Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Xlr8torZ28
aka: The Evil Joker

Drives: 1991 Z28 (murdered out)
Some options you could do without?

What are some standard options on the new Camaro that you could do without? In my opinion, there is alot of unnecessary added weight for items that are not needed.

1991 Z28 305H.O. TPI T56 six speed w/ B&M ripper shifter, ROH Drift-Rs 18x9 w/265/35-18s & 18x10 w/295/35-18s, 4.10s, K&Ns, Holley 52mm, ADS Superchip, Hedman headers & Y-pipe, custom Flowmaster, MSD, SLP posi unit, Koni yellows, Eibach Pros, Lakewood boxed rear control arms, TDS wonderbar, Hotchkis dbl adj panhard bar
Xlr8torZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
paulv7260

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM L99
What exactly is a "standard option". If it is an option can it be standard as well?

Catching your drift there's nothing that comes to mind but then I'm a button freak. The more buttons the merrier.
paulv7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv7260 View Post
What exactly is a "standard option". If it is an option can it be standard as well?

Catching your drift there's nothing that comes to mind but then I'm a button freak. The more buttons the merrier.
There is no such thing as a "Standard Option" It either has to be Standard equipment , or an Option, it cannot be both.
I think you call that an OxyMoron... Not him but the term

Well if he is wanting just to reduce weight,
No Air conditioning would help alot.
Power windows and doorlocks. Folding rear seat adds weight even a stationary one weighs less..
no radio them speakers can be heavy...
No compressor and sealant.
no rear spoiler
smaller tires and wheels...

but for a street car who would want to do away with that stuff???
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
bonehead

Drives: xxx
First, by definition, options are optional so I can order them or not thus they can presently be eliminated. Except, I would like to see the present options broken up into more seperate options instead of being in packages. And don't give me all of those production reasons for packages baloney... I want to pick and choose my options.

Secondly would like to see a lot of the standard equipment become options. A lot of these "standard" options are the reason for the cost and weight of the present Camaro configuration. If I was running GM (start dream sequence), I would make a base Camaro like they did in the "old days" and make most of the equipment such as: power windows, ac, radios, all that computer interface stuff; options that I could order if I wanted them.

I know I'll hear from some of you that "...grouping options streamlines production and makes the car cheaper and quicker to produce...Bla Bla Bla" B.S. I seem to remember that back when GM had everything optional and allowed customers to order there cars "their way" that they actually made $$$ and weren't on the brink of bankrupcy.

My thoughts FWIW

Last edited by bonehead; 02-26-2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: fix wording
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
I know I'll hear from some of you that "...grouping options streamlines production and makes the car cheaper and quicker to produce...Bla Bla Bla" B.S. I seem to remember that back when GM had everything optional and allowed customers to order there cars "their way" that they actually made $$$ and weren't on the brink of bankrupcy.

My thoughts FWIW
Yes .... but back then, CEOs werent taking home 10 million a year either

If you gave every executive a "reasonable salary and bonuses based on PROFIT, then you could bring back the "option" system and everyone would be happy. Unfortunately ... some people want ALL the money :(
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
There is no such thing as a "Standard Option" It either has to be Standard equipment , or an Option, it cannot be both.
I think you call that an OxyMoron... Not him but the term

Well if he is wanting just to reduce weight,
No Air conditioning would help alot.
Power windows and doorlocks. Folding rear seat adds weight even a stationary one weighs less..
no radio them speakers can be heavy...
No compressor and sealant.
no rear spoiler
smaller tires and wheels...

but for a street car who would want to do away with that stuff???
Back in 1968, Plymouth offered the Road Runner. It was a stripped down, bare bones version of the very popular (and expensive) GTX. It was aimed at the younger crowd who wanted to go fast, didnt care about frills and couldnt afford the GTX. Plymouth sold as many if not more Road Runners than they did GTXs in 68 & 69. Dodge did the same thing with the Super Bee as a cheaper version of the Coronet R/T.

I'm certain you'd see alot of people step up and buy a basic, bare bones Camaro if it was available. Especially in this economic state. Just my opinion though
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Anyone remember when you had to order the special F-41 Suspention Just to get sway bars and larger tires and stiffer shocks and springs? I got them on my 76 Malibu, and it cost a Whopping 67 dollars more... I thought that was a great bargan then, but it did add weight. but you know, in the long run it was worth it.
Most people today would never buy a car without the things that are included in the Base LS.
That is why all that stuff is included...then again alot of the weight issues have to do with safety. Airbags all over add weight too. do you want to do without them? they lower your insurance!!!
If you want high performance without much extra get the 1SS with no other options... that is about as basic a performance car as you will find today... then if it has something on it you don't want.. take it off yourself...and sell it on e-bay to someone that does want it...

