Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
masoch

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Installing MBRP Axle-Back Exhaust - Will NPP Removal throw a CEL?

I'm back again guys. I love this Camaro but these electronics really bug me sometimes.

I'm looking at installing an MBRP axle-back and I'm concerned about the NPP mechanism that is present on the factory muffler. Can I just leave this unplugged or is there some sort of attachment I can grab that will prevent the computer from throwing a code?

I would go full exhaust in a heart beat but I don't want to void my warranty yet so the cats are staying for now.

Thanks for any input and helping to demystify this whole process guys.
masoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Nope you'll be fine. I have the catback MBRP and all they did was just bolt the NPP valves up to the side and out of the way. No codes. BTW you'll LOVE the sound

Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
I want the same exhaust .. but idk if I'm ready to lose the NPP function lol been stalling for the longest
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
love it, I'm old, would have to get the ones with the mufflers, but really crazy loud and no drone!
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Ugybug1900

Drives: Blue 2018 Camaro 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
Nope you'll be fine. I have the catback MBRP and all they did was just bolt the NPP valves up to the side and out of the way. No codes. BTW you'll LOVE the sound
will this pass Texas inspection.
Ugybug1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
SSummit

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
You can remove the valve actuators completely and it will not throw a code. I have this exhaust and love it, sold my Stainless Works NPP axle back because it was not loud enough, it also had a little drone but that didn't bother me. The MBRP sounds great, much deeper, louder and no drone.
SSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by masoch View Post
I'm back again guys. I love this Camaro but these electronics really bug me sometimes.

I'm looking at installing an MBRP axle-back and I'm concerned about the NPP mechanism that is present on the factory muffler. Can I just leave this unplugged or is there some sort of attachment I can grab that will prevent the computer from throwing a code?

I would go full exhaust in a heart beat but I don't want to void my warranty yet so the cats are staying for now.

Thanks for any input and helping to demystify this whole process guys.
I think EFI tuning are working on a module that plugs in to prevent any CELs.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
I cant tell if I want to get rid of my 2ss or max it out as a daily.
is there much difference between race and axleback? I was leaning towards the race catback due to sound.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
I think EFI tuning are working on a module that plugs in to prevent any CELs.
There is no module needed to prevent codes on NPP. I unplugged mine to install and ATAK exhaust and no problems. Codes can arise from unplugging the AFM modules unless you have them tuned out in the FPCM.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:21 AM   #10
Hekate1

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSummit View Post
You can remove the valve actuators completely and it will not throw a code. I have this exhaust and love it, sold my Stainless Works NPP axle back because it was not loud enough, it also had a little drone but that didn't bother me. The MBRP sounds great, much deeper, louder and no drone.
So I’m thinking you may have answered the question I have: if you replace the OE exhaust even with a setup made to be compatible with the NPP you will lose the ability to change between stealth and track mode? I guess this makes sense as I don’t see any wiring harness on the new setup. Be nice. I’m a girl and I’m just trying to envision how this work. I’m interested in the Borla axle back but this is the first mod I’m doing to the car (2016 2SS with NPP). I guess there is cutting of the OE involved as well? I’ve listened to the 3 different options Borla offers and like the S-type the best. Thanks in advance 😃
Hekate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
SSummit - How loud is the MBRP system? Thinking about getting one but don't want it to sound obnoxious. Thanks
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
andes101

Drives: 2016 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post

is yours a auto with afm? if it is what did you do with the AFM valves ?
andes101 is offline   Reply With Quote