Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
cptslow

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
High Fuel Pressure

Hi all. Questions about cruzing/idle fuel pressure.

I upgraded to the zl1 pump and ADM controller at the time I supercharged the car. I let my tuner know about these upgrades and gave him the fpcm data from ADM. I've had drivability problems intermittently, and it seems to be caused by high fuel pressure at cruise and idle. It is always at 65 and will sometimes creep up to 70 when coasting to a stop. It usually floods and dies then.

Tuner doesn't know why the pressure is so high and he has not gotten any response from his contact at HP tuners. Any idea what we've missed in the tune? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!
cptslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
That combination is being used and has been used by hundreds if not thousands of tuners. What size injectors are u running? What supercharger kit did you install? Sounds like you may want to find another tuner, this sounds like a tune issue or lack of experience by the tuner. Opinion is without knowing everything you are running..

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
cptslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
That combination is being used and has been used by hundreds if not thousands of tuners. What size injectors are u running? What supercharger kit did you install? Sounds like you may want to find another tuner, this sounds like a tune issue or lack of experience by the tuner. Opinion is without knowing everything you are running..
Eforce, 1050x, 2.75" pulley, alky, lsx376-b15. There are a lot of changes in the tune to accommodate this setup. His tuning is solid - this is the 5th car I've had him do, but I'm sure we've just missed something (hopefully simple).
Old 05-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Your setup is similar To mine other than the fact I run a smaller pulley and FIC 1000 Injectors. What injectors are you running?

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
cptslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
What injectors are you running?
ID1050x
Old 05-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
cptslow

No suggestions from anyone? I was hoping this was something one of you had seen before...
Old 05-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
A 5psi gain in pressure will NOT cause your car to stall from being too rich. I've had vehicles running 10psi over and under factory spec without tuning without stalling issues.

If you want to find out why your pressure is unstable I would check your fuel pressure regulator. A restricted return line also has potential to increase fuel pressure.

My guess is atleast one of the tuning parameters is incorrect. It happens to everyone at some point.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #8
cptslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
A 5psi gain in pressure will NOT cause your car to stall from being too rich.
I agree, but since cruising pressure should be 48-50 psi, I'm actually 15-20 over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
If you want to find out why your pressure is unstable I would check your fuel pressure regulator. A restricted return line also has potential to increase fuel pressure.
It's a factory zl1 pump that is returnless. No regulator or return line. The variable pump is commanded by the ECM. Pressure is read in the line just past the tank.

I agree that it is just a tuning parameter that's been missed. That's why I'm reaching out for suggestions of where in the tune we've missed something.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptslow View Post
I agree, but since cruising pressure should be 48-50 psi, I'm actually 15-20 over.

It's a factory zl1 pump that is returnless. No regulator or return line. The variable pump is commanded by the ECM. Pressure is read in the line just past the tank.

I agree that it is just a tuning parameter that's been missed. That's why I'm reaching out for suggestions of where in the tune we've missed something.
There is a control module for the fuel pump that Ted Jannety sells when putting in a ZL1 fuel pump. It is pre-programmed for this pump Maybe this is what is causing your high fuel pressure readings. Hope this helps
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
cptslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
There is a control module for the fuel pump that Ted Jannety sells when putting in a ZL1 fuel pump. It is pre-programmed for this pump Maybe this is what is causing your high fuel pressure readings. Hope this helps
I'm using the zl1 fpcm from ADM. It came pre programmed.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

I upgraded to the zl1 pump and ADM controller at the time I supercharged the car. I let my tuner know about these upgrades and gave him the fpcm data from ADM. I've had drivability problems intermittently, and it seems to be caused by high fuel pressure at cruise and idle. It is always at 65 and will sometimes creep up to 70 when coasting to a stop. It usually floods and dies then.

Tuner doesn't know why the pressure is so high and he has not gotten any response from his contact at HP tuners. Any idea what we've missed in the tune? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!
The fuel pressure you are reporting is normal.

I suspect the problem is in the injector data entered in the tune.

If the injector data is not correct the computer does not know what pulse width to run when the pressure changes.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:

Cheers!
You'll need to data log the problem and bring it to your tuner. I'm guessing something is causing your fuel trims to spike and dump fuel.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
cptslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The fuel pressure you are reporting is normal.

I suspect the problem is in the injector data entered in the tune.

If the injector data is not correct the computer does not know what pulse width to run when the pressure changes.

Ted.
Ok. Thanks Ted. I never logged stuff before all of these upgrades, so I figured I was running too high. I'm old school enough that I expected idle/cruise to be around 48# and then the boost reference would push the pressure up to 65#.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #14
cptslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
You'll need to data log the problem and bring it to your tuner. I'm guessing something is causing your fuel trims to spike and dump fuel.
Thanks juiced. I'll keep working with my tuner and logging the problems. It is only intermittent and seems to be related to DFCO. We see fuel get cut for the first bit when coasting to a stop, and then it quits when the pressure spikes to 70# and runs rich as a pig.

Anything I'm missing in my DFCO settings?

The upgrade to ID1050x is recent too, but we double checked that data to be sure it's not off...