Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #29
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
I know they say the Camaro Coupe will not be scrapped. I know they say production will start in February. Is there anything that can happen to change these two facts? Is it at all possible to start production early to help start cash flowing into the company?
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #30
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
The way everyone is talking GM may be forced into bankruptcy. The tide to save the American car companies seems to be faltering.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #31
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
oh come on....i blame the uaw and the union thugs ...I also blame c.a.f.e and all those government regulations for increasing the cost of making a vehicle and for having to crimp on quality to meet certain regulations

damn the unions i don't care who i offend its ridiculous that gm's labor costs are 60% more than toyota's and put some tariff's on the japanese cars...they have protectionist tariffs over there

how the heck does gm pay more for retired workers than their current workers...and gm shouldn't be a healthcare provider

screw the uaw seriously screw them
Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #32
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Man that sucks..
Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #33
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
oh come on....i blame the uaw and the union thugs ...I also blame c.a.f.e and all those government regulations for increasing the cost of making a vehicle and for having to crimp on quality to meet certain regulations

damn the unions i don't care who i offend its ridiculous that gm's labor costs are 60% more than toyota's and put some tariff's on the japanese cars...they have protectionist tariffs over there

how the heck does gm pay more for retired workers than their current workers...and gm shouldn't be a healthcare provider

Well, there's more to it then that, but you are on the right track.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #34
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

mmmmmm......not quite that simple.

There is much blame to go around:

>no level playing field with the european union and Japan and Korea --

>additional government regulations...(WHY is it that we keep legislating more and more safety features - yet there is NO National Driver Education program in this country - there are a few states where you can actually get a driver's license by taking a written test -- and you don't actually have to get behind the wheel!)

>several emission standards rather than one National one

>Apathy by the American Public

>Glacial pace of change in the past

>Unwillingness of SOME locals to change.

............there are many more, but I'm afraid I'll bring down the server if I keep listing them.......

I know the Unions are upset with those of us in Salaried Positions - but what I don't think they realize is that we are expected to work anytime needed -- with nothing like overtime -- we are 'exempt' -- we make the same money if we work 40 hours a week (I don't remember ever working 'only' 40 hours a week...) or 90 hours a week.......most of us are not 'bonus' level -- and those that are have no bonuses anymore.....we pay for the privilege of a company car.....we have sizable co-pays on our insurance (I pay over $200 a month for my heart medications) .....further, as we downsize, we take on the responsibilities of other people -- (i.e. at one time there was an an Exhibit Manager and an assistant Exhibit Manager for every Division - and Chevy had two -- one for cars, one for trucks........I'm now doing Chevy/Cad/Hummer/Saab -- and no assistants......and you know, if that's what I need to do to keep us competitive, so be it.....)

I, for one, believe (and this is my opinion...) that we SHOULD pay good wages to our laborers - because, you see, the money they make goes back into the economy.

Someone on another site said: " F*** 'em! make 'em give back 30% of their wages..........

OK.

Now - think about that.

Let's take Lordstown/Warren/Youngstown Ohio - what do you suppose would happen if we take that percentage away from our workers?

Massive foreclosures.
Local economy takes a hit
Vacation industry gets slapped
etc
etc
etc

................see, it isn't quite that easy.

What IS problematic is that the big three have, as I recall, north of 2 million retirees -- whereas Toyota has less than 600 --

OK.......now THAT'S competitive..........

There is no easy answer.

In closing...think about this:

>We won world war II by outproducing the enemy.

>The Wall Street Journal and other business periodicals credit GM with saving the economy after 9/11 --

........and yet so many Americans hate the big three.............and this, my friends, is Shameful.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #35
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

>additional government regulations...(WHY is it that we keep legislating more and more safety features - yet there is NO National Driver Education program in this country - there are a few states where you can actually get a driver's license by taking a written test -- and you don't actually have to get behind the wheel!)

............there are many more, but I'm afraid I'll bring down the server if I keep listing them.......

I know the Unions are upset with those of us in Salaried Positions - but what I don't think they realize is that we are expected to work anytime needed -- with nothing like overtime -- we are 'exempt' -- we make the same money if we work 40 hours a week (I don't remember ever working 'only' 40 hours a week...) or 90 hours a week.......most of us are not 'bonus' level -- and those that are have no bonuses anymore.....we pay for the privilege of a company car.....we have sizable co-pays on our insurance (I pay over $200 a month for my heart medications) .....further, as we downsize, we take on the responsibilities of other people -- (i.e. at one time there was an an Exhibit Manager and an assistant Exhibit Manager for every Division - and Chevy had two -- one for cars, one for trucks........I'm now doing Chevy/Cad/Hummer/Saab -- and no assistants......and you know, if that's what I need to do to keep us competitive, so be it.....)

I, for one, believe (and this is my opinion...) that we SHOULD pay good wages to our laborers - because, you see, the money they make goes back into the economy.

Someone on another site said: " F*** 'em! make 'em give back 30% of their wages..........

OK.

Now - think about that.

Let's take Lordstown/Warren/Youngstown Ohio - what do you suppose would happen if we take that percentage away from our workers?

Massive foreclosures.
etc
etc
etc

What IS problematic is that the big three have, as I recall, north of 2 million retirees -- whereas Toyota has less than 600 --

There is no easy answer.

