Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #197
bryan2634

Drives: pearl white zl1 with a blue stripe
guys buy the led strips off of ebay they are like $5-$15 for a whole roll of leds. red orange any color just ordered mine
bryan2634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #198
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan2634 View Post
guys buy the led strips off of ebay they are like $5-$15 for a whole roll of leds. red orange any color just ordered mine
Its more expensive to have them LED's closer together, i.e. more leds per foot. Also, better quality is more expensive.

Not saying you are wrong, but id rather pay for something nice and never have to deal with opening the side markers again
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #199
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
So I just went and priced what it would cost, since I was looking at just buying the showstopper ones.

Showstopper = $250 (350-100 core charge)

DIY:
LEDs = $132
Paint/Clear/Promoter/Primer = $45 (from automotivetouchup.com)
Misc Materials (tape,sandpaper) = $10
Connectors = $12
TOTAL: $199

Essentially saving $50 if you go my route. If you car is a normal color, you may be able to get away with normal paint, black white or yellow, etc may be easier to come by. Crystal red is not. The clear and primer may be cheaper at autozone. But everything else would stay the same.
You may be able to save 75$ if you can find cheaper paint!

Personally, 50$ is kinda of my breaking point. If i am only saving 50$, and I can save myself the hassle of baking, cutting, splicing, sanding, masking off, painting multiple coats, With the very real possibility that I will mess something up and have to start over, I may just pay a professional 50$ to do it.

Showstopper really is a good deal when you think about it
My thoughts exactly...which is why I ordered a set from Peter@Showstopper!!!
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #200
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
So I just went and priced what it would cost, since I was looking at just buying the showstopper ones.

Showstopper = $250 (350-100 core charge)

DIY:
LEDs = $132
Paint/Clear/Promoter/Primer = $45 (from automotivetouchup.com)
Misc Materials (tape,sandpaper) = $10
Connectors = $12
TOTAL: $199

Essentially saving $50 if you go my route. If you car is a normal color, you may be able to get away with normal paint, black white or yellow, etc may be easier to come by. Crystal red is not. The clear and primer may be cheaper at autozone. But everything else would stay the same.
You may be able to save 75$ if you can find cheaper paint!

Personally, 50$ is kinda of my breaking point. If i am only saving 50$, and I can save myself the hassle of baking, cutting, splicing, sanding, masking off, painting multiple coats, With the very real possibility that I will mess something up and have to start over, I may just pay a professional 50$ to do it.

Showstopper really is a good deal when you think about it
Shoot me a pm I could help you out. Maybe willing to work with you on pricing.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #201
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepton View Post
My thoughts exactly...which is why I ordered a set from Peter@Showstopper!!!
I rather do it myself. I take pride in that.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #202
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I rather do it myself. I take pride in that.
First, thank you Mach for the great DIY! I hope to do this one myself in the future, funding permitted. Accomplishing something yourself that you love on something you love more is a great feeling! As many of us DIYers know, it's almost an addiction, lol.
Second, I don't think you need to defend yourself at all! These DIY's are an amazing part of these forums and a huge reason I'm hooked on Camaro5.com.
I feel MOD's should cull posts that distract from the DIY in DIY threads. Outside of problems incurred during the DIY from those of us that may need help, or find other sources (cheaper) for the parts, or to provide input that may help others, or to show off their work, I see no reason to post in the thread. I see zero reason for someone to post how "good" or "great" another product is that they purchased. I think it just distracts from the true meaning of DIY and the thread!

Keep up the great work Mach! Most of us appreciate it!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #203
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleez View Post
just crunched the numbers; i assumed it would be much cheaper than the plug and play versions available, but not really.

142.58 shipped for the leds
15.96 shipped for the 194 sockets
60.00 shipped for used sidemarkers (want to be able to return to factory, would be able to do that if i bought plug and play ones as well.)
plus paint and primer. have to assume 25.00???

so 243.54 total plus the satisfaction of doing it myself versus 280.00 shipped for a vendors product. so, all in all not saving anything really. but you may see benefits to this DIY as mentioned earlier; the thinner slit, retaining reflector, personal satisfaction, etc.

hmmmmm, not sure where i stand on this, leaning toward DIY, since i do enjoy working on my own car as much as possible.
I got my LEDs for 45 bucks... all four strips - http://www.oznium.com/thin-led-tube

Last edited by SeriouslySinning; 06-17-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Add link
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #204
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Similar LED's, but, not the same.

Also, I love DIY's, but, I know that I can't paint as well as Showstopper does.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #205
SeriouslySinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Similar LED's, but, not the same.

Also, I love DIY's, but, I know that I can't paint as well as Showstopper does.
That is why I bought an extra set so I can try and not ruin my current lenses.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #206
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
If anyone is interested I have a set of black ghosted side markers. My wife got them for me for my birthday and I ended up trading my SS for a 2013 Z06.. Make me a offer.. Brand new still in box...
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #207
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
First, thank you Mach for the great DIY! I hope to do this one myself in the future, funding permitted. Accomplishing something yourself that you love on something you love more is a great feeling! As many of us DIYers know, it's almost an addiction, lol.
Second, I don't think you need to defend yourself at all! These DIY's are an amazing part of these forums and a huge reason I'm hooked on Camaro5.com.
I feel MOD's should cull posts that distract from the DIY in DIY threads. Outside of problems incurred during the DIY from those of us that may need help, or find other sources (cheaper) for the parts, or to provide input that may help others, or to show off their work, I see no reason to post in the thread. I see zero reason for someone to post how "good" or "great" another product is that they purchased. I think it just distracts from the true meaning of DIY and the thread!

Keep up the great work Mach! Most of us appreciate it!
Thanks! I agree with you. If someone can buy something already made cheaper.. more power to you. But that doesn't matter this is a DIY thread. I am just happy this thread was useful to someone.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #208
SeriouslySinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySinning View Post
I got my LEDs for 45 bucks... all four strips - http://www.oznium.com/thin-led-tube
I would pay the extra for the radiantz if you are not strapped for cash. Because of a few reasons.

Removing the Oznium LEDs from the tube is hard without ripping wires off. I had to solder 3 or 4 wires back on the LEDs myself. The gauge of the wire is very small and frail so it is difficult.

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #209
SeriouslySinning

Also OP you may want to put this in Post #1... The trunk bulb is the same size as the ones used for sidemarkers so instead of waiting until you are installing to test you can plug them into the trunk light! works great

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #210
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I was going through the DIYs just to look up some new stuff when I came across this thread from a while back to see if I had posted pictures in it from my DIY sidemarkers and sure enough I did not. I had actually gone a route someone had suggested earlier in the thread as stated in this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan4290 View Post
and here are the results:
new side markers.

Masking off:

Basecoat:

Clearcoat:

After some curing time but not yet completed:

Here are the sidemarkers after taking a day to cure:

Installed my sidemarkers:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote