Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Roto-fab CAI enhancements

As a company, Roto-fab strives to offer the best products we possibly can. As a result of ongoing testing along with feedback from several sources, we have implemented the following changes to our Camaro V8 air intake system:
· New plastic inlet elbow (SS polished tube remains the same)
· New coupler style for inlet elbow to throttle body
· Modified MAF sensor housing

Inlet elbow
Our new inlet elbow maintains the same size through its entire length whereas our original version tapered down ¼” through its length. Also, we’ve added to the length of the inlet elbow on both sides to create better alignment which reduces turbulence. We design our systems for longevity, so we still use a hump hose after the MAF sensor; however, the distance between the ductwork itself has been reduced by over 5/8”. On the throttle body end, the inlet elbow now extends to within appr. 3/16” from the face of the throttle body. It is coupled to the throttle body via a step hose with an internal shoulder for precise location of the tube. This along with the larger diameter of the elbow itself allows for a smoother entry into the throttle body. Existing Roto-fab users with modified engines (heads, cam etc) may want to consider this inlet elbow. For stock applications, you will not see a noticeable difference by switching from our previous elbow to our new elbow. Although we are in the business of selling parts, we don’t want to see you purchase something that won’t provide a benefit.
Step coupler
At the throttle body, we now use a step or transition hose which is 4 ¼” x 4” on the inside. Its custom molded for this application featuring an internal shoulder for positive inlet elbow location. Why a step hose? At the throttle body end, the outside diameter of our new inlet elbow is 4 ¼” while the clamping surface of the throttle body is about 4”. At first glance it may appear as though our inlet elbow is bigger than the throttle body-and it is on the OD. However, the .190” wall thickness our inlet elbow causes the ID of the inlet elbow to align very nicely with the entire inlet portion of the throttle body. The internal shoulder of the step hose ensures consistent location and alignment of the inlet elbow. For previous Roto-fab customers, the hump hose combined with the slightly shorter inlet elbow allows for some variation in how the tube is located during installation.
Modified MAF sensor housing
We have changed the ID of our MAF housing to more closely match the stock calibration of the Camaro. Our original MAF housing is slightly larger in diameter which still functions well within the range of the stock calibration; however, our new size obtains long term fuel trims nearly identical to the stock intake-within 1-2 %. This will give better performance “straight out of the box” as compared to our original version. We’ve achieved this difference by adding to the wall thickness of our housing. The outside of our housing is exactly the same as it was.
For existing Roto-fab owners, you have a couple of things to keep in mind. First, these cars do go through a learning process when a CAI is added. Secondly, if your car has been tuned, you definitely should not change to our new MAF sensor housing as this will affect your tune. As mentioned above with the inlet elbow, we don’t want you to think you should go with our new MAF housing and expect a “seat of the pants” difference.
At Roto-fab, our goal is to offer the best products we possibly can. After all, when dealing with air intakes on N/A vehicles, it is often all of the little things that make a difference. For those of you attending Camarofest, we will have product on display for you to see the changes we have made.
For tuners, the new MAF housing can be identified by the “R” stamped between the sensor mounting block and the molded flange.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Questions for you Mike:
1) Price for upgrade kit (all 3 parts)?
2) Do you have any data showing improved air flow or HP gains?
3) I have a VMax CNC throttle body, will this upgrade play well with it?
4) With no tune and my mods is this an upgrade I should consider? I will be doing a cam and LT's but not for a while yet.
5) What made you decide to do this redesign?
6) How will this upgrade affect IAT's and long term fuel trims?
Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
stubby

Drives: 2014 Z28 & 2014 C7 z51
Just received my new CAI - looks great & hope to install it soon, but before I do I'd like to confirm that I don't have the new MAF housing (see prior mods in my signature) & I do have the new larger size elbow. The invoice # is 4048. The item # on the invoice is 10151012, while the website shows # 10161012 for the maggie kit?

Also, please post a picture of the "R" between the sensor mounting block and the molded flange which identifies the new MAF housing.

Thanks for the continued improvements in an already Great product.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Nice to see you making things even better and not just relying on your already good reputation.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Questions for you Mike:
4) With no tune and my mods is this an upgrade I should consider? I will be doing a cam and LT's but not for a while yet.
Thanks!

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Did you change the tube for cars that have a Magnuson TVS2300?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
As a company, Roto-fab strives to offer the best products we possibly can. As a result of ongoing testing along with feedback from several sources, we have implemented the following changes to our Camaro V8 air intake system:
· New plastic inlet elbow (SS polished tube remains the same)
· New coupler style for inlet elbow to throttle body
· Modified MAF sensor housing

