Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Zatari

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow Camaro
Touch up paint tips?

I ordered the rally yellow touch-up paint from my dealer recently and I'm going to pick it up later today but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to applying the stuff. I did a forum search for touch up paint and didn't seem to find what I needed so sorry of this has been asked before.

The damage done is just small small rock chips from the road (me and my mom drove from Houston, Texas through North Colorado and back) and to my untrained eye they look fairly fixable by the touch-up paint. My question would first be what is the best way to apply the paint? I've heard toothpicks, q-tips and etc but I'm just wanting to make sure I don't screw it up. And then my second question would also be how long should I be waiting for it to dry? I'm sure the bottle will tell me but as I said already I am not possession of the paint yet haha.
To make it easier to see the damage done I'm going to post photos up here very shortly, there's a few rock chips I'm not too sure can be fixed by just paint... And too be honest they're all not easily spotted at all unless you're as anal as I have seemed to become with this car!
Zatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I've used the tip of a toothpick on very small marks. Another thing to try is the cardboard end of a matchstick for bigger marks.

I'd start by using as small amount as possible, building up as necessary. After allowing time to cure, ( a couple of hrs.) I'd follow up with a clear coat.

Once dry and the appearance is to your liking, you can use a wax/polish with a very mild abhrasive to further hide the area where you touched up.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
GOLDDOG

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS & 08 JSB Corvette
I have use this on my Vette and it would great.

http://drcolorchip.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Zatari

Thanks for the quick reply, Moose! Maybe this is a complete idiotic question to ask... but clear coat? I'm not sure what exactly that is. I'm clueless in this department I guess.

Here's some pics:

To show that it's not as bad as my macro lens makes it out to be haha.

Looks worse close up but really...

It's not entirely terrible... not sure whether this can be fixed by touch-up though?

I also didn't photograph one of other chip but I'm fairly certain it's not too bad.

And I'm throwing this one in for kicks. My dealer has to buff this out... some clown in an Avalanche towing an old Datsun ran us off the road because he decided letting an 18-wheeler on the highway(WITH PLENTY OF ROOM TO JUST SLOW DOWN INSTEAD MIGHT I ADD) was more important then letting my poor little Camaro pass him... as I was doing at the time. The braking and I guess the sudden jolt from moving from pavement to grass made the front end do this: (please excuse the watermarks...)

Edit: Sorry, messed up some photos... should be good now. and thanks Golddog, I'll be sure to look at that site. :]
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Moose

[QUOTE=Zatari;701321]Thanks for the quick reply, Moose! Maybe this is a complete idiotic question to ask... but clear coat? I'm not sure what exactly that is. I'm clueless in this department I guess.

You're not "clueless".

You'd want to put a clear coat over the touch-up paint, ie; similar to the clear used on the cars paint itself. You can pick this up at any bodyshop (I have a friend who wons one and hes helpd me out.)

Looking at your pics. though, (I know you said they aren't as bad as the camera makes them out to be), while your Camaro is at the dealer for the work on the lower bumper, I'd inquire with them as to what, if any, cost it might be to correct all of the smaller areas.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Moose

The 1st, 2nd, and last pictures show damage where touch-up isn't the answer.

In the first one, the damage appears too deep to be buffed out by hand with a mild abhrasive. And the small imperfection in the 2nd pic. also looks pretty deep. I'd have these corrected at the dealer when the issue in the last pic. is being addressed.

IMO, the minor chip along the door edge is able to be corrected with touch up.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Zatari

Thanks Moose. I'll ask the dealer today when I pick up the paint as for the price, you saved me from stupidly trying to touch up something like that haha. Guess it's best left to the pros.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Zatari

Well as for the fixing of the lower bumper issue... An any other such damage I would have to replace... The entire front. Including areas that are entirely unaffected such as the fog lights, and othe parts of the bumper. Should I just try to take it in to a non-dealer associated body shop? And then if they suggest the same remedy just go from there? Seems like it'll cost an arm and a leg.

I think it's a bit ridiculous how much they suggested needed to be replaced, he even pointed up towards the mail slot... The entire front... I just don't know.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatari View Post
Well as for the fixing of the lower bumper issue... An any other such damage I would have to replace... The entire front. Including areas that are entirely unaffected such as the fog lights, and othe parts of the bumper. Should I just try to take it in to a non-dealer associated body shop? And then if they suggest the same remedy just go from there? Seems like it'll cost an arm and a leg.

I think it's a bit ridiculous how much they suggested needed to be replaced, he even pointed up towards the mail slot... The entire front... I just don't know.
Check for good, reputable, body shops.

The paint is new, so matching won't be an issue. I had estimates from my dealer back when I wanted a little work done, as well as from my friends body shop...body shop did a GREAT job, for less money, with a warranty!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Moose! Maybe this is a complete idiotic question to ask... but clear coat? I'm not sure what exactly that is. I'm clueless in this department I guess.

Here's some pics:

To show that it's not as bad as my macro lens makes it out to be haha.

Looks worse close up but really...

It's not entirely terrible... not sure whether this can be fixed by touch-up though?

I also didn't photograph one of other chip but I'm fairly certain it's not too bad.

And I'm throwing this one in for kicks. My dealer has to buff this out... some clown in an Avalanche towing an old Datsun ran us off the road because he decided letting an 18-wheeler on the highway(WITH PLENTY OF ROOM TO JUST SLOW DOWN INSTEAD MIGHT I ADD) was more important then letting my poor little Camaro pass him... as I was doing at the time. The braking and I guess the sudden jolt from moving from pavement to grass made the front end do this: (please excuse the watermarks...)

Edit: Sorry, messed up some photos... should be good now. and thanks Golddog, I'll be sure to look at that site. :]
just got mine back from shop be prepared to pay they will remove the whole bumper repaint and clear looking about 700 dollars
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
be very careful if he tries buffing on those edges paint is very soft and not cured .
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
Zatari

Thanks for the heads up man, I'm in limbo between having it repaired or just replaced...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Moose

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up man, I'm in limbo between having it repaired or just replaced...
I'm looking at your pictures again today.

I'd suggest you check with a couple of body shops. Get their opinions. And, by checking with at least a couple, you should get a good idea which one's are competent to do the work.

I really think replacing any body part is a little extreme.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
Zatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'm looking at your pictures again today.

I'd suggest you check with a couple of body shops. Get their opinions. And, by checking with at least a couple, you should get a good idea which one's are competent to do the work.

I really think replacing any body part is a little extreme.

Good luck.
Yeah, that is my thoughts exactly. When the dealership's body shop guy told me he could write me up an estimate right there if I'd like I just shook my head and told him I'd be in contact...

I've already posted in my regions forum asking about any reputable body shops in my part of town, so far I've got two I can check out. Seem like they know what they're doing. Thanks a million, Moose.