Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I've tried to contact my dealers in my area and nobody returned my calls or emails... I was able to do this by deliberately hitting the key with my knee. But I do like the switchblade key.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #16
roadblock

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I have stated this before, so not to sound like a broken record, I want to be able to carry a key to my office and my main residence on the same deal asm my car key. With the switchblade key, it hangs them out over my legs where they are hit, and its an annoyance. Plus, I can easily hit the key with my knee. I have not got my letter yet, but am getting it done.
Seriously, I want to see a picture of how one has to sit in a Camaro to be able to hit the key fob with his knee! I am sure that you can hit a wad of stuff hanging from the fob. I have no interest in seeing you hit a cement block attached to the key. I am confident that even I could accomplish that.

I have never felt a need to attach other keys or junk to my car fobs and understand that some people have a wad of crap attached to theirs. That was the leading contributor to the Cobalt key issue coupled with an elongated slot in the key head that allowed this mass to rotate the key when the lock was beyond its useful life and the vehicle was jarred.
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i'm keeping my original fob.don't want a key.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadblock View Post
Seriously, I want to see a picture of how one has to sit in a Camaro to be able to hit the key fob with his knee! I am sure that you can hit a wad of stuff hanging from the fob. I have no interest in seeing you hit a cement block attached to the key. I am confident that even I could accomplish that.
Read post #13 again. I split the two sentences away from each other.

[/quote]I have never felt a need to attach other keys or junk to my car fobs and understand that some people have a wad of crap attached to theirs. That was the leading contributor to the Cobalt key issue coupled with an elongated slot in the key head that allowed this mass to rotate the key when the lock was beyond its useful life and the vehicle was jarred.[/QUOTE]
So what do you do with your house key, if it's not on the same ring that's already in your hand when you arrive at home and get out of your car? Separate garage key? Office/desk/other work key?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Infantryman11C
High Angle Hell

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
So speaking from experience the recall is MANDATORY now. had to go to the dealership to get a screw removed (bought the tire/wheel warranty) they wouldn't let me leave without doin the recall fix. tried to get a push button start out of it but was told this was a "born in" option. the added key is literally more aggravating/dangerous than the blade key.

Brothers don't always have the same mother
Always remembered, Never forgotten
Infantryman11C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadblock View Post

I have never felt a need to attach other keys or junk to my car fobs and understand that some people have a wad of crap attached to theirs. That was the leading contributor to the Cobalt key issue coupled with an elongated slot in the key head that allowed this mass to rotate the key when the lock was beyond its useful life and the vehicle was jarred.
I do not consider 2 keys to be a "wad of crap", but your opinion may differ, and that's cool. All I have to do is bend my right leg straight back from the throttle / brake area and I can easily hit the key. Now I only drive like this on occasion when on the open interstate with the cruise control set, and even when in this position, I do not see the key as being an issue. I am simply stating that it can be done. I guess the difference between you and me is that you do not mind having multiple sets of keys, and you have an attachment to the switchblade style key, which I do not. To each his own. For what its worth, I am about 6'3".
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
mines a 2014 and it came with the recall done already but looking at the key i wonder if i could put it back in. my fob still has the functional switch blade, except its a nub instead of the whole key. on the side it has a small pin that held the blade in place.

wonder if i could get the blade out of the key and reinsert it back into the switchblade.

im 5 7 130 lbs so i know im not going to hit the key.

anyone tried that?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #22
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
mines a 2014 and it came with the recall done already but looking at the key i wonder if i could put it back in. my fob still has the functional switch blade, except its a nub instead of the whole key. on the side it has a small pin that held the blade in place.

wonder if i could get the blade out of the key and reinsert it back into the switchblade.

im 5 7 130 lbs so i know im not going to hit the key.

anyone tried that?
i am not sure if it was this key thread, or the one in the regular Camaro area, but someone had it done, and then changed it back. they had to heat the new kek holder to get out out, and then used a pin to hold it back in the place it originally was.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
Roaddog

Drives: 2014 LS V6 bright yellow
this whole recall is just a cya cover your ass for gm to avoid future lawsuits unless your seven feet tall i would ignore it
Roaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #24
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I can't hit my key with my knee no matter how hard I try and I am 6'. I guess that is because of the way my seat is adjusted. I don't want to switch keys but I am going to give this car to my grandchild someday and I don't want anything to happen to him or her so I am torn.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #25
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantryman11C View Post
So speaking from experience the recall is MANDATORY now. had to go to the dealership to get a screw removed (bought the tire/wheel warranty) they wouldn't let me leave without doin the recall fix. tried to get a push button start out of it but was told this was a "born in" option. the added key is literally more aggravating/dangerous than the blade key.
LOL, Id love to see a dealer pull that shit on me. The car is yours, not GM's or the dealers. They cant make you do anything. Threaten to call the police and your lawyer for false imprisonment and see what they do.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
Krajkerjac

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
LOL, Id love to see a dealer pull that shit on me. The car is yours, not GM's or the dealers. They cant make you do anything. Threaten to call the police and your lawyer for false imprisonment and see what they do.
Ha! False imprisonment of a key. Classic.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #27
Bearcrazy

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Key Recall Service Done Today

I took my 2013 SS and my recall letter to the dealership today and I am definitely disappointed with the key recall service. Instead of providing us with a smaller, nice fob to go with the new key, they simply cut the "blade" out of the switchblade fob and added a key ring into it with a new key for the ignition. This is really a tacky solution. So now I have my old, oversized fob (with the empty slot in it where the blade used to be) on a ring with a key that has a normal size head with a thin blade. Altogether it is a bulky combination to have in your pocket.... with a thin blade on that new key that will not only be easy to break, but will also be cutting holes in your pockets in no time. Had I known then what I know now, I would have "waived" this recall and kept my switchblade key. Not happy at all. After the price we paid for this new Camaro, to get a tacky key set-up like this is SUCH poor customer service!! Once they had my key in their hands, they told me that this was mandatory when I said I didn't want to do it at all. Anyone else have this experience?
Bearcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Can anyone provide pictures of what this key fix actually looks like when it is said nd done by a dealer?