>The Wall Street Journal and other business periodicals credit GM with saving the economy after 9/11 --

........and yet so many Americans hate the big three.............and this, my friends, is Shameful.
Well said. However just because you don't support the bailout doesn't mean you hate the big three. It just means you have a different ideology or think you have a better way to fix the situation. The government is going to help the retiree's and health benefits of GM while a bailout will probably happen if GM is still in trouble once Obama comes into office. However what price or what freedoms will we be giving up as American's because of the conditions that such a large bailout would require that is written by Democrats. More standards that make it even harder for larger more powerful engines to meet without penalties that the buyer has to incur in the form of taxes. How long will the bailout last before another is needed? The answer lies somewhere in between where both parties would like to take this situation. One thing is for certain, a lot of prayer and hard work is what is going to keep GM alive and running after the Government helps pay for benefits and salaries that no longer can be met at the current production level. And I will keep praying and as a loyal GM customer with 2 GM vehicles and one on the order I will continue to do my part..
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #36
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

OK.

Now - think about that.

Massive foreclosures.
etc
etc
etc

There is no easy answer.

I'm sorry if i seemed a bit rude i'm not mad at you guys i'm mad that people are blaming gm when the government had a huge hand in screwing you guys with stuff like the c.a.f.e standards

my only issue with unions is that they kind of force you to pay above market value...where as a company like toyota pays 50-60% less in their overall costs...its almost unfair competition from the start...now the 2 million retirees to 600 is astounding wow I had no idea, I understand why unions exist and workers have a right to unite but its no coincidence that industries that are heavily unionized end up being the ones that are doing bad now

and japan has national health insurance(which i don't ideologically agree with) but that also gives japanese automakers a huge advantage ...I'd prefer that we all have an individual based system with tax credits and you get to chose your plan but either one will help gm save costs

I heard that about 1000 dollars gets added in the price of every gm car because of the massive amount of healthcare that gm provides...

but f-bod my prayers are with you guys and i'm rooting for you guys...

what do you think will bode gm better the bailout or filing chapter 11 where you can possibly re-negotiate some of those union contracts?

the only problem if you accept the government money they are going to force you guys to accommodate to even stricter standards which will just put you guys in the same position in 2 years

I have faith in gm...if putting the camaro convertible on hold will help you guys I think us camaro faithful can make that sacrifice and either wait or just get an ss

I appreciate your input as you are way more knowledgeable than me and if i'm wrong in any one of my comments feel free to correct me
Old 11-15-2008, 12:06 AM   #37
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Very sad to hear this about the vert...

I know it will have its day...it'll just take time.

Now...I don't think I'll ever buy a foreign car again. Obviously, there is just too much at stake. It seems we keep pouring our money OUT of the country rather than trying to keep it IN....and in sooooo many more ways than by just buying an american made vehicle.

I WANT to help GM. I WANT to see GM succeed. Shoot...I want the BIG THREE to succeed. I'm going to do my part by buying the 2SS/RS in less than half a year. Just keep my baby coming GM and I'll gladly take her home.

Meanwhile....I'll keep spreading the word. I now have 2 Sergeants and another patrol officer interested....along w/ the others and the list is growing.

Spread the word, folks. If you know anyone looking to buy a car, HELP THEM HELP US. We need to be self sufficient!!! This is only ONE part of being self sufficient. Help your friend buy a new car from one of the big 3...and preferably from GM!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #38
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Now...I don't think I'll ever buy a foreign car again. Obviously, there is just too much at stake. It seems we keep pouring our money OUT of the country rather than trying to keep it IN....and in sooooo many more ways than by just buying an american made vehicle.

I WANT to help GM. I WANT to see GM succeed. Shoot...I want the BIG THREE to succeed. I'm going to do my part by buying the 2SS/RS in less than half a year. Just keep my baby coming GM and I'll gladly take her home.

Meanwhile....I'll keep spreading the word. I now have 2 Sergeants and another patrol officer interested....along w/ the others and the list is growing.

Spread the word, folks. If you know anyone looking to buy a car, HELP THEM HELP US. We need to be self sufficient!!! This is only ONE part of being self sufficient. Help your friend buy a new car from one of the big 3...and preferably from GM!!!
And everyone here in Oshawa who is assigned to the Camaro project THANKS all of you here at Camaro5 who have ordered their new Camaro. You guys/girls are the greatest.
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #39
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
super60,

By the words of your last post, I am assuming that you are on the Camaro team in Oshawa.

No pressure but -- it is the bottom of the 9th, GM is down by 3 points, and the bases are loaded. We NEED you guys at Oshawa to knock this one out of the park !!!!!!!!
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #40
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

+100

I have a bunch of guys at work feeling somewhat like they have betrayed their country now because I have been ridiculing on them for buying foreign. One guy (drives a BMW) is a Mopar man at heart. I asked him if he had seen the new Challenger yet and he said no. I took him to a Dodge dealership one day last week and now he has the fever for a Chally -- REAL BAD.

Everyone needs to start conversations about this and make sure that people understand that the big 3 are not like they were in the 80's. Have some researched facts ready in case it turns into a debate. You will find that most of those that have left the U.S. auto industry still have a favorite out of the big 3. Try to persuade them into taking a look at their favorite. If they don't have a favorite, try to persuade them into looking at a new GM.

On the other side of the coin, I sure hope the big 3 are actively working on mainstreaming the companies. It would be interesting to see what kind of bonuses the execs rape out of the companies this year and next.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #41
z28collection
waiting for 5th gen

Drives: 99 z28 6 speed, 81 z28 auto
gaaah

i dont think i can wait for the vert anymore im might be changin my order to a coupe. oh well i guess it could be worse.

http://www.myspace.com/ashleyjfowlkes
z28collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #42
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
You know, with American car companies being somewhat of a backbone for the economy, you would think Bush we be more eager to give them a share of this 700 billion dollars.

Although we all knew how bad GM was doing, it still saddens me a bit to actually read about it like this. If GM, Ford, or Chrysler go under, I don't think the other 2 would be far behind. That would not be helping our problems, to say the least...I just hope the Camaro can bring enough sales (along with the Volt when it comes out) to bring them a little money.
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote