Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Heard exhaust of L99 tonight - OMG!!!

Some of you have heard the exhaust from my V6 and V8 videos I did last month. Basically they were of the cars sitting still and being revved up. All you folks who have been around performance cars know that the sound of an exhaust is very different when the engine is under load and that is really when you want to hear what the stock exhaust sounds like.

Anyhow, I had the opportunity to go check out an L99 tonight. When things were wrapping up, I explained to the person who had the car how much work was put into fine tuning the sound of the exhaust on these cars and that the only way to truly hear the fruits of the project teams labor, was to turn the traction control off and let her rip out of the dealership.

I have heard a lot of exhaust sounds in my life but I have NEVER heard a stock exhaust sound like that. There was about 10 of us watching/listening and the first thing I heard after the car could no longer be seen, was a Z06 owner saying "oh yeah!" as he nodded at me, clearly impressed. It's not only loud but it's a big tubular sound. Sorry to tell all you guys with after market exhaust plans - you will not want to change the exhaust.

Whoever hears the exhaust will not believe it is stock. When you have the opportunity, stand about 30 feet behind the car and listen to it drive off away from you at WOT - you'll be just as shocked as when you first saw the car. Whoever has met me knows I don't get impressed easily but to be honest, I'm still in disbelief.....I did not expect that!

For those who have not read up on the amount of effort that went into developing this sound, here's a few pics and a recap from an older thread:

Quote:
Getting an Earful

How Do We Make the Exhaust Sound Right?
It goes without saying that the exhaust character of a pony car is vital to the success of the vehicle. The engine note is central to the Camaro's very being — it's part of the reason for buying the car in the first place.

We will not have done our job correctly if it comes out sounding like a turbocharged vacuum cleaner.

So just how do we decide what the Camaro needs to sound like anyway?

The process, like all of those that we do with GM Engineering, is reasonably simple but very complex. First, we identify a number of vehicles (some are usually competitors' vehicles and some of our own product) that we think sound good. We measure them with a tool affectionately known here in Melbourne as "Helmut." It is a very sensitive set of microphones attached in a facsimile of a human head that is carefully calibrated to accurately simulate the human hearing spectrum.

Helmut usually sits on a box in the passenger seat of the vehicle and goes for a ride with the driver as he or she performs various maneuvers. We then repeat the same procedure for all of our test vehicles to give us a comparative set of sound recordings for the cars. These recordings can be used later by the induction and exhaust development engineers to calibrate their parts to the intended sound pressure curves on various test benches and dynamometers. Incidentally, we also measure the cars from the outside to simulate what an observer is hearing as the cars drive past them.

We process the sound recordings using a fast computer and break them up into their constituent frequencies (this is called Fourier Transformation — named after the French scientist who invented the mathematics behind it), graph them, and document the portions of the sound which are pleasing and those which are not. These are then put into a virtual melting pot; we use some parts of one recording and other parts of another to create a master file, which is a composite of all of these recordings and sounds exactly the way we want it to.

We're all ears
We usually convene a cross-sectional group of marketing and engineering people in a soundproof room once the master file is done, play all of the files one after another through very sophisticated headphones, and come to some consensus on the new composite.

Typically, we then throw this composite file in a drawer somewhere, forget about it, and decide to copy the car that sounded the best in the first place. Simple, really.

One Final Step
Oh yeah, there's one last essential step. We all go out to the track and burn some serious rubber in the original test cars, just to make sure we made the right decision — and to remind ourselves how cool our jobs can be.
— Andrew D. Holmes

To everyone on the Camaro team who participated in this activity, THANK YOU! A grand slam!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Dude I gotta say it's posts and threads like these that make me just want to.................................JUMP UP AND DOWN IN ANTICIPATION OF MY NEW CAMARO.

I saw one in person yesterday and I am going absolutely ape shit with anxiety.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Might have just saved me $1500 bucks... Will have to wait and hear for myself. Thanks for the update.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
how loud can it be if there are sound decible regulations? Even the Z06 sounds relatively mild at WOT.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Yea louder is not always better. You can get resonation in the cabin etc etc whole laundry list of problems. The major companies still tweaking old camaro and vette exhausts after 15-20 years to give you an idea how long and how much work.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

WOT?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
WOT?
Wide open throttle. Nail it baby!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
bdebde
That's All Folks

Drives: '87 Z-28
Quote:
WOT?
Wide Open Throttle
bdebde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
LOL, I remember those pics I can't wait to hear the result!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Wide open throttle. Nail it baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdebde View Post
Wide Open Throttle
Ok, I guess I'm an idiot. But thanx.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Ok, I guess I'm an idiot. But thanx.
I didnt know that one either......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
I have been concerned about this for some time!!

Aaaaaaaaaawesooooooooooooooooome.
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #13
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
I think a lot of people initially that got a chance to ride along in a CTF car or drive one months ago had said it was too quiet, but I really think that was because of being in the car. Even in one of the reviews, I think it was Motor Trend maybe, they mention that from the inside of the car it is quiet, but they said when comparing the Mustang GT, Challenger R/T and Camaro SS from the outside driving away the Camaro sounds AWESOME and screams!

Anyways thanks for your take on this! Glad to hear they nailed it with the sound on this car. Videos on the computer really can never truely capture the real sound of it when you are in person.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #14
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Some of you have heard the exhaust from my V6 and V8 videos I did last month. Basically they were of the cars sitting still and being revved up. All you folks who have been around performance cars know that the sound of an exhaust is very different when the engine is under load and that is really when you want to hear what the stock exhaust sounds like.

Anyhow, I had the opportunity to go check out an L99 tonight. When things were wrapping up, I explained to the person who had the car how much work was put into fine tuning the sound of the exhaust on these cars and that the only way to truly hear the fruits of the project teams labor, was to turn the traction control off and let her rip out of the dealership.

I have heard a lot of exhaust sounds in my life but I have NEVER heard a stock exhaust sound like that. There was about 10 of us watching/listening and the first thing I heard after the car could no longer be seen, was a Z06 owner saying "oh yeah!" as he nodded at me, clearly impressed. It's not only loud but it's a big tubular sound. Sorry to tell all you guys with after market exhaust plans - you will not want to change the exhaust.

Whoever hears the exhaust will not believe it is stock. When you have the opportunity, stand about 30 feet behind the car and listen to it drive off away from you at WOT - you'll be just as shocked as when you first saw the car. Whoever has met me knows I don't get impressed easily but to be honest, I'm still in disbelief.....I did not expect that!
Hylton, this is great news for me to hear since I am getting the L99. I must also say how much I enjoy reading whatever you write. You're one of a small handful of our members, that I really make it a point to pay attention to what all you have to say! Thanks for the post.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote