Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Which would be the best performance option?

Okay assuming the rumors are true and there will be two V8 versions for the Camaro, a N/A LS3 and a LS3 w/roots style blower.

Which would be better to get? I only ask because the aftermarket companies like Kenne Bell will probably offer better twin screw designs than the factory. Knowing that, would it be better just to get the N/A LS3 and then slap a blower on that since both V8 Camaros will have the same block and heads?

Or will the S/C LS3 be built to handle boost better i.e. forged rotating assembly? Does the L92 that the LS3 will be based off of already have forged guts?

Just some stuff I was thinking about while I was out running today.

EDIT: I guess this thread can be moved into the "5th Gen LS3 info from Chevy Hi-Po" Thread sorry for the clutter.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 04-14-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I checked on Gm's site niether the L92 or the L76(another possible condender) has forged parts, but remember these are still truck engines, if they do in fact get put into the Camaro, I'm sure some transitional changes will occur.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'd have to say it might be a kind of waiting game. Sit back, wait, and see how the stock SC performs. Then, either buy the SC version or buy NA and toss another on there. It's just going to be a heck of a lot of work having to upgrade all the parts to be strong enough to handle the newly added SC. Plus, you are going to have to do a complete retune. I just think it would be a lot of work. I'd use the original...keep it under warranty...and if it breaks, not have to worry. My 2 cents.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Rock36
I just like V8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I'd have to say it might be a kind of waiting game. Sit back, wait, and see how the stock SC performs. Then, either buy the SC version or buy NA and toss another on there. It's just going to be a heck of a lot of work having to upgrade all the parts to be strong enough to handle the newly added SC. Plus, you are going to have to do a complete retune. I just think it would be a lot of work. I'd use the original...keep it under warranty...and if it breaks, not have to worry. My 2 cents.
I guess you are right. I think I was just thinking both versions of the camaro would be identical except one has a regular intake manifold and the other has the blower. That probably isn't realistic in retrospect.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Well considering the cadillac XLR has an Eaton supercharger. And the blown Corvette probably will have one as well and so does the Ford lightning with only 5psi of boost.My guess is the the Camaro with one will be a kick *** unit as well. The only thing to do is play around with the amount of boost you want and play with the programing. The Eatosn supercharger has a range of 5 - 12 psi boost. It is a sweet unit. It comes on early and stays strong all through the mid range.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Right. I wouldn't doubt that the stock unit is going to be VERY nice and kick some serious @ss.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I would always start with the blown version of the LS3... your always better off starting with a car that was DESIGNED for boost from the beginning. Start with this, and THEN mod it later on to make huge power...

As for me, I'll take the supercharged 6.2L from the Blue Devil (650hp please)...

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
I would always start with the blown version of the LS3... your always better off starting with a car that was DESIGNED for boost from the beginning. Start with this, and THEN mod it later on to make huge power...

As for me, I'll take the supercharged 6.2L from the Blue Devil (650hp please)...

~LSx
Agreed, I would also take the factory blown motor because it will have been designed with a s/c from the beginning.

Really, I don't see any advantage of getting the regular LS3 and adding your own s/c. It will probably cost about the same as the factory blown version in the end, and the factory version will probably come with many more "extras" like better suspension and brakes that you will miss out on.

If you are concerned about the power, then just add an aftermarket pulley for an instant 80 more horses. I mean, how much power do you really need anyway? If 550 is not enough, add the pulley. If 600-650 is not enough, then check into the looney bin because there is something wrong!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
afterdigital

Drives: CTS 2005
hmmm....0-60 in under 5 - that'll do it for me...

..:::CTS-05, Blue-Chip, 3.6VVT, Brushed-Aluminum Moldings, One MIC (Mobile Information Center), Mesh Grill...

..:::Camaro 2008/09 - I'll take mine in black w/Metallic Stripes down the middle

..:::Finished Project

..:::Blog of my project

..:::CTS Car hacking v1.8 Video
afterdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #10
Rock36
I just like V8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I mean, how much power do you really need anyway? If 550 is not enough, add the pulley. If 600-650 is not enough, then check into the looney bin because there is something wrong!
Hey nobody said I was all right in the head