... DSE requires u to remove
The rear end (90% sure), pegasus u can use blow torch and jack method...
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
A solid mount is pretty much a solid mount made from delrin or aluminum. Pegasus are not press in. DSE are press in. Then there is the almost ready for production JPSS...

Name:  20180203_170038.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  193.3 KB
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Can you give us a ball park price, Pete? I'm thinking about going with the Pegasus.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
JusticePete

Soon... between Pegasus and DSE. While all subframe bushings for the 5th Gen are very similar, our uppers are unique spreading the load in a

. .

Now who deleted the details???
Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #14
JusticePete

Hmmm...
Attached Images