Inlet elbow
Our new inlet elbow maintains the same size through its entire length whereas our original version tapered down ¼” through its length. Also, we’ve added to the length of the inlet elbow on both sides to create better alignment which reduces turbulence. We design our systems for longevity, so we still use a hump hose after the MAF sensor; however, the distance between the ductwork itself has been reduced by over 5/8”. On the throttle body end, the inlet elbow now extends to within appr. 3/16” from the face of the throttle body. It is coupled to the throttle body via a step hose with an internal shoulder for precise location of the tube. This along with the larger diameter of the elbow itself allows for a smoother entry into the throttle body. Existing Roto-fab users with modified engines (heads, cam etc) may want to consider this inlet elbow. For stock applications, you will not see a noticeable difference by switching from our previous elbow to our new elbow. Although we are in the business of selling parts, we don’t want to see you purchase something that won’t provide a benefit.
Step coupler
At the throttle body, we now use a step or transition hose which is 4 ¼” x 4” on the inside. Its custom molded for this application featuring an internal shoulder for positive inlet elbow location. Why a step hose? At the throttle body end, the outside diameter of our new inlet elbow is 4 ¼” while the clamping surface of the throttle body is about 4”. At first glance it may appear as though our inlet elbow is bigger than the throttle body-and it is on the OD. However, the .190” wall thickness our inlet elbow causes the ID of the inlet elbow to align very nicely with the entire inlet portion of the throttle body. The internal shoulder of the step hose ensures consistent location and alignment of the inlet elbow. For previous Roto-fab customers, the hump hose combined with the slightly shorter inlet elbow allows for some variation in how the tube is located during installation.
Modified MAF sensor housing
We have changed the ID of our MAF housing to more closely match the stock calibration of the Camaro. Our original MAF housing is slightly larger in diameter which still functions well within the range of the stock calibration; however, our new size obtains long term fuel trims nearly identical to the stock intake-within 1-2 %. This will give better performance “straight out of the box” as compared to our original version. We’ve achieved this difference by adding to the wall thickness of our housing. The outside of our housing is exactly the same as it was.
For existing Roto-fab owners, you have a couple of things to keep in mind. First, these cars do go through a learning process when a CAI is added. Secondly, if your car has been tuned, you definitely should not change to our new MAF sensor housing as this will affect your tune. As mentioned above with the inlet elbow, we don’t want you to think you should go with our new MAF housing and expect a “seat of the pants” difference.
At Roto-fab, our goal is to offer the best products we possibly can. After all, when dealing with air intakes on N/A vehicles, it is often all of the little things that make a difference. For those of you attending Camarofest, we will have product on display for you to see the changes we have made.
For tuners, the new MAF housing can be identified by the “R” stamped between the sensor mounting block and the molded flange.

This is Awesome Mike, You Definitely go above and beyond, Not to many manufacturers are willing to revisit engineering, and development of an existing product.

This Says A lot about you as a manufacturer.

To improve on an already Great Product in Very Impressive.

As Mike Stated if your car has been tuned to not consider these upgrades.

These upgrades are to make this a better performer out of the box for guys who are not tuned.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Questions for you Mike:
Thanks!
First, our Camaro CAI has been on the market for a few years, so we decided to evaluate the entire system and make any changes that would be beneficial. Our original elbow and stainless steel elbow are the same radius with the ID size advantage going to the SS elbow. One of the things we have observed over time is our SS elbow often makes 1-2 HP more than our plastic version. Admittedly, a small difference such as this is often not conclusive on a chassis dyno. However, over a period of time we definitely noticed the trend. S/C cars make this difference more apparent, hence the larger size we offer specifically for S/C cars. Once we decided to enlarge the inlet elbow, we decided to close the gaps at the same time to reduce turbulence.

Our new MAF housing was developed by extensive testing with the intention of targeting LTFT's obtained by the stock intake system. As stated before, your car does learn over time. However, our new design will create better numbers "right out of the box" as compared to our previous version. Although we monitored LTFT on the dyno, the "tuning" of our MAF housing to the stock system was all done on the road under various driving conditions, RPM ranges, etc. This was all data logged through EFI Live for comparison, so we do have all of the data showing the LTFT differences. Also, we did dyno test against a stock intake and showed really good gains. I will try to get the graphs up tomorrow. Actually we had a really strong car for testing which produced better than typical #s. We had issues (bad gas) with our first test vehicle, so our test time was limited which kept us from doing all of the comparisons we originally planned.

We haven't changed anything that will have an effect on AIT's.

I can't give you any accurate information about the use of our intake with the Vmax CNC ported throttle body. I've heard good things about it, but I have no first hand experience with it.

We don't yet have a price on all 3 items as an upgrade kit. Further, we aren't even recommending that current Roto-fab customers purchase all of the components. Simply put, the more mods done to your car the more beneficial the bigger elbow will be. For stock application, it's not worth the switch. Along the same lines, if someone has tuned at all, the MAF housing definitely should not be replaced.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
No we did not. Actually, our revised N/A tube now has the same ID as the S/C tube you have on your car.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
No we did not. Actually, our revised N/A tube now has the same ID as the S/C tube you have on your car.
Thank you.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby View Post
Just received my new CAI - looks great & hope to install it soon, but before I do I'd like to confirm that I don't have the new MAF housing (see prior mods in my signature) & I do have the new larger size elbow. The invoice # is 4048. The item # on the invoice is 10151012, while the website shows # 10161012 for the maggie kit?

Also, please post a picture of the "R" between the sensor mounting block and the molded flange which identifies the new MAF housing.

Thanks for the continued improvements in an already Great product.
Our S/C kit hasn't changed at all. As mentioned to Darth Emma, we've stepped up our N/A elbow the ID of the S/C elbow you have. As for the "R", I've had problems with the computer that has the images. I will try to get it posted for you tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
We don't yet have a price on all 3 items as an upgrade kit. Further, we aren't even recommending that current Roto-fab customers purchase all of the components. Simply put, the more mods done to your car the more beneficial the bigger elbow will be. For stock application, it's not worth the switch. Along the same lines, if someone has tuned at all, the MAF housing definitely should not be replaced.
I have what I'm assuming is the original Roto-fab with a dry filter on my car. I also have a cam, headers, exhaust and a tune.

It sounds like I shouldn't touch the MAF housing, but would there be anything else you recommend updating?
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Thanks Mike! Couple more questions. With my mods (see sig) what would you recommend? By now I think my LTFT's are what they're gonna be so would it be worth changing the MAF housing? I did buy an SCT tuner from Ted but haven't used it yet so I'm still on stock tune. However I plan on doing the tune eventually, just had my tranny replaced so I want to give it time before tuning (warranty)! Please advise!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote