Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-27-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Early 5th Gen dash removal

How many of you have done this before and was it your first time doing so? I cannot justify spending upwards of $2200-$3200 for the dealer to remove my dash and install a new evaporator. That's insanity at its best!

I am pretty handy and can do a lot of things when it comes to car repair and restoration, but the dash on the 5th gen gets me nervous. I have done it before in my old 3rd Gen Camaro. I was also able to replace the heater core in my old 87 Corvette I once owned by standing on my head ha! And that was without the dash removal or windshield removal.

Any input is appreciated!

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:42 AM   #2
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Ive never had to remove my dash ( I have a 2010) but i do believe the windshield has to come out to access some of the hardware to remove the dash

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:20 AM   #3
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
I've removed the dash on my 2010 when installing the HUD, I did it pretty much by myself (except getting the dash out for he car, it's much easier with 2 people) with basic tools, it is very involved though, kinda tedious and you have to be careful because there are bolts that some guides mention but others don't, even repair manuals leave out a few. I had basic tools and experience when I did it and it took me maybe 3-4 days to remove and reinstall, my best piece of advice is get few scrap sheets of cardboard and stick all the bolts in there with notes on where they go, there are too many bolts with different sizes to keep track of otherwise like this:
Name:  PXL_20221226_222410370.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  184.3 KB
Old 02-27-2024, 11:25 AM   #4
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
Ive never had to remove my dash ( I have a 2010) but i do believe the windshield has to come out to access some of the hardware to remove the dash

There is a video out there showing it can be done without removing the windshield.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:28 AM   #5
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
I've removed the dash on my 2010 when installing the HUD, I did it pretty much by myself (except getting the dash out for he car, it's much easier with 2 people) with basic tools, it is very involved though, kinda tedious and you have to be careful because there are bolts that some guides mention but others don't, even repair manuals leave out a few. I had basic tools and experience when I did it and it took me maybe 3-4 days to remove and reinstall, my best piece of advice is get few scrap sheets of cardboard and stick all the bolts in there with notes on where they go, there are too many bolts with different sizes to keep track of otherwise like this:
Attachment 1147118

That's a good tip. I too have HUD in my 2010 as well which was installed before I purchased the car. My issue is that it is a tedious job which is why I'm putting it on hold for now till I decide what I will do. I've got a buddy at work that knows someone at a GMC dealership and told me to tell them he sent me and maybe they will cut me a good deal. I plan to stop by there this week and see what they will quote me at.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:38 AM   #6
Eddymel1998

Yeah if I had to do it again I would definitely try and find someone else to do it, one side effect of it is that photo below is what the interior looked like by the end, so now I know how to remove most of the interior and roughly where all the different modules are in case one has to be replaced, so in past when I would be hesitant to remove a trim piece to run a wire or something, now it's no big deal
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2024, 11:43 AM   #7
SummitWhite11

I can see that! Ha! Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-27-2024, 01:19 PM   #8
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Yeah if I had to do it again I would definitely try and find someone else to do it, one side effect of it is that photo below is what the interior looked like by the end, so now I know how to remove most of the interior and roughly where all the different modules are in case one has to be replaced, so in past when I would be hesitant to remove a trim piece to run a wire or something, now it's no big deal
I feel like I have read somewhere that to properly remove the dash, there are a couple of bolts that are too long to remove with the windhsield in place, so some people opt to cut the heads off to remove them. Is that not the case? I'm not removing my dash or anything, I am just genuinely curious.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:22 PM   #9
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I feel like I have read somewhere that to properly remove the dash, there are a couple of bolts that are too long to remove with the windhsield in place, so some people opt to cut the heads off to remove them. Is that not the case? I'm not removing my dash or anything, I am just genuinely curious.
Yep there is a stud or two that has to be “modified” for it to come out without removing the glass.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:27 PM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Very early on, it was stated by GM the windshield had to be removed… There was a young man, 16 years old proved this wrong at the 1st Fest in Indianapolis… Hand tools, lots of spectators, including some Engineers and a little time… Amazing young man… I’ll try to find his postings… it was a long time ago…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:49 PM   #11
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Very early on, it was stated by GM the windshield had to be removed… There was a young man, 16 years old proved this wrong at the 1st Fest in Indianapolis… Hand tools, lots of spectators, including some Engineers and a little time… Amazing young man… I’ll try to find his postings… it was a long time ago…

Yes please do post if you find it. I stopped by the Chevy dealer today to get a quote and it was almost $2900 plus tax. The service advisor stated the windshield needed to come out and I proceeded to tell him there were ways around it but he disagreed ha! I was also informed it was a 14 hour job ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2024, 10:52 AM   #12
Eddymel1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I definitely didn't have to remove my windshield or cut any bolts, I feel like I remember some tricky ones around the front speaker and windshield vent area, I remember specifically that sensor on the vent gave me a hard time as well.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:45 PM   #13
SummitWhite11

I went to the GMC dealership today in St. Augustine near my work to get a second quote. They quoted me $3600 Ha! They said the windshield would need to be replaced and I said no it doesn't. They called their glass company they work with and was told they cannot even get a replacement for it and may as well total the car. That was a major WTF! GMC won't even touch my car now due to the windshield. I told them that the Chevy Dealer in my area quoted me $2900 + tax without having to replace the windshield and they have told me they have done it many times and not to worry. GMC basically told me to go with that because the Chevy dealer in St Augustine that is across the street from GMC uses the same glass company that told them to walk away from the job. Wow! Just wow!

Last edited by SummitWhite11; 02-28-2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:09 PM   #14
SummitWhite11

Quote:
I definitely didn't have to remove my windshield or cut any bolts, I feel like I remember some tricky ones around the front speaker and windshield vent area, I remember specifically that sensor on the vent gave me a hard time as well.

I believe you. I just don't understand why is Chevy insisting the bolts need to come out by removing the windshield?