Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-28-2024, 08:25 PM   #15
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
I did the blend door on my 2015. Dash was fine as I've done it twice already. But to take out the actual dash bars, the windshield needs to be removed or you have to cut 2 bolts. I cut the two bolts. Used a dremel and one of those flat blade types. It took me two days. One day to get it all apart and do the blend door which is plastic welded shut with the evap and heater core. And then day 2 I just put everything back in.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:09 AM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I believe you. I just don't understand why is Chevy insisting the bolts need to come out by removing the windshield?
The shop manual says to remove the windshield in order to access 2 bolts that needs to be removed. This is what the dealers look at and must go by when quoting work. You'll have a much better response if you go to a independent shop that you trust.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:06 PM   #17
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I removed the dash in my 2010 back in the day to add HUD. There was a really good post back then that had step by step instructions for removing the dash. I checked off each step and made a baggy with parts for each one to make sure i could put everything back. I ended up with one extra screw that went in the center of the dash by the windshield - I gave up and that was my spare part.

There could still be a post out there with the steps - I just couldn't find it when I did a search a few minutes ago. It was back in '12 or '13. (BTW - I didn't remove the windshield).
Attached Images

dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:16 PM   #18
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The shop manual says to remove the windshield in order to access 2 bolts that needs to be removed. This is what the dealers look at and must go by when quoting work. You'll have a much better response if you go to a independent shop that you trust.

The thing is I moved up here from Fort Lauderdale 5 years ago. I know many shops down South of me that could do the job at a much lesser cost than any dealer would do it for. However, I do not know any mom and pop shops or a "good" shop that can do the job other than Tom Gibbs Chevrolet. If there are any people local near me around the Daytona Beach or St. Augustine Area that knows of one please let me know. Otherwise, it looks like it will be Tom Gibbs Chevrolet and they did not hesitate to tell me that the car would be cared for and they will reuse the same windshield it came in with. That alone gave me peace of mind - other than the cost it would be to R&R etc...

However, I will have them inspect the upper pressure port first because GMC did say it was leaking based on the pictures I provided and that most likely the underside portion of the car was caused by wind force blowing the freon underneath which made it seem like the leak was from the evaporator per the tire shop. The tire shop basically told me it wasn't the pressure port so I am left to assume that they do not want to add more freon and fix the problem on there end because they are a new shop that opened up last year December and do not want to blow any money? Am I wrong to think this?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:18 PM   #19
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
I removed the dash in my 2010 back in the day to add HUD. There was a really good post back then that had step by step instructions for removing the dash. I checked off each step and made a baggy with parts for each one to make sure i could put everything back. I ended up with one extra screw that went in the center of the dash by the windshield - I gave up and that was my spare part.

There could still be a post out there with the steps - I just couldn't find it when I did a search a few minutes ago. It was back in '12 or '13. (BTW - I didn't remove the windshield).

This is good to know and thanks for sharing! If you do happen to find the post, please post here. Thanks!

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:17 PM   #20
dkp2LT

Found it:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ht=install+hud
Old 02-29-2024, 07:47 PM   #21
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post

Thanks for posting this! Man I wouldn't mind doing this job especially when I was younger without a wife and kids. I have pulled an entire dash out of a 3rd Gen before but not a 5th Gen. Seems as each Camaro Generation passes it becomes more complicated. After reading through the whole thread on this topic... I do not think its doable for me at this time. Looks like it would be money well spent to have someone else do the job without the stress etc.. And if something happens its on them.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:14 AM   #22
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
For ease of finding it, I’ve stuck that thread in the DIY section.

Top of the page…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:20 PM   #23
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
For ease of finding it, I’ve stuck that thread in the DIY section.

Top of the page…

Is this the "Installing HUD in your camaro" thread you are referring to? If so then thanks!

Old 03-01-2024, 10:58 PM   #24
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Is this the "Installing HUD in your camaro" thread you are referring to? If so then thanks!
Yes… I thought there was more discussion in the earlier one, with vids, but this looks familiar, and it was a few minutes ago…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:05 AM   #25
dkp2LT

Yes!!! That is the one I used over 10 years ago when I was younger and took on the project. Wouldn't do it now...

Though I have thought it since the 11's didn't have the leather insert.