Too many people only think of what they want. they are spoiled with the I gotta have it now and I got to have it the way I want it. who cares what anyone else wants... If you are over the age of 30 you should have realized by now you NEVER get EVERYTHING when and how you want it. Life is full of compromise. Of course if enough people demand they build a BASE camaro with the 422Hp V8 maybe you will see it someday, but if only 2 or 3 % of buyers want it, you won't get it...
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefive View Post
Back in 1968, Plymouth offered the Road Runner. It was a stripped down, bare bones version of the very popular (and expensive) GTX. It was aimed at the younger crowd who wanted to go fast, didnt care about frills and couldnt afford the GTX. Plymouth sold as many if not more Road Runners than they did GTXs in 68 & 69. Dodge did the same thing with the Super Bee as a cheaper version of the Coronet R/T.

I'm certain you'd see alot of people step up and buy a basic, bare bones Camaro if it was available. Especially in this economic state. Just my opinion though
To a certain degree you can step up and buy a bare bones Camaro today. They have the LS which starts at $22,995. Although it is true that this car has a V6 the V6 is also 300 hp. Much of the younger generation are already buying rice runners and tricking the cars out themselves as they can afford it. The LS Camaro will get a good percentage of their customers from these people.

If the person decides they are more of a V8 kind of person they can order the base 1SS which starts at $30,995. This compares to the $34,180 it would have cost for the 2SS. Going farther than that compare these numbers to what a Dodge Challanger or Ford Mustang would cost and you will find that Camaro is very cost competative.
camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
bonehead

Drives: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefive View Post

I had a 69 Road Runner back in the day (...I'm old), 383 magnum, 4 speed, taxi cheeso interior, what a great car! The bare bones concept works, and sells.

Gm is missing a large segment of the muscle car market, ...guys that want to go fast without all that luxury crap...
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
I could do without the HUD (in fact, that's why I went ahead and pre-ordered). I just don't see what the big deal is with those... it's redundant, and honestly I think it would be slightly distracting. Can't people "feel" how fast they are going? Or just take a quick glance down at the speedo? I don't think it's necessary to "stare" at it... a quick, .5 sec look does everything you need and does not take your attention away from the road.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8torZ28 View Post
What are some standard options on the new Camaro that you could do without? In my opinion, there is alot of unnecessary added weight for items that are not needed.
I wanna know which items you had in mind...

To me HUD and Nav systems aren't worth the money and space they take up. Not sure of anything else in the car that i'd consider unnecessary though.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I'm getting a 1SS because I'm not that interested in anything the 2SS comes with except for the 4-pack gauges. From the 1SS, I could do without OnStar and XM radio.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Xlr8torZ28
aka: The Evil Joker

Drives: 1991 Z28 (murdered out)
Sorry about the mis-wording... My point is that cars are frikkin' pigs these days... So much added stuff that isnt really needed... Just give me A/C, radio, electric windows and doorlocks... Cars need to be put on a diet these days. Just think of the difference it would make to shed 400 pounds off the Camaro. I really like the new Camaro, and I am a huge Chevrolet fan, but I was disappointed when I found out how much it weighed.

1991 Z28 305H.O. TPI T56 six speed w/ B&M ripper shifter, ROH Drift-Rs 18x9 w/265/35-18s & 18x10 w/295/35-18s, 4.10s, K&Ns, Holley 52mm, ADS Superchip, Hedman headers & Y-pipe, custom Flowmaster, MSD, SLP posi unit, Koni yellows, Eibach Pros, Lakewood boxed rear control arms, TDS wonderbar, Hotchkis dbl adj panhard bar
Xlr8torZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
kalel

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8torZ28 View Post
Sorry about the mis-wording... My point is that cars are frikkin' pigs these days... So much added stuff that isnt really needed... Just give me A/C, radio, electric windows and doorlocks... Cars need to be put on a diet these days. Just think of the difference it would make to shed 400 pounds off the Camaro. I really like the new Camaro, and I am a huge Chevrolet fan, but I was disappointed when I found out how much it weighed.
What else is there to get rid of. AC, radio, power windows and doorlocks is all it has. Tire pressure monitor is required, airbags are pretty much required now a days.