Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #15
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
We're in the depths of winter right now and if I were to desire removal of all salt from my car each time it got coated, I would be washing it nearly every day. It's just part of living in the northern states. Cars are put through more extremes in temperature/conditions, pot holes, and salt. The only useful solutions are to move south or get a beater for the winter.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #16
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post

Who is the "they" that is telling you this? This seems like grade-school logic to me.
It was just info on other, random, car forums. I'm not gonna link to them here. Just search Google on the subject and all kinds of stuff pops up. Your post makes sense though. Just looking for the best way to deal with this issue. I hate getting under a car and finding every single nut and bolt rusted together.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Try washing it.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #18
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
How do I deal with it??

I wash it!!!!!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #19
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Take a shot of Tequila....lick it....shot....lick....shot.....lick....etc. Sooner or later it will be clean or you won't care.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #20
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
"Salty Camaro." I thought you were having problems with your car's use of vulgarity.
I thought it was new adult beverage. I'm like Yes, I will try one.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
Take a shot of Tequila....lick it....shot....lick....shot.....lick....etc. Sooner or later it will be clean or you won't care.

You win the internets today.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #22
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
get the car undercoated and wash wash wash
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #23
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Bet you could find one of these for about the price of an oil change. It may not be pretty, but it would keep your baby out of the salt. Besides insurance would be dirt cheap and if it gets wrecked there's another junker just like it somewhere nearby. It will make you appreciate your Camaro that much more when warm weather comes out again.
Attached Images

'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #24
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
You are doing the right thing. When the weather is bad, you have to think about survival first, and vanity second. Its good if you can find a hand wash place that will do underbody flushes. The main thing is to have the car washed frequently and not have salt cake on and under the car for a long time.

It will be harder if you have special rims or are very vain about your car's appearance. Just remember, the key to winter is survival...do what you have to.

EDIT: Forgot about this subject. It is equally important that during the warm months you thoroughly detail the car and have a good amount of protection from a wax or a sealant. It will pay in dividends during winter when the elements beat up on your car. Remember this routine: Wax during summer, wash and flush during winter, and you will be in good shape for the duration of your ownership.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #25
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Bet you could find one of these for about the price of an oil change. It may not be pretty, but it would keep your baby out of the salt. Besides insurance would be dirt cheap and if it gets wrecked there's another junker just like it somewhere nearby. It will make you appreciate your Camaro that much more when warm weather comes out again.

Oh, I have thought about a second vehicle. The problem is our HOA. We live in a condo and are limited to two vehicles. We already have three, if you include the Harley. I have been eyeballing some unused parking and wondering if I could sneak a beater in.. Until then, the Camaro is going to get salt on it. No way around it.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #26
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
... and wondering if I could sneak a beater in...
Sometimes I wonder that at work... but I'll probably wait until I get home.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #27
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
How I deal with it depends on the weather. If it's reasonably warm and dry I wash it. If it's in the single digits or colder I let it be. Prying on iced up doors, trunks, wipers, windows, etc. is probably worse than the salt. If it is still snowing or the roads are covered with some sort of salty crud I also just let it be. Sometimes it helps to kick the cat or drink a lot of beer. Maybe yell at someone and swear next year you will move south.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Last year read a very interesting Blog on Hemming's regarding rust, chemical salt reactions, etc. Rust will start to take hold around freezing...colder like the zub-zero temps I experience here in Canada not much of an issue. So I get the car washed including undercarriage a few times during winter months when temps get close to 32 F ('0' C). Apparently the salt will cause rust issues when the temp remains above freezing, not much of an issue below freezing. First week when I realize daily highs might be above freezing (March?) I go to a coin car wash & power wash every nook I can reach as the full service car washes don't really clean all the hard to reach spots.

I also had a detailing shop do a quality paint sealant first year I had the car and it is fully detailed / waxed etc. each spring. Also get it Krown rust treated each year. This is my 3rd winter as a daily driver and so far no rust issues. When I had the auto on the lift last Nov. for its annual inspection & fluid change, before the first snow fall, undercarriage still rust free.

When I moved from Texas to Canada in 2003, had a 1996 Sebring LXI coupe bought new. Before 1st winter in Canada had it Krown treated and continued annually until I traded the Sebring at 96,000 miles for my Camaro summer 2010. The Sebring had zero rust after multiple Canadian winters as a daily driver.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote