Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-08-2016, 03:09 AM   #57
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
What about the LS3 then ?

Its unacceptable some of the problems the LS7 had.

Its also unacceptable that my LT1 engine might need carbon cleaning at 30-40k. when you buy a new car, your car should last a reasonable amount of miles with a reasonable amount of care. I paid for 460HP, 465TQ period.

Some of the new tech is great, some of it has caused other problems.

Why would i buy a chevy product if i have such a big problem with this? because It was either I buy a corvette or it was a foreign car which all have GDI engines.
Get a Mishimoto catch can and don't worry about the carbon deposits. Run some seafoam if you think it will help. GM put a catchcan on the Camaro too so maybe you don't need a second catch can. We will have to wait and see.
It may be more complex but I think the toque and drivability that come with VVT are worth it. You will lose AFM with a cam upgrade but VVT is a great thing to have. I like AFM personally for the 31+ mpg's I get on my way to work so I'm not sure if I will cam it. Maybe I'll supercharge instead.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #58
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I would take an LT1 over a LS3 or an LS7 ANY DAY!!!
Old 04-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #59
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
Get a Mishimoto catch can and don't worry about the carbon deposits. Run some seafoam if you think it will help. GM put a catchcan on the Camaro too so maybe you don't need a second catch can. We will have to wait and see.
It may be more complex but I think the toque and drivability that come with VVT are worth it. You will lose AFM with a cam upgrade but VVT is a great thing to have. I like AFM personally for the 31+ mpg's I get on my way to work so I'm not sure if I will cam it. Maybe I'll supercharge instead.
There are AFM friendly cams for the LT1, btw.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #60
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I plan on buying it, doing regular oil changes with Amsoil, putting gas in, drive and enjoy. If a problem should arise, I'll get it cleaned up. What else can you do?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #61
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I plan on buying it, doing regular oil changes with Amsoil, putting gas in, drive and enjoy. If a problem should arise, I'll get it cleaned up. What else can you do?
You can subject the rest of us to your whinging girl parts until you feel good about a decision to swap an engine...duh.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #62
BigNorm4Life

Drives: 2013 Ford Fusion SE
Wow... I don't see how he was a troll, it's been proved that DI engines gum up and and all honesty, no matter if it's A Focus, to a Malibu, to a damn Vettte... With the money paid for these cars, it shouldn't be an issue from the factory.. Period just my two cents

It's not like the LT1 was being badmouthed per se, It's a fantastic engine with flaws like every other direct injection... Some people need to come off their high horse in regards to how great this engine actually is

It would be nice if Al Oppenheiser or whatever his name is comes to the forum and do a questionare
BigNorm4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #63
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNorm4Life View Post
Wow... I don't see how he was a troll, it's been proved that DI engines gum up and and all honesty, no matter if it's A Focus, to a Malibu, to a damn Vettte... With the money paid for these cars, it shouldn't be an issue from the factory.. Period just my two cents

It's not like the LT1 was being badmouthed per se, It's a fantastic engine with flaws like every other direct injection... Some people need to come off their high horse in regards to how great this engine actually is

It would be nice if Al Oppenheiser or whatever his name is comes to the forum and do a questionare
talks bad about a certain technical part of the car= troll. People just cant take anything negative about the car they drive.

I have been on these forums for years, with thousands of posts. I bought a camaro SS back in 2009, and a corvette last summer. If i didn't overall like these cars i wouldn't be on the forum, and sure as hell wouldn't be buying them.

There is a lot of negatively associated with direct injection engines. I shouldn't have to put a aftermarket part on my car to make it run a reasonable amount of miles the way it should. Thats the thing people seem not to understand.

In time we will find out the truth.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #64
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
The LTI has issues... The AFM is meh, but was required by GM to reach MPG goals. But the PCV and CCV pressure overflow is real on these motors.

The build up will happen and I agree with Mike, carbon build up will cause issue with cats etc. Using cleaners just brakes it off and flushes it down the line to get caught in something else. #NewCats

Not sold on the oil and gas back pressure and build-up that is happening... this is like 800 miles of build up... that's a lot of blow back for 800 miles. Yes some motors are worse, but GM's system only gets onside of the motor.

Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #65
Boxmonkey

Drives: 2015 STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Its a great theory.

The problem is that this tech and others like it that are being put into these engines, add complexity and WILL be more expensive to fix if they break for the long term owner.

AFM liters are know to have problems later in the engine life also.

the LS3 was very simple design(compare to every mass produced engine out there). This is why so many people in general swap LS motors. they are easy to work with, and are very reliable.
So your solution to avoid cost and complexity is to swap a motor into your brand new car?
Boxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #66
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmonkey View Post
So your solution to avoid cost and complexity is to swap a motor into your brand new car?
Not at all, MAYBE if my engine blew up after mods.

I probably would mod the LT1 before i would do a engine swap. Not because of the price, more of safety concern. The whole engine swap thing is something that would happen years from now. When my car isnt worth much money, and it becomes a project.

I am just expressing things about the old LS motor that i liked more.

I will probably do cam swap in the LT1 with VVT delete, AFM delete (upgraded lifters) and some kind of catch can system.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #67
mikeSS

yup about a 20WHP loss at 20k miles.

This is topic is now being talked about on different threads on the corvette forums. LT1 for the win.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-owners-8.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-coking-2.html
Old 05-01-2016, 02:38 AM   #68
Mt. Dew

Drives: CM88-B Bison
Here too:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...or-test-3.html

So it sounds like the owner did not run a catch can for those first 20k. I'm sure one will help, but to what degree, only time will tell. Very depressing though considering how many vehicles are DI now. The used car market is going to be very scary in 5 years.
Mt. Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #69
BlkReaper

Drives: 2016 2ss
If anyone has a concern with carbon build up, look up N54 Walnut blasting. The N54 is a DI twin turbo i6 BMW engine. Comes in e90 335i and a couple other cars. It's treated as a maintenance item. These engines have been tuned for years and no one complains about DI anymore. At the beginning they noticed carbon build and spent their time coming up with solutions not data just to prove people wrong.

1. If you're going to keep your engine mostly stock, buy a catch can get it walnut blasted about every other year.

"But I don't want to pay the dealership to do this"

Here, buy this this and that and you can do it yourself at home.

2. If you are going to mod your car add meth injection. Meth sprayed into the intake will "steam clean" the valves

3. If you will be heavily heavily modding your car add 6 more injectors for port injection.

Mind you, option 3 was only thought of because the n54 had problems with the High Pressure fuel pump which has since been resolved by BMW and aftermarket options. If DI was this wicked evil technology that it's trying to be made out to be, I would add 8 port injectors before I swapped the LT for an LS.

Last edited by BlkReaper; 05-01-2016 at 09:44 AM.
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #70
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
This really is a redonkulas discussion and started with guy with a ford fusion. The LS motors are a killer setup and that's why about half the fox bodies that are drag raced have LS motors. However, the LT1 with DI is way better. I've had every version of the LS modded and stock. I would never consider changing it for an LS of any cubic inch, at least not in this car.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote