Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #15
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
What cooling rads are not on the SS?
I don't believe he's talking about coolant rads. I believe he may be speaking of the trans cooler, and the diff cooler that the 1LE Camaros have.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
Mrzelfdestruct

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
there is much more involved than just that 1le spec kit. there is a whole slew of parts that don't come with that kit.

me (as well as others), have come up with parts lists to help bridge the gap between that kit and the actual part differences on the suspensions.

however, one thing to keep in mind, that kit comes with a mrc reprogram, and that's the only way to get it. if you buy the parts separate, it is several hundred $'s cheaper, but you can't get the reprogram.
What other parts are involved in the suspension? I know there is more in the 1LE package, but as far as going from FE3 to FE4, whats missing for
GM’s kit?
Mrzelfdestruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #17
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
I don't believe he's talking about coolant rads. I believe he may be speaking of the trans cooler, and the diff cooler that the 1LE Camaros have.
Cooling rads, not coolant rads. ( heat exchangers) And yes I know what is on the car...I was just quizzing the poster that stated the SS didn’t have the exact same cooling system for everything you mentioned.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
anyway...the 1LE is WAY cooler
The SS especially the 2SS is just as cool! It has the exact same cooling system!!
Old 07-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #19
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzelfdestruct View Post
What other parts are involved in the suspension? I know there is more in the 1LE package, but as far as going from FE3 to FE4, whats missing for
GM’s kit?
Enough parts to make a spreadsheet for. I have an extensive sheet set up for everything except the rear cradle. If you want it I can email it.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #20
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
The ss has this as well.

I'm telling you. All ss's have the same cooling regardless of ss, 2ss, or 1le
Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #21
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
The ss has this as well.

I'm telling you. All ss's have the same cooling regardless of ss, 2ss, or 1le
Right on!

This is a classic thread, all the unknowing people coming out thinking the 1LE has more cooling than a regular SS and how superior the 1LE is. Same cooling systems and actually the SS has better brake cooling than the 1LE because it comes with the track deflectors that the 1LE guys are buying extra. (Don't think i don't know about the 6 pistons either...)

I've said it before 80-90% of the improvement of the 1LE comes from the wheels and tires. OP Learn how to drive your SS and buy the wheels and tires, you will get way more improvement than buying the 1LE suspension kit.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Right on!

This is a classic thread, all the unknowing people coming out thinking the 1LE has more cooling than a regular SS and how superior the 1LE is. Same cooling systems and actually the SS has better brake cooling than the 1LE because it comes with the track deflectors that the 1LE guys are buying extra. (Don't think i don't know about the 6 pistons either...)

I've said it before 80-90% of the improvement of the 1LE comes from the wheels and tires. OP Learn how to drive your SS and buy the wheels and tires, you will get way more improvement than buying the 1LE suspension kit.
There's a lot more to a 1LE that differentiates it from an SS. From a handling and track performance perspective, it just is superior, it's not subjective, just fact. That's why they made it that way. If it wasn't, nobody would buy them.

I don't mind that the ZL1 is superior to the 1LE, it just is, doesn't hurt my ego, I still love my 1LE (but yes, I'd buy a ZL1 over a 1LE next time).
Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #23
crosive

Quote:
There's a lot more to a 1LE that differentiates it from an SS. From a handling and track performance perspective, it just is superior, it's not subjective, just fact. That's why they made it that way. If it wasn't, nobody would buy them.

I don't mind that the ZL1 is superior to the 1LE, it just is, doesn't hurt my ego, I still love my 1LE (but yes, I'd buy a ZL1 over a 1LE next time).
unless you are specifically talking about a 2ss 1le, there are several things that are included in a 2ss that the 1le doesn't get, and would make people choose it instead (I'm one of them). there are also several things that are forced upon you that you may not want, which, once again, I don't want.

as far as handling, of course it's a no brainer which is better. But for a few dollars, you can make your non 1le handle pretty close to a 1le.

even just switching the tires to a 1le setup, you can get exponentially better cornering, without spending the same amount as the 1le package costs.

Better? sure, in some ways, but far from *all*
Old 07-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #24
DenverTaco07

Quote:
unless you are specifically talking about a 2ss 1le, there are several things that are included in a 2ss that the 1le doesn't get, and would make people choose it instead (I'm one of them). there are also several things that are forced upon you that you may not want, which, once again, I don't want.

as far as handling, of course it's a no brainer which is better. But for a few dollars, you can make your non 1le handle pretty close to a 1le.

even just switching the tires to a 1le setup, you can get exponentially better cornering, without spending the same amount as the 1le package costs.

Better? sure, in some ways, but far from *all*
Of course, my friend, there are other things that are preferences for each person, that's why I said from and handling and track performance perspective, the 1LE is simply superior. The things the 1SS 1LE lacked from a 2SS (Dual climate control, nifty lighting, heated and cooled seats what else? surely nothing related to performance capabilities) is probably the reason why GM came out with a 2SS 1LE.

