Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
AieaboyHI

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT RS
Sloooooow Leaky Tire........

I've been losing 6-10 PSI per month in my LR tire for the last 4-5 months. I called the dealership and inquired about it. Apparently there's a service bulletin out for aluminum rims with LESS THAN 20k miles on the car. I was told that due to corrosion the bead isn't sitting properly on the rim and leaks air. He told me to bring it in before it hits 20k on the odometer, as the service bulletin says they'll fix it under warranty if it has less than 20k.

I thought it had a 36k bumper to bumper? Anyway, I got 18k and taking it in.

Thought you guys would want to know if your experiencing the same problem.
AieaboyHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
moved to the wheels/tires subforum

You only get 20,000 miles because they don't offer bumper to bumper on your tires.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
AieaboyHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
moved to the wheels/tires subforum

You only get 20,000 miles because they don't offer bumper to bumper on your tires.

The tire is not the problem, it's the rim.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
rims should be covered under bumper to bumper
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Are they going to replace the tire too or just the rim? This is for the factory rim right? Mine was losing 10psi easy each month. Then it completely stopped for some reason and now recently have been losing pressure again. Mine happens on all four rims though.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
kaveduck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS V8- IOM
My right rear tire has a super slow leak too... I was thinking of taking it in... but I kinda feel like they're going to nickel and dime me since I didn't buy their "all expenses paid wheel deal steal" BS package at time of signing...
kaveduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
kaveduck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS V8- IOM
like 2-3 psi every 2-3 weeks

Most run 34-32 depending when I last filled but the rear runs 30-28
kaveduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Any damage or wear to a rim is normally not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. With the document you're referring to I am unsure as to how this would handled by the dealer. I can't go into detail on the document itself or the process to resolve this for you but it does sound like your dealer would be willing to take care of this for you. I would ask and see how they plan on handling this for you. I hope they take care of you all for this issue. If you've got any questions let me know and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
AieaboyHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Any damage or wear to a rim is normally not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. With the document you're referring to I am unsure as to how this would handled by the dealer. I can't go into detail on the document itself or the process to resolve this for you but it does sound like your dealer would be willing to take care of this for you. I would ask and see how they plan on handling this for you. I hope they take care of you all for this issue. If you've got any questions let me know and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
The service guy basically read the service bulletin over the phone to me. No rim replacement, but to clean the inner rim bead out with sandpaper or whatever it takes to get the alleged "corrosion" out. If that doesn't fix it, then a rim replacement maybe in order. Corrosion after 10K? Hmmmm...... I do have the 20' polished aluminum rims (RS Package) and the service dude said he feels it fits this bulletin, but he did emphasis, until I bring it in, they can't guarantee anything, but that's understandable. ZERO damage to the rim, whatsoever. I'm just getting tired of putting air in every 3-4 weeks, especially since I shouldn't be putting air in on a timetable like that. It is the dealer that I bought it new from (he did ask if I bought it from them) so I guess in order to get repeat business, they will take care of me.......I hope.

Thanks for the concern.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
AieaboyHI

Oh I forgot to add that, I did take the wheel off to check for nails, screws, etc., but couldn't find any of that or damage to the tire itself. (Obviously, the 1st step in trouble shooting a leaky tire........)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
AieaboyHI

Okay, final disposition.....took it to the dealer, tire had a really, really, really small nail in it, they patched it up for $15.00 USD AND washed the car for free (and it needed it). They even shuttled me 2 miles each way from the dealership to home and back, no charge. Case closed.