Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #1
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Here's a strange electrical problem. :(

I loaded up the car to go to a local show less than 50 miles away.
However when I got there and went to restart, nothing, lights came on, no clunk or clicking, tried it 4 times, nothing.
Left it an hour and it started fine, also seven hours later when I came to leave.
I got back , put a volt meter across the battery, 14.5 volts with engine running.

Its morning now, taken it for a run, got back and its charging around 13v got underneath alternator cable is very secure, as I suspect it could be alternator low charging or a crappy starter..
Not sure where the engine earth strap is to check it, but i'm on it.

Obviously its the non start that worries me most, are these starters prone to heat soak or anything?

Vehicle is a 2010 SS auto, stock, and with 13k on the clock.
Battery is an Exide which I can't see being 7 years old, but have no idea of it's age.

Any help or ideas i'm listening.
thanks.

Last edited by Gordo-D; 08-07-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Voltage could be fine but cranking amps could be low meaning there is not much left of chargeable cell capacity. Do a cranking amp load test with a battery analyzer. You'd be surprised how what's left of a battery's cells can test fine from a volt perspective but be low in cranking amps.

Also, see this post http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...76#post9854276
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
no click at starter, but headlamps are bright, and battery voltage is ok, I would start with the starter relay at the engine fuse box. Are you getting a starter crank signal at the relay?swap relays with another one in the fuse box. but these rarely ever go bad. stick or automatic? clutch pedal switch ok? pedal needs to be applied for start up, but if switch is intermittent could cause a problem. You can jump the starter relay terminals of the fuse box when problem occurs have it in neutral if a stick. you can see if you have starter signal power at starter relay when the key is turned on to start position. I would do this first.
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
OP: Your overthinking this imo... Just replace the battery and I bet you will be good to go.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
+1...battery first and make sure it is a AGM version...and clean all grounds...good luck!
Old 08-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
Gordo-D

Thanks, no wonder I couldn't see the earth wire.
The heat shield stuff is a good idea.

What is AGM by the way?

Sorry, its Auto and L99

Here is a small video of me starting the car, its always sounded a bit lazy.

https://vimeo.com/228652224
Old 08-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Heat is also a great way to show the battery is failing as its not just cold that shows a weak battery, and I get some starter heat stroke now in the summer. Of course I have headers and my only additional cooling is from removing the center section of the hoods insulating strip at the firewall to vent air. I have blanket to wrap the starter, and someday will have to do hood venting.
Most likely yes it is the battery, load testing it may not show how strapped it is unless under the same conditions but should show its weak with less than advertised rating as I always find batteries last 1/2 their advertised life strong then after that its a crap shoot. My car always sounds a little lazy starting even with a new starter and battery and its not in the tune according to my tuner the timing is not too far advanced.... And I have checked and sanded and done everything I can to the grounds.

I if way too hot for restart will actually drag the starter real slow and it will start but throw codes I have to clear disconnecting the battery to clear them as it goes into rich mode until I get a point to let her cool down and reset and have checked the new battery and its fine........
Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Heat is also a great way to show the battery is failing as its not just cold that shows a weak battery, and I get some starter heat stroke now in the summer. Of course I have headers and my only additional cooling is from removing the center section of the hoods insulating strip at the firewall to vent air. I have blanket to wrap the starter, and someday will have to do hood venting.
Most likely yes it is the battery, load testing it may not show how strapped it is unless under the same conditions but should show its weak with less than advertised rating as I always find batteries last 1/2 their advertised life strong then after that its a crap shoot. My car always sounds a little lazy starting even with a new starter and battery and its not in the tune according to my tuner the timing is not too far advanced.... And I have checked and sanded and done everything I can to the grounds.

I if way too hot for restart will actually drag the starter real slow and it will start but throw codes I have to clear disconnecting the battery to clear them as it goes into rich mode until I get a point to let her cool down and reset and have checked the new battery and its fine........
You may want to check this out. This may be the holy grail solution to hot start problems.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...76#post9854276
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo-D View Post
Vehicle is a 2010 SS auto, stock, and with 13k on the clock.
Battery is an Exide which I can't see being 7 years old, but have no idea of it's age.

Any help or ideas i'm listening.
thanks.
Usually, batteries last about 4 or 5 years average. Going on 8 years from factory build date maybe means your Exide replacement is probably about due for replacement if it was installed 4 years ago. Exide battery date code is on the back of the case, per chart below.
After sitting a couple hours to dissipate the surface charge, if there is no degradation or short in the plates, it should read 12.6 volts before starting.
As others mentioned the auto stores can do a free load test.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 08-07-2017 at 08:17 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Gordo-D

Thank you all so far.
That battery date code is really useful, I rang Exide over here but they couldn't help although they did their best.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #11
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Your start sounds perfectly normal to me. Since you go from that to a no start situation, I would think it's most likely an intermittent ground strap issue. The battery could likely be on it's last legs, but I doubt it would go from 60-0 like that. Wouldn't hurt to have the battery tested just the same. Low battery voltage issues create some wild symptoms in modern cars....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
Gordo-D

The only stamped code is on the top.

Its 3JC04L2 so if 04 is the month, what is L2?

I am of the opinion that 0 is for 2010 having read up even more, it would fit with the cars age.

Last edited by Gordo-D; 08-07-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
As other's have said, it that is the original battery, it is over 6 years old and is most likely the issue. To be sure, take it down to the nearest auto parts store and have it load tested.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #14
Gordo-D

Tried testing it and it seemed ok, however I have just purchased a new battery and will report back.
I agree, if its the original battery even if that isn't the problem, 7 years is at the limit.

Thanks all.