You might be right that simply throwing on a set of rubber and "a few dollars" (whatever that means) makes it just as capable, but I highly doubt it, it's your opinion and I have my own.

What you don't get in an SS without throwing "a few dollars":

eLSD (you can't just throw some rubber on to match what this does for the car)
FE4 suspension bits and MRC calibration
wider tires
bigger brakes
better wheels (i guess that's subjective, but the 1LE wheels are hot)
Bolstered Recaro Alcantara seats
short throw shifter
PDR (optional) Can you get PDR on an non-1LE, IDK?
ZL1 Low pressure fuel pump

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, but the comment about 1LE owners coming in here (this thread) and thinking their car is all superior but really it's not because they have the same cooling... the 1LE has a lot that differentiates from an SS, whether or not those things are important to the buyer is a perfectly good question and why one buyer might not care over another.

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 07-17-2019 at 12:21 PM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #25
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Yeah. no pissing contest needed.

There's a thread here somewhere that showed where the Camaro team went out and tested a 1LE vs an SS vs an SS w/ 1LE tires and wheels.
The gap between the 1LE and SS in terms of lap time was reduced by like 80% just by putting the 1LE tires and wheels on the SS.

So yes, the 1LE is great, and yes the SS is very similar, but the tires and wheels of the SS are the greatest contributing factor to its performance gains relative to the SS.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #26
crosive

Quote:
Of course, my friend, there are other things that are preferences for each person, that's why I said from and handling and track performance perspective, the 1LE is simply superior. The things the 1SS 1LE lacked from a 2SS is probably the reason why GM came out with a 2SS 1LE.

You might be right that simply throwing on a set of rubber and "a few dollars" (whatever that means) makes it just as capable, but I highly doubt it, it's your opinion and I have my own.

What you don't get in an SS without throwing "a few dollars":

eLSD (you can't just throw some rubber on to match what this does for the car)
wider tires
bigger brakes
better wheels (i guess that's subjective, but the 1LE wheels are hot)
Bolstered Recaro Alcantara seats
short throw shifter
PDR (optional) Can you get PDR on an non-1LE, IDK?
ZL1 Low pressure fuel pump

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, but the comment about 1LE owners coming in here (this thread) and thinking their car is all superior but really it's not because they have the same cooling... the 1LE has a lot that differentiates from an SS.

I'm not trying to argue, and I don't want anyone to think I have any animosity towards anyone or you. I agree with what you said as far as the superiority complex.

what I meant by "a few dollars" is, in my eyes, I can pay for the options that the 1le comes with, that are important to me, without having to shell out as much as the 1le option, which was, what, 7k?

I can get the entire suspension setup (sans the e-diff), tires and rims, pretty much everything that makes the 1le handle like it does, for *way* less than the whole 1le package. now obviously I've omitted certain things, like alcantara (not a fan of it anyways), and the partial zl1 fuel system, but tit for tat, unless you mod, that doesn't matter anyways. Gm themselves even tested a non-1le with nothing other than the 1le tires and rims and got, if I'm right, somewhere around 80% of the handling capability of an actual 1le.

now the 1le is a very track capable car, I don't think anyone would argue with that, but if you're just *stuck* with a base model 1ss, it's still nothing to shake a stick at, and you should feel far from inferior because of it.

my point of chiming in here is that you can spend less than 2 grand on your 1ss and get real close to embarrassing someone with a true 1le, if they are nothing but mouth. obviously, at the end of the day, the driver mod is what determines most.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #27
DenverTaco07

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue, and I don't want anyone to think I have any animosity towards anyone or you. I agree with what you said as far as the superiority complex.

what I meant by "a few dollars" is, in my eyes, I can pay for the options that the 1le comes with, that are important to me, without having to shell out as much as the 1le option, which was, what, 7k?

I can get the entire suspension setup (sans the e-diff), tires and rims, pretty much everything that makes the 1le handle like it does, for *way* less than the whole 1le package. now obviously I've omitted certain things, like alcantara (not a fan of it anyways), and the partial zl1 fuel system, but tit for tat, unless you mod, that doesn't matter anyways. Gm themselves even tested a non-1le with nothing other than the 1le tires and rims and got, if I'm right, somewhere around 80% of the handling capability of an actual 1le.

now the 1le is a very track capable car, I don't think anyone would argue with that, but if you're just *stuck* with a base model 1ss, it's still nothing to shake a stick at, and you should feel far from inferior because of it.

my point of chiming in here is that you can spend less than 2 grand on your 1ss and get real close to embarrassing someone with a true 1le, if they are nothing but mouth. obviously, at the end of the day, the driver mod is what determines most.

oh and BTW, many 1SS 1LE owners modding to things the 2SS has as well, like ventilated seats (I paid $120 bucks to vent both seats), Lighted Door Sills (i don't know what i paid, couple hundred maybe). so both can be modded and folks are doing it for the same reasons, to get those things they want on the car.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #28
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:

I'm sorry did you say it's mostly the tires?????